PDA

View Full Version : Pool injury

Hopster
01-06-2003, 04:31 PM
I got a problem, i started playing again after a long layoff and my left hamstring has been giving me hell. Im a right handed played so im putting most of my weight on my left leg. It started a week after i started playing , then i took it easy on it and it faded. Now i had to lay off playing for about 3 weeks and i played again the other day for about 4 hours and its nagging me again. Anyone have any similar experience ?
I dont do any excercise so to speak and im only in my early forties.

Karatemom
01-06-2003, 04:49 PM
From what I can tell from your post, we have a similar stance. I, too, am right handed and put probably 60% of my weight on my front leg. Just recently, I started shooting more than I usually do, and my left leg gave me some trouble as well for the next couple of days. It hurt like hell to walk, but I could shoot without pain. Well, I didn't let it get the better of me and went about my usual activities, cleaning house, going to the store, etc. Within 2 days, it was gone. I hope it doesn't come back anytime soon.

Without a doubt, keeping your legs toned is a major plus in this game. You don't realize how much you really use them until you don't for a while, LOL.

Heide

phil in sofla
01-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Hammies are nagging injuries. This problem most likely relates to tightness rather than a muscular strain from exertion (not a lot of exertion in the pool stance).

Two things may help, one obvious, one not so obvious. Stretching the hamstring (obvious) and stretching the quadracepts (not obvious). But the muscles in the body work with another set providing the equal and opposite movement, and troubles in one can lead to troubles in the other.

Stretching involves doing the opposite of what the muscle's action would normally do. The hamstring normally would move the foot upwards, to the rear, towards your butt. Stretching it would involve moving the foot the other way, forwards. Sitting with legs outstretched with your back against a wall would stretch the hamstring. More stretching still would result from taking your head toward your knee in that same position. Don't bounce.

The quadracept kicks your foot out in the front when flexed. To stretch it, take your foot up and back behind you, pulling it upwards toward your butt.

In either exercise, go slowly to the maximum position you can attain, hold it for a count of 10, relax, and then repeat about 10 times, to begin with.

9 Ball Girl
01-06-2003, 11:36 PM
I, too, am a rightie and probably have the same stance that you do. If it gets really bad, do you think that maybe if you changed your stance it would help it. Something more where you can distribute the weight. Perhaps maybe spreading your legs evenly as to not put more weight on one than the other. JAT /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hopster
01-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Phil, thanks for the excercise advice, it makes sense. I thought i was over this crap and it starts all over but not as bad as the first time it hit me. It first started about 3 months ago after i played again for the first time. Now when i say i was hurting for a week afterwards i aint kidding. Gradually it subsided, now i got to start all over.
Anyway, thanks Karatemom and 9 ball girl for the input and Phil, you KNOW im going to be stretching from now on.

phil in sofla
01-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Good luck with that hammie!

Funny thing is MY hamstrings and lower back were so tight when I first started playing seriously that I really couldn't even get down on a shot all the way. Doing NOTHING but playing (I've always hated to stretch, finding it painful and embarrassing how inflexible I am), I must have stretched out over time, and now get down as far as I like on shots.

01-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Funny that you mention it. I started playing pool at a young age, about 8 or so -- my best friend who happened to be my neighbor had a table, so I was there all the time. I played up through school, college, and then my game really took off when I was in the Army. I played sometimes 8-9 hours a day on off-days, and shot in every base/post tournament I could. In those days, I would have laughed if somebody suggested you could actually get *sore* from playing pool.

Then I got married, had kids, and quit the game cold-turkey for about 12 years. A few months ago the pool bug bit me again and I went out and bought my own table (a Brunswick Avalon). Now that I'm much older and in absolutely horrible shape, since I started playing again I had TERRIBLE lower back tightness and pain along with left hamstring pain. I'm talking take-your-breath-away and can't-get-out-of-bed pain. But I've been working on exercising and stretching more now, and it has been getting better, although much slower than in my younger and tougher days (go figure? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

Grit your teeth, hang in there and tolerate it as best you can without doing permanent injury, and I expect you'll see improvement as well.

David