PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Ferrules

01-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Just out of curiousity, what is the probability that it would be possible to replace a cue that came with a synthetic ferrule with an ivory ferrule?

Rod
01-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Sure it can be done. Any good pro shop can do the job. I'm just not sure why you would want to.

01-07-2003, 01:32 AM
I don't plan on switching, the topic just come up between a vegan friend and I .I am a vegetarian who tries to limit my dependance on animal products but I am willing to make a sacrifices here and there. In anycase, our conversation just got started about how horrible it must be for a vegan involved in serious sports events. In pool, obviously there is the problem of cue tips(there are synthetic tips but I question how they play). In football, baseball, basketball, or soccer, if you play in any serious league you are doomed to playing with an animal product. My friend just plays with house cues, however he said if he were to buy a cue he would do what he could to avoid using animal products on the cue. I just thought it would be funny to outfit one of my extra cues with ivory accessories and give it to him as a gift. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But then I began to think of the cost... still curiousity beckoned me to ask the question.

Rod
01-07-2003, 01:47 AM
I see, well in this case you could mammoth ivory. Since they haven't been around for 10,000 years or so. I imagine in the case of tips and other sports balls there just using whats left over from the processing houses. It's not like there killing animals for the purpose of the leather. Anyway I understand where your comming from.

Chris Cass
01-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Soygordo,

Two things going on here. I doubt that he'd eat the cue. The other that bothers me is how does money come into play for a friend? I could understand if it was something outragous that you couldn't afford. The other being a joke would be a cruel thing. Maybe rethink your position. Why not go out of your way, and have a ferrule made from another material that would make him happy?

IMHO,

C.C.