PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A Positive Face: Pool on TV

Scott Lee
01-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks to Wally, for posting his listing of The Pretender, today on TNT. Jarod, the main character (who can do anything and be anybody, with a little study), is a high-stakes poolplayer, playing for $500-$1000 a game. The best part is that he does it with a HOUSE cue! The bad guy shows an ebony & ivory "$50,000 Richard Black" cue, which was quite beautiful...but they never showed him shooting with it. Jarod's honor is above reproach, always, and it's nice to see him portray someone we all want to be the "good guy"...even if he gambles! LOL Jarod "finishes off" the bad guy when it's hill-hill, with a beautiful masse' to carom the CB into the 9, for the case win for $50,000! LOL...only in the movies!

Scott Lee

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2003, 07:45 AM
I taped that yesterday. Have not watched it yet. Now you've spoiled the ending /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I never would have guessed Jarod would win LOL

I'm gonna check the credits to see if they mention a technical adviser. Probably not.

Scott Lee
01-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Wally...I didn't tape it, but clicked onto it as it was starting...so the credits ran too fast for me to see. If I had to guess, I would say it was my buddy Chef Anton. He lives in S. CA, and is often called as a technical advisor for tv shows with pool involved.

Scott Lee

Fran Crimi
01-07-2003, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I'm gonna check the credits to see if they mention a technical adviser. Probably not. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, it's good of you to mention that. There's always someone behind the scenes working his or her butt off to please a director. And lemme tell you, some of these directors are brutal. They have this idea in their head of what the want and the tech advisor has to sometimes make a miracle to make it happen.

I was doing Guiding Light once, and in my meeting with the director to discuss the shoot, he casually told me he wanted me to rack an 8 ball rack, break the balls and make them all go in on the break. The man hadn't a clue.

My most gratifying experience was not working with Pacino, like most people would think... that was pretty cool but three weeks of total stress. The best for me was working on this one film that never quite made it. (Probably because it stank. Haha!) I just saw it on cable this week. It's called "Looking for an Echo" with Armand Asante and Diane Venora. My job was to teach Diane (who never held a cue in her life) to run out a rack of 8 ball, and I had two weeks to do it, the director wanted half the shots to be fairly difficult, and he wanted her to move around the table a lot. Plus, she had to shoot all the shots herself, and look like she knew what she was doing. In the scene, Armand Asante takes her out on a date, they wind up in a pool hall and she runs out on him, all the while carrying on a conversation. Yikes. The director let me choreagraph the shots but I couldn't change the dialogue. (Wish I could have changed that too..."Ace in your face." " Deuce in the caboose." Ugh.)

Anyway, I worked every day with Diane for two weeks, preparing her for this 5 minute scene. She was popping Valerians for her nerves (the health food version of Valium) I hadn't slept in two weeks, and finally the day of the big shoot came.

The first thing I did when I walk into the pool room was spill an entire cup of coffee on a pool table, 86o Simonis. Great. OK, so the film company picks up the tab on that. While I'm mopping that up, with the room owner yelling at me, the Producer and Director come over and ask, "Are you sure she's ready?" I force a smile. "Yep. She's ready." Then Diane calls me over to a corner where she's pacing and popping Valerians. "I don't think I can do this, Fran." (I'm scared to death, but I tell her she's ready.) It's getting closer to the shoot. They call me over to set up the table and describe her actions to the camera crew.

Finally, we hear, "Quiet on the set!" The actors take their positions..."Camera....ACTION!"

She nailed it. She absolutely nailed it. She was truly amaziing. The director yelled, "CUT! We all waited with anticipation as they reviewed the scene on a monitor." Five minutes later the director comes back. "OK folks, that's a wrap!" We did it in one take.

The place erupted in cheers. The director came over to me, dragged me into the middle of the room for a round of applause and everyone clapped and cheered. Everyone hugged Diane and me. As they were wrapping up, Armand Asante came over to me and and extended his hand. He said, "I just have to shake your hand because I believe I just witnessed a miracle."

Not every experience turns out as good as this one did, but every once in awhile, it happens.

Fran ~~~ Big congrats to Robert LeBlanc for Pool Hall Junkies." I can only imagine how hard you worked! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JoePickens
01-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Fran,

Nice story. I haven't posted many messages here, but I've been around forever. Glad you're back.

Joe

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2003, 01:40 PM
thanx for the story. Armand Assante was Goldie Hawn's husband in "Private Benjamin". Good-looking guy but he looked real short. Pacino's kinda short too isn't he?

