PDA

View Full Version : Archer/Sambajon tuesday?????????????

cueball1950
03-13-2002, 12:28 AM
who won Tuesday night between them??/////////mike

03-13-2002, 12:53 AM
I just called there. Archer wins 15-12. I think the race took around 5 hours. I wonder why so long?

cueball1950
03-13-2002, 12:56 AM
must have bee a tough set.. Lots of safes or maybe alot of stalling... Joe... are you going the the tournament in Rochester.. The one that is $5,000 added? ,,,,,,mike

03-13-2002, 01:08 AM
yep I'll be there and vf also. joe

Ken
03-13-2002, 01:13 AM
Santos Sambajon had an early 2 game lead but Johnny Archer answered with 3 games to take an early lead in the race to 15. Santos answered with 4 wins to make it 6-3. Johnny would not lead again until game 19 when he got in front 10-9. Santos then won 3 games to make it 12-10 and it looked like he was on his way to force a third race to 15. Great saftey play and shot making gave Johnny the next 5 games despite Santos' having several good opportunities.

The match was played on a Gold Crown III in Santos' home room with 4 inch corner pockets and 4 1/2 inch side pockets. The shot making was incredible but it seems the triple shimmed pockets gave Sabajon more difficulty that it did Archer.

It was a very intense match with the players taking considerable time studying their shots. It took almost 6 hours. No stinking shot clock or jump sticks. There is absolutely no way that pool of this level could be played with a shot clock.

Ken in CT

03-13-2002, 08:13 AM
Ken, was that you taking notes?

Fred

03-13-2002, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Joe T:</font><hr> I just called there. Archer wins 15-12. I think the race took around 5 hours. I wonder why so long? <hr></blockquote>

There weren't a lot of B&amp;R's, and there were some tremendous safety battles on Tuesday. I assume it was the same on Wedneseday. Tight 4" pockets. Couple that with Archer taking about 3 minutes per shot. Brutally fascinating.

I think that anyone who has never seen truly high level play in longer races live (not TV or Accustats) are simply missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures. By "truly high level", I'm talking about the Archers, Varners, Halls, Reyeses, of the world.

Fred

Ken
03-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Yes that was me taking notes. I was particularly interested in determining the number of misses by each player but it got tiresome after a while Tureday with all the safetys going back and forth.

Fred Agnir
03-13-2002, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> Yes that was me taking notes. I was particularly interested in determining the number of misses by each player but it got tiresome after a while Tureday with all the safetys going back and forth. <hr></blockquote>

I thought I posted this, but maybe not. Anyway, and you didn't say "hi"? I was standing right next to you.

Fred &lt;~~~ didn't say "hi" either.

Ken
03-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Fred, I didn't think it was you since it didn't seem likely you would have driven so far before a work day. I just assumed it was someone who resembled you somewhat. The only other time I've seen you is from a distance and you were with Jean Balukas but I didn't see her with you. There's no reason you would have recognized me, of course.

Ken

03-13-2002, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr>
It was a very intense match with the players taking considerable time studying their shots. It took almost 6 hours. No stinking shot clock or jump sticks. There is absolutely no way that pool of this level could be played with a shot clock.

Ken in CT <hr></blockquote>

YES! Someone else who agrees with me on shot clocks! They are bad for the game. That's one of the reasons why you usually see such terrible Pool on ESPN. It amazes me how many people think that pro's always play with a 30 second shot clock, and think that the Pool they are seeing on ESPN is the best Pool can be played. Most of those pro's shoot much slower and much better without a 30 second shot clock.