PDA

View Full Version : Do u Adjust your aim when Down on the Shot ?

bigbro6060
01-06-2003, 06:47 PM
It's been said that all good players do their aiming before they get down for the shot.

I have to admit, i never thought about it, but yes when i get down for the shot, i rarely do any aim adjusting and it's amazing that how i just pull the trigger and the ball (hopefully) goes in.

when i do fidget when down on the shot, i invariably miss

i guess one must be disiplined enough to if one is not comfortable with the shot to stand back up , reaim from above and get back into the shot

thoughts ?

phil in sofla
01-06-2003, 07:01 PM
I do my aiming once down on the shot. However, I'm clearly getting that line while standing up, since I do not need to adjust that line once I'm down. I find that a little surprising, actually, since I do not know or realize I'm particularly getting a line standing up, but I appear to be.

jjinfla
01-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Main aim from on top and fine tune when down on shot. And if I find myself doing too much aiming when down hopefully I get up and start over. Jake

snipershot
01-07-2003, 12:57 AM
I never adjust my aim when I am down and preparing to pull the trigger on a shot, if I have any doubts I stand up and review the shot closely, then I go back down and shoot according to what I have seen.

bigbro6060
01-07-2003, 05:38 PM
any others ?

Rod
01-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Bro,
You can't aim perfect standing up. True you align your body and step into the shot but that doesn't mean it's right on. I may make some very tiny adjustments when down. If my stance, alignment, or balance is off or not comfortable then I stand back up and adjust. Even then there is very tiny movements to make it perfect. It's not something I dwell on it's just part of my routine settling into the shot. Look at the pro's, they make small adjustments to. Even if it's just moving a finger on their bridge hand. All systems need to be on go before you pull the trigger.

bigbro6060
01-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Rod, true mate, you can't aim standing up, but aren't you amazed at how for the majority of the time, you step into your stance, get down on the shot, are you are right on the money ?

I guess it's all about muscle memory.

Vapros
01-07-2003, 07:55 PM
The view of the shot that I get while standing is the best one I will ever see. Frequently, when I get down on it, it seems to need a bit of adjustment, and I have to fight off the urge to change. It's just about always a mistake to adjust my aim after I get down.

Ryan
01-08-2003, 07:27 AM
I always determine the line standing up, but often make extremely fine adjustments once down in my stance.

In fine adjustments, I'm referring more to the exact point of contact on the CB rather than the line between CB and OB.

Fred Agnir
01-08-2003, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> It's been said that all good players do their aiming before they get down for the shot.
<hr /></blockquote>
I don't think this is the saying, therefore I think the entire thread has gone to pot... kidding.

All good players do their planning standing up. All good players most definitely do their aiming while down on the shot. There's no way you can see the aimpoint until you're down in your stance.

Although I hate the gun analogy, you don't aim (your gun) until you're in your (shooting) stance. I think that's true with every sport.

Fred

Hopster
01-08-2003, 04:10 PM
I usually map out things while im standing and fine tune them while im down.
An interesting change i have made and seen great results from is when i get down i have the cue lined up with my right eye. I used to aim with both eyes, now its my dominant eye thats doing all the work. Amazing how its changed my game.