How do producers know where to find technical advisers?
.................................................. ..................

additional airings:

12:45 PM STRZ5E Wednesday, 8

Looking for an Echo 105 min. The former lead singer of a doo-wop group (Armand Assante) gets a shot at making a comeback when he is offered the chance to reunite with his band. Diane Verona. Vic: Joe Grifasi. Augie: Tom Mason. Nappy: Anthony John Dennison. Directed by Martin Davidson. (VCR Plus+ 26387309)

Cast: Armand Assante, Diane Venora, Joe Grifasi, Tom Mason, Anthony John Dennison, Johnny Williams, Edoardo Ballerini, Christy Romano, David Vadim, Monica Trombetta Rating: R Content: Strong Language Category: Movie, Drama Director: Martin Davidson Release Year: 2000
================================================== ====
3:45 PM STZCMw Wednesday, 8

Looking for an Echo
================================================== ======================
2:20 PM STRZ5E Tuesday, 14

Looking for an Echo

================================================== =
5:20 PM STZCMw Tuesday, 14

Looking for an Echo

Fran Crimi
01-07-2003, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> thanx for the story. Armand Assante was Goldie Hawn's husband in "Private Benjamin". Good-looking guy but he looked real short. Pacino's kinda short too isn't he?
<hr /></blockquote>

Yup. They're both short. Armand isn't as short as Pacino, though. Al is about 5 - 6", maybe even shorter. He wore platform shoes in "Carlito's Way." Armand is really good-looking --- doesn't need all that much makeup. Al, on the other hand, needs makeup. I was in shock when I first met him. He has this weather-beaten face with big bags under his eyes. After the make-up there was a complete transformation.

Also, Diane Venora played Clint Eastward's wife in "Heat." She got the call from "Clint" that she got the role one day when we were practicing the pool scene and she nearly jumped out of her shoes. I told her to say hi to Clint for me. She did, and I freaked.

About your question on how a producer knows who to call...they network with each other. They'll just call up someone who had a pool shooting scene and ask who they used. You just kinda have to get lucky the first couple of times to get your foot in the door, like being at the right place at the right time. But you can't afford to mess up once. If you mess up, you're history because word gets out. That's why there's so much pressure.

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-07-2003, 03:05 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
01-07-2003, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About your question on how a producer knows who to call...they network with each other. They'll just call up someone who had a pool shooting scene and ask who they used. You just kinda have to get lucky the first couple of times to get your foot in the door, like being at the right place at the right time. But you can't afford to mess up once. If you mess up, you're history because word gets out. That's why there's so much pressure.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Oooooooohhhhh... So that's how you landed the "Chicken Woman" job.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~go on Fran, tell 'em... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
01-07-2003, 04:28 PM
OK, ok...1999 maybe? I forgot the year. Bud Light big time Superbowl commercial. I get called to shoot pool between the legs of a live chicken with a cue ball shaped like an egg. The egg cue ball is doing u-turns on me, the chicken keeps turning around and pecking at me. The chicken has to take about 10 breaks a day, there's some kind of law on cruelty to chickens.

39 Hours to film a 30 second commercial, all the chicken's fault. The director wanted it to be perfect and kept re-taping perfectly good shots. We did make it to the Superbowl, though. Got rated 9th I think.

Barbara's been calling me the chicken woman ever since.

Fran

Wally_in_Cincy
01-11-2003, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Wally...I didn't tape it, but clicked onto it as it was starting...so the credits ran too fast for me to see. If I had to guess, I would say it was my buddy Chef Anton. He lives in S. CA, and is often called as a technical advisor for tv shows with pool involved.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

I watched it yesterday. There was no credit given for technical adviser.

Obviously some good player was involved because the show was really well done IMO. The only part that was a bit off was when the girl, who was supposed to be a good player, chalked her stick and then blew on it. Of course it was just done for dramatic effect.

Also you have to be able to accept the fact that Jarod was able to become a jam-up player in just a few days. But, then again, that's the whole premise of the show /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

CarolNYC
01-15-2003, 07:56 AM
OOOOOOHHHHH-OOOOH-OOHHHHH-I feel like Arnold Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter,ha ha ha,Fran,
Can I mention the editing and technical advising being done at this time and the future adventures we will be enduring?ha ha ha ha!
Carol~waiting, waiting patiently!:)