PDA

View Full Version : ####leonard

01-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi, I read an earlier post from yourself about a match between Mosconi and Rex Williams at the Jackie Gleason golf course. Could you shed some light on who Rex Williams was? We had a former English Billiards and Snooker champion here in England by that name and i just wondered if it was the same one ....Thanx Jason /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
01-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Same guy...Rex Williams and Willie Mosconi did an exhibition tour across the U.S. together in the mid 70's. I think it was sponsored by Black Velvet whisky. I saw them play at the Denver Athletic Club.

Scott Lee

#### leonard
01-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Jason, Rex Williams and Eddie Charlton of Australia both played in a couple of world 14.1 Championships in the mid 60s at the Hotel Commodore in NYC. Their shotmaking was superb, their knowledge of straight pool was weak. In that era tournaments were round robin so you were at least guaranteed 14 games of pool. For the wise it was a great learning experience, for the lesser players who never watched their opponents play they might as well stayed home.

Onifrio Lauri my canidate for Pool Laureate and Hall of Fame was 9-5 one year. He beat the nine top finishers and lost to the bottom 5 finishers. ####