PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ball Safety Priorities

bigbro6060
01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
When you don't have a shot, or you don't have a runout on in 8ball, i guess your safety options can be broken down as follows

a) position the whitey to snooker (hook) your opponent from all balls

b) break a cluster

c) move one of your balls over a pocket to block it

With a good shot, you should be able to achieve two of the above three goals

so the questions is

which of the above two would you consider the biggest priorities ? and are there any other major objectives of an 8ball safety shot

snipershot
01-07-2003, 01:04 AM
IMO,my first and foremost priority of these is to snooker my opponent, no matter what I make sure I don't put my opponent in a position to run the table, after that I will try to break a cluster if it consists of my balls and only my balls. My last priority would be to block a pocket with one of my balls or to free a blocked pocket up. But no matter what I make sure I hook the opponent as good as possible.

eg8r
01-07-2003, 06:41 AM
I would also add, moving whitey over to the side of your opponents ball where he will not be able to shoot it into a pocket or hit any of his other balls (try to freeze up on the ball if possible).

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2003, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr>
<font color="red">Priority JMHO </font color>
a) position the whitey to snooker (hook) your opponent from all balls

b) break a cluster.....
<hr /></blockquote>

This happened last night. I was able to do both <font color="blue">a </font color> and <font color="blue">b</font color> on consecutive shots. Poof...both clusters gone. Got BIH both times and won the game.

Bassn7
01-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Just a hint here: Play one goal at a time. Numerous players try to block a pocket AND hide the cue ball, or bank a ball and play safe. Try to do ONE thing perfectly and get the second one done if it happens. Too many people try two things and end up getting neither.

01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Just a hint here: Play one goal at a time. Numerous players try to block a pocket AND hide the cue ball, or bank a ball and play safe. Try to do ONE thing perfectly and get the second one done if it happens. Too many people try two things and end up getting neither. <hr /></blockquote>

respectfully, i'll disagree there. this really isn't different from making a ball and shooting position. breaking the cluster and hiding the c.b. is doable a lot of the time.

dan

Bassn7
01-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Experienced players complete 2 tasks quite easily. Beginners need to complete 1 thing at a time though.

landshark1002000
01-07-2003, 08:29 PM
All of your tactical reasons for playing a safety are important. But imo, your own answer (given a variety of situations) comes from what your bigger goals are.
Delaying the opponent's offense is always a necessity when you can't run out. But hooking him/her without trying to develop your ball group might be wasting time. If multiple problems remain then this bigger goal (developing your ball group into a runnable table) may be what helps you decide how to play and what to shoot. Maybe if the hook forces the opponent to help your development; then it would advance your chances toward a runout.
Robert Byrne wrote that all things being equal, the player with the superior strategy in 8 ball usually wins.

bigbro6060
01-07-2003, 08:56 PM
I should add that the rules we play by in AUstralia and also the World rules used by 8ball in England and other countries has a foul giving 2 visits instead of ball in hand.

This does change the strategy a bit

qSHAFT
01-07-2003, 11:58 PM
Hey BigBro,

Saw a fellow ozzy on here so you inspired me to register so I can post once again (used to post anon many moons ago).

What part of the country are you from?

Just wondering cause in NSW most of the players use WPA international 8 ball rules. Guess your probably a victorian - some damm good players down there, especially mifsid and younger.

8 ball is my main game but I play some 9 &amp; straight for a change.

If my balls are clustered and really bad off compared to the opposition, I will try and lock up one of their balls with one of mine (and hookem if I can). The location of the opponents ball I am locking is important, you have to have a good ball to break the cluster and they don't. Then once that is secured I will break other clusters (of my balls ofcourse) and try to hook them till the table is clear. Once they are all in the open I will use the break ball to release the locked up balls and runout.

Cheers.

bigbro6060
01-08-2003, 01:12 AM
hey mate, i'm from Perth in Western Australia, the other side of this large land /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I play by the Australia Eightball Federation rules

they can be found here

http://www.aebf.asn.au/world8ballrules.htm

Interesting if other rules are played in another state

actually this is one thing which pisses me off about 8 Ball and actually Pool in general, the non standardisation of the rules!

Tennis is played by one set of rules, Golf etc etc

why can't Pool ?

qSHAFT
01-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Hi BigBro

Yeah, I used to play on the english type tables when I first started (the free uni table was one) with the two shot rules. But since leaving uni I discovered that all the serious play in Sydney is on american style (pockets) bar boxs using international 8. It is very much the standard here (as I think it should be everywhere).

Can't say that I miss the old ways - ball in hand gives a much stronger tactical side to the game. It also lets you shoot any shot on the table and not feel guily about stuff like potting an opponents ball directly, cause they get ball in hand as compensation - eliminating the concept of "dirty" pool, which is important to me because I love a good safe strategic game. I once played a single lockup game against a mate here that went for 45mins, perfectly trading safes, not giving anything away - wasn't boring for a sec (the opposition finally snapped and broke the cluster that we had been avoiding all the time and I got through).

Certainly though my potting skills have slacken cause of the velupuous pockets. Oh well can't be perfect - always go to the club and get in some snooker if I need to sharpen the aim up.

Cheers.