PDA

View Full Version : Cue Tips

Cuemage
03-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Since I see several pool-golf analogies, I can assume that the tip of a pool cue may be similar to the head of a golf club. Is harder better? What are the hardest tips out there? What kind of tip do you have on your BREAK cue?

The Cuemage

JimS
03-12-2002, 08:40 PM
It seems to depend on taste. I like the Talisman Pro hard on my playing cue and the x-hard on my break cue. Others have agreed but many don't like such a hard tip on their playing cue. It's a matter of personal preference and from what I've read here there is not concensus that one tip hardness is any better than the other.

Those with scientific training have posted here that the extremely hard tips are perhaps slightly more likely to enhance the efficient transfer of energy from the cue to the cue ball.

The Talisman x-hard is as hard as I'd ever care to use on a break cue or any other cue. Hits like a rock...imo.

03-12-2002, 10:03 PM
JimS,

How's the Talisman Pro X-hard on the break cue? Does it really make a big difference?

Thanks!

Tom_In_Cincy
03-12-2002, 10:14 PM
I use the Talisman Pro Hard on my playing cue (Joss) and my break cue (Bludworth) Both keep their shape and need only a little attention with a Willard Tip shaper and just for chalk to hold a little better.. IMO.. great tips..

JimS
03-12-2002, 10:20 PM
I can't say how much difference it makes. I've had it on there for over a year and I like it but frankly I don't think that any tip is going to make a "big difference" in the quality of the break. I put it on because a hard tip was recommended as being the better choice for a break cue and it made sense to me and it was time for a new tip.

I've never had to shave any mushroom off a Talisman tip and seldom have to re-shape the tip and seldom have to rough it up as it holds chalk very well. Now that I think about it it did take a while to get to where it would hold chalk. It is like a rock on the end of the stick. Literally, hard as a rock.

03-13-2002, 12:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cuemage:</font><hr> ...Is harder better? What are the hardest tips out there? What kind of tip do you have on your BREAK cue?

The Cuemage <hr></blockquote>

Eventually I'll put a Talisman WB Hard tip on my break cue. Currently, my break cue has the tip installed at the factory. I'm unsure of the brand. I have no reason to complain about the performance of the factory tip. Therefore, I'll likely make the change to the Talisman tip when the current tip begins to mushroom. On the other hand, tip hardness is likely to be more important on a break cue than on a playing cue since generating a relatively high rate of tip speed is more important when breaking than when executing most other shots. A harder tip is likely to be more efficient all other things being equal. Therefore, I might change tips simply to see if it matters with respect to performance.

I use an Everest tip on my playing cue. I had a LePro prior to the change. I can't say that the Everest tip has made me a better player. It certainly has not made me a worse player. I'll definitely buy another Everest tip when necessary -- about two years from now!

My conclusions about tips as based upon my experience and that reported by others: A good tip is one that needs little maintenance, lasts for years and provides a hit that feels 'right' to the user. A good tip brand is one in which the probability of getting a bad tip is very low.

Steve