PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair?

snipershot
01-07-2003, 12:50 AM
I went out to the bar tonight and we were playing eight ball. I was shooting extremely well all night and I held the table for several hours until I gave it up( this is a small local bar and there is only one table in it ). Is it fair to hold the table all night when playing social games and other players are eager to play or should you just keep that table to yourself?

Rod
01-07-2003, 01:04 AM
I don't know, do you feel guilty?LOL I have before for a short time then give the table away. To me it's not fun to keep beating people that don't play well. Sometimes it drives them off to another place. OTH your a paying customer with good money.

Chris Cass
01-07-2003, 01:05 AM
It's fair to hold the table as long as you can. I would make them play for atleast something but that's personal prefference. So, if your asked to give it up for money play then I see nothing wrong with it, but still your choice. Don't feel guilty for being the best in the place. Feel great and take the night to it's fullest enjoyment. IMHO Unless your the kind of player that lets people win because you feel guilty about winning for yourself?

Myself, unless there's action or I am not having fun? I'm at the point, unless I think I can have some fun I won't even put up the quarters. I can tell a shooter within 10 minutes after watching them final stroke.

Regards,

C.C.~~ Tom Cruise felt so bad for the old guy with the hole in his throat. LOL

nAz
01-07-2003, 01:09 AM
Nothing wrong with that,i have done that few times before,although i would get a few people pissed when after they would wait an hour or more i would break and run on them lol.
besides think of how happy the person that beats you will be /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
01-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Well you and Chris are just a couple of meanies, or is that weenies /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
01-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Believe me, I don't feel guilty if I keep winning, I just don't want to deny others the chance to play who are eager to play, if they keep losing they might lose interest in the game, or they might decide to give up the game altogether.

Chris Cass
01-07-2003, 01:20 AM
My point exactly nAz,

Tough luck, if you can't handle it, don't play. I learned my lesson along time ago playing with a woman. I missed a few times and ended up losing the table. She begged me the entire time to miss so she could get a shot. I do, she wins and I'm out and she's braggin how she beat my a$$. Then, the next lump gets up there and beats her flat. No more baby, I'm out....

Regards,

C.C.~~Couldn't give Fran, Carol, Barbara, Gayle, SPetty, 9BG, Karatemom a chance to shoot. Fran, I'd have to keep in jail and Carol, well lets put it this way. knowing how she jumps, she'd never see a clear shot either. LOLLOL Sorry ladies, you brought it on yourselves. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
01-07-2003, 06:05 AM
HI Rod,

Speaking for myself only. Thanks for the compliments. LOL Like you'd ever give me a shot. HAHAHAHA I see his point but my point is, although I don't have a high intelligence. I wouldn't want to insult others by dumping on purpose.

I can also see your point in letting them have the table if money wern't involved and provided no interest to me. The thing is, I like to win. I'll also play for anything or nothing. I find it all fun. Now, if playing would create a hard feelings and change a nice atmosphere for the weekend bangers? I might either quit, help them or drill them out of spite. HAHAHAHA

Your right Rod. I am a meanie...

Regards,

C.C.~~Likes Rod tons.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
01-07-2003, 06:34 AM
Unless they were gambling, what is the point. You obviously play much better then the rest of the players to hold the table for that length of time. After a short while I would have given up the table and just let them play amongst themselves. I can't imagine why you would even enjoy playing with them. Beating on people who can't play, sounds a little childish. I believe you think so too, or you would not have mentioned it in the first place. I am a little surprised at some of the other answers you got. True, they can't make you quit, but like I said it, sounds childish if you think about it. I will tell you a funny story. I was at a dinner party in a home that had a billiard room. The host was in there holding court beating everybody. I thought what a jerk, here is a guy who owns a few TV stations, and he is getting off beating old men and ladies in evening gowns on his pool table. I could have went in there put this guy down a little if I wanted, but for what? I would be just like him if I did, why do I care.

01-07-2003, 08:51 AM
I agree with Popcorn. I get pretty bored beating up on lesser players unless they are giving me their money. I posted this story here several years ago but here it is again.

