PDA

View Full Version : advice on 14.1 safety play

thepoolnerd
01-06-2003, 10:17 AM
My 14.1 game needs improvement in the defensive department. Very little has been written about it. I always seem to be the one to "sell the farm". When is it the right move to take a scratch? I heard Grady say that grazing the rack and going uptable is a bad move because you could leave a dead one. Is this true? Any advice will be appreciated.

Rich R.
01-06-2003, 10:33 AM
There is always the chance of leaving a dead ball, by grazing the rack.
However, if you are the first one to take a scratch, and your opponent decides to trade scratches, you are also the first one to get 3 scratches and a hefty penalty.
When, where and how to take a scratch will come with experience and a few lost games.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-06-2003, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> My 14.1 game needs improvement in the defensive department. Very little has been written about it. I always seem to be the one to "sell the farm".

<font color="red">Play Your Best Straight Pool by Phil Cappelle has a whole chapter on safeties. It's very good.

Also The Straight Pool Bible by A. Cranfield and L. Moy </font color>

When is it the right move to take a scratch?

<font color="red">You mean an intentional foul? When your opponent is on one foul and the CB is in the pack. Others more knowledgable than me will hopefully contribute more.</font color>

I heard Grady say that grazing the rack and going uptable is a bad move because you could leave a dead one.

<font color="red">Sometimes that's the only choice you have. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>