PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Food

Fred Agnir
01-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Because of the weather, I had a lot of time indoors (after all the snowblowing), so I decided to make some comfort food for the family. At least, "for the family" is the going excuse. Baklava and a Chocolate Truffle Loaf w/Raspberry Sauce. And once again, since I had the camera out, I decided to take some pictures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/TruffleLoaf.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/Baklava.jpg

I have never attempted anything like either of these, and can now say that other than being time consuming, they aren't too difficult, and the taste is... yummy. All you real chefs, I apologize for not straining the seeds.

Did anyone else do any winter baking yesterday?

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2003, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Did anyone else do any winter baking yesterday?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah right /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Does Bread du Jour from Winn-Dixie count?

cheesemouse
01-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Fred,
I also had a bake/cooking day. I made a chocolate cake from scratch w/frosting, an 18 quart batch of chili and I breaded and fried up a 1/4 loin of porkchops all the while and inbetween times doing my pool drills and practice routine on the pool table which is just off the kitchen. I had the tunes blasting away and dancing all over the place. I can't believe some lady hasn't snatched me up....Oh, I forgot I did laundry and vacumed the whole downstairs in my spare time. I managed to keep up with the ccb and post afew...I didn't take any pictures though......heheheh LOL LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr Ingrate
01-05-2003, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Because of the weather, I had a lot of time indoors (after all the snowblowing), so I decided to make some comfort food for the family. At least, "for the family" is the going excuse. Baklava and a Chocolate Truffle Loaf w/Raspberry Sauce. And once again, since I had the camera out, I decided to take some pictures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/TruffleLoaf.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/Baklava.jpg

I have never attempted anything like either of these, and can now say that other than being time consuming, they aren't too difficult, and the taste is... yummy. All you real chefs, I apologize for not straining the seeds.

Did anyone else do any winter baking yesterday?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,

I don't have any pictures, but I made a couple of purely Canadian favourites, flapper pie and butter tarts. The former is quite simple and the latter just a bit more demanding. Here are the recipes.

--------------------------------------

FLAPPER PIE

Crust
1 1/4 cups Graham wafer crumbs
1/4 cup Sugar, granulated
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Butter, melted

Filling
1/4 cup Sugar, granulated
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 cups Milk
3 Egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Meringue
3 Egg whites
1/4 teaspoon Cream of tartar
2 Tablespoons Sugar, granulated

Crust: Combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; blend in butter. Set 1/8 cup aside. Press remainder onto bottom and sides of 9 inch pie plate. Bake in 375F oven for 8 minutes; cool.

FILLING: In saucepan, mix sugar with cornstarch; blend in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until boiling; stir a little into yolks, then return to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; add vanilla and cool slightly. Pour into pie-crust.

MERINGUE: Beat egg whites with cream of tartar till soft peaks form; gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling, sealing to crust. Top with reserved crumbs. Bake in 400F oven for 5-8 minutes or till lightly browned. Cool to room temperature, about 4 hours.

-----------------------------

BUTTER TARTS

Crust
Use 9 double pie-crust recipe on Crisco package for pastry shells.

Filling
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup raisins
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

Plump raisins by putting them in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cream room temperature butter and gradually add sugar. Beat until light. Add beaten egg. Stir in raisins and lemon juice. Fill pastry-lined tart tin evenly with the mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 12 tarts.

------------------------------

If you try them, let me know what you think.

Karatemom
01-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Does a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich count? LOL.

Heide ~ loves to bake, but hates cleaning up after

Vapros
01-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey, man, you can really cook!! Look.....uh...are you stayin' with anybody right now?

Chris Cass
01-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Who's the angel in the picture? She looks like a daddy's girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
01-06-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Who's the angel in the picture? She looks like a daddy's girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>
That's my big girl, Kayla. She's now 12 years old! My other daughter (Rachel, 10) didn't quite make it into the photo.

Fred