PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Etiquette Questions/Opinions

01-06-2003, 04:44 PM
I've been playing for awhile, but I'm just starting out in tourneys (local pool hall tourneys, nothing big). Here are some questions on tourney etiquette.
1. considered rude to make your opponent shoot the 9-ball with BIH?
2. opponent miscues on break- give him another shot, or your break?
3. opponent accidentally nudges the cue ball before he shoots, making very little difference- let it go or BIH for you?
4. this is more of a rules question-you shoot the OB softly but it doesnt drop, nor contact a rail, is it a foul?
5. Does the 3-foul rule apply in small local tourneys?
6. shake hands before and after match?
7. I assume the PH owners allow masse and jump shots during tourneys right?
Thanks!

eg8r
01-06-2003, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. considered rude to make your opponent shoot the 9-ball with BIH? <font color="red"> No. The opponent is supposed to shoot it in. I never give the ball to my opponent in a tournament. </font color>
2. opponent miscues on break- give him another shot, or your break? <font color="red"> In general I will let them shoot again. </font color>
3. opponent accidentally nudges the cue ball before he shoots, making very little difference- let it go or BIH for you? <font color="red"> I am too nice sometimes and will let them go again. If they are arrogant or try to hide it and I saw it I will call them on it and take BIH </font color>
4. this is more of a rules question-you shoot the OB softly but it doesnt drop, nor contact a rail, is it a foul? <font color="red"> This is foul and I take BIH </font color>
5. Does the 3-foul rule apply in small local tourneys? <font color="red"> That is up to the rules of the tourney and you can ask the TD </font color>
6. shake hands before and after match? <font color="red"> Always provided the other guy is not a sore loser. </font color>
7. I assume the PH owners allow masse and jump shots during tourneys right? <font color="red"> Not always true. Ask the TD </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

I hope that helps.

eg8r

Scott Lee
01-06-2003, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> I've been playing for awhile, but I'm just starting out in tourneys (local pool hall tourneys, nothing big). Here are some questions on tourney etiquette.
3. opponent accidentally nudges the cue ball before he shoots, making very little difference- let it go or BIH for you?
4. this is more of a rules question-you shoot the OB softly but it doesnt drop, nor contact a rail, is it a foul?
Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

9balljunior...
1) whether they think it is rude or not doesn't matter. The rule is they have to shoot the shot. Some tournaments you will lose the game, if you "give up" the shot on the 9! ALWAYS make them shoot, and ALWAYS shoot it yourself! By not doing it yourself, you don't develope the killer instinct to finish out the game (by making the 9)!

2)This is your own personal etiquette. As a teacher, I ALWAYS show them how to chalk, aim at the middle, and give them another try. In a tournament, it would be, "Sorry!", as I hand him the chalk, and take ball-in-hand!

3)Again, here, it depends on the house rules. If you are playing "league rules" it always means a ball-in-hand foul.
If you're playing 'bar rules', they might be able to get away with a "nudge".

4)tournament/league rules: yes; bar rules: maybe or maybe not.

5) Sometimes, but usually not. Ask the T.D. if the 3-foul rule is in effect. If they ask, "what's that?", say never mind! LOL

6)always!

7) LOL This REALLY depends on the owner. Some room owners are VERY strict about jumps and masse's...others don't care.
If I were you, I'd find out first, before being called out by the owner. Sometimes it depends on whether they think you know the stroke or not.

Good questions!

Scott Lee

Rod
01-06-2003, 05:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> I've been playing for awhile, but I'm just starting out in tourneys (local pool hall tourneys, nothing big). Here are some questions on tourney etiquette.

No that's part of the game.

It's your break, believe me they won't give it to you especially if your winning

BIH for you, same as above

Yes

Usually not but check with the TD

Definately

Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

Most do but again check with the TD
Just a note, when your playing in a tourney, play by the rules and expect everyone else to abide by those rules. Your not out to win a popularity contest, your out to win. You can be popular by being friendly before or after matches though. When your playing for fun or with friends let them get away with anything if you choose. Personally even in friendly matches we call all fouls, just because it's the rules. It's good to get use to them. There ain't no overs gambling or tournament.

01-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for all of the tips guys. I have a follow up on #2- If you have bih with a untouched, unbroken rack, what do you do with it? Do you take a normal break behind the headstring as usual or is there a more advantageous spot?

Rod
01-06-2003, 10:53 PM
junior,
It depends on what rules you play by. BCA and Texas Express are different rules. TE says on an illegal break you rerack and break behind the headstring. BCA says you have BIH. Check with the TD on that ruling. If you have BIH playing BCA rules, and the three foul rule is in effect. You could thin the one ball and hook your opponent behind the rack causing a second foul if not hit. With BIH hitting the one first you hook him again, if not hit you win the game on the third foul. Other than that you could place the c/b a little closer to the rack, but being real close is not an advantage IMO. The way I use to run tournaments is you always break behind the headstring. So like I say check with the TD.

01-08-2003, 09:07 PM
If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, junior, I'd like to add one that's been nagging at me for awhile too.

When you have BIH and there's a gimme combo on the 9, do you take it for the easy win?

When I play pool, I take the game and the rules seriously. Unless it's a goof-off game between friends, I play to win and I play by the rules. Obviously if it's a tournament or a big money game, or if I want to hold a coin-op table, I'll take the easy win in a heartbeat. But some people get really REALLY offended when you do, though. They claim it isn't "sporting." Not everybody has the same passion for the purity of the game, I guess. If I'm in a strange place playing with strange people, I usually err on the side of caution and don't take it, or spot the 9 if they make to big a deal out of it. But I'm curious what others' experiences have been.

David

qSHAFT
01-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Regarding miscues and cue ball "taps", on the break or when ever - always try to set a good example when you do this yourself and pick up the ball and hand them the cue ball.

If you get a reputation for doing this then when the opposition does it to you they are more likely to give you the same treadment, or at least they will think you fair when you take BIH.