PDA

View Full Version : Rules to playing for money

01-05-2003, 06:08 PM
i don't normally play for money. if i do, it's only in a game of 9-ball with my friend, and we don't play more than $5 per 5- & 9-balls.

but a lot of regular customers play for money at the pool hall i frequent. i was wondering if anyone knew what were common rules when playing for money. i've heard terms like "texas" being used, but uncertain what it was referring to. thanks for sharing your knowledge

Leviathan
01-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Greetings, pj.

Most people play by the BCA (World Standardized) Rules or by the Texas Express Rules. You can find these at http://bca-pool.com and at http://www.texasexpress.com.

You should learn these rules thoroughly if you're going to bet. But the most important thing is to discuss the rules with your opponent, and come to an understanding about them, before you get into a game.

And then for God's sake be sensible about gambling. Small money has a way of growing fast. An innocent little pastime can become a big problem before you know what's happening to you.

Please excuse me for preaching at you!

Duke Mantee

bigbro6060
01-05-2003, 11:14 PM
my rule for gambling is that whatever money i gamble with i consider already spent, just like going on a nite out

01-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Playing for money can be fun, if you do it with fun being your objective. Some of my best times have been playing ring games with friends for a few bucks a stick. And I think the pressure of playing for money can be a good learning experience. But, be careful who you match up with. I always made it a habit to only match up with people I know and was comfortable would pay if they lost, and wouldn't roll me in the parking lot after!

snipershot
01-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Make the rules crystal clear before you start, be careful who you're playing, and never bet more money than you have or can afford. (there's some good stories behind that one!)

Chris Cass
01-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Post the money up. Set the rules in stone before the game. Don't stand for any BS. When down and asking for weight. Don't say I need this or I quit and not break your cue stick down. As long as it's togather there is no negotiating. JAT

One foul BIH and nothing spots.

C.C.

Terry
01-06-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm not a gambler, but I would say NEVER change the bet,game,weight,table or anything else.Agree on a time frame on which the winner can stop the session and make sure the loser can cut his/her loses anytime they choose ( which in both cases means at the end of each game/set depending on what your playing to ). Terry

smfsrca
01-06-2003, 02:57 PM
If you are playing weaker players you will usually win and eventually they will no longer play you.
---
If you are playing stronger players you will usually lose and eventually you will no longer play them.
---
Stronger players who like to gamble will be willing to give you weight as long as they believe they have an edge.
---
Weaker players who like to gamble will play if you give them weight and they believe you don't have an edge.
---