I was in a bar a few years ago and there were two girls who wanted to play pool. Only problem was there was only one table - and one jerk who insisted on keeping the table until someone beat him. I watched for a while as the girls kept trying to beat him so they could play each other. Finally, I got up and put my quarters on the table. I beat him and he left. I then gave the table to the girls and went back to the bar. A few minutes later one of them came over and asked me to join them. So we engaged in some nice conversation and pool (but nothing else /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif) for the remainder of the evening.

So, unless people are shoveling their money into your pockets, I don't think you should stand there beating your chest just because you can. Know what I mean?

Chris

01-07-2003, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Unless they were gambling, what is the point. You obviously play much better then the rest of the players to hold the table for that length of time. After a short while I would have given up the table and just let them play amongst themselves. I can't imagine why you would even enjoy playing with them. Beating on people who can't play, sounds a little childish. I believe you think so too, or you would not have mentioned it in the first place. I am a little surprised at some of the other answers you got. True, they can't make you quit, but like I said it, sounds childish if you think about it. I will tell you a funny story. I was at a dinner party in a home that had a billiard room. The host was in there holding court beating everybody. I thought what a jerk, here is a guy who owns a few TV stations, and he is getting off beating old men and ladies in evening gowns on his pool table. I could have went in there put this guy down a little if I wanted, but for what? I would be just like him if I did, why do I care. <hr /></blockquote>

i agree with you guys. what's the point?

guy across the street just got a new table and even built a room addition for it. well, he invited me to come over and there we are with his wife and 3 of the cutest little girls you ever saw just looking at daddy with full-on adoration. beat him up daddy.

daddy just beat the stuffins outta that big timer from across the street.

dan...maybe it'll make up for some of the other stuff i've done.

nAz
01-07-2003, 09:15 AM
I see your point about beating up on lesser players but in my case it was a mixxed crowd playing, half the players would probably be ranked SL 5-6 the other half 2-4. On top of that i was in a Bar and i was doing tequila shooters with beer chasers so i figure it sort of evens out.

heater451
01-07-2003, 09:16 AM
I have had the situation where you 'own' the table, and a couple or group wants to play among themselves, and ask if they may "play one game", and then return the table to you. Everyone is usually happy with that.

On the more jaded side, I have had to play games while shooting between people drinking and dancing, and complaining that there was a pool table there at all. I don't always see where a diehard player should give up his/her table, if they are having a good night.

There is also the possibility of being known in the place, and playing "King of the Hill" is simply expected.

=====================

Gayle in MD
01-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Hi there, and may I say, absolutely, it is fair. In fact, my heartfelt thanks goes out to all those folks who beat me, and beat me, and beat me. I always knew from the start, I was going to have to go through a lot of A## kicking from others if I was ever going to get good at shooting. I always felt grateful to the guys who were willing to continue to beat me on the table without getting bored with shooting against someone that was no competition for them. Also, I always let them know, they were more than welcome to critique, and to give me advice, which led to my getting to know many nice people who ended up taking an incredible interest in my improvment! I always listened to their suggestions, kept the good ones, and discarded the BS, LOL. I owe a great debt to all those who were willing to assist me in my quest to learn to shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact, there were many times when my oponents were actually shooting against me, and rooting for me at the same time! More times than you could imagine!
Gayle in Md., can't get over how many really good people there are in the world! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2003, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> although i would get a few people pissed when after they would wait an hour or more i would break and run on them lol.<hr /></blockquote>

Hahahahah! I saw that one that one time! This one particular guy waited a while to get to play, it was a Saturday night and all the names were on the board. He started to play, and I think Naz broke and ran out! LOL That guy got so pissed, cursed about "all that waiting for this?" and stormed out!

I was playing at a bar once and held the table for about an hour and a half and only let it go 'cause it was getting late and I had to go home. All I did after the last game I won was just told the guy that had just lost to me to keep the table. But, when I do keep the table for that long, it makes people really want to beat me to get me off the table, and that just makes me play even stronger. Ha!

Wendy~~Guilt-free /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
01-07-2003, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> Is it fair to hold the table all night when playing social games and other players are eager to play or should you just keep that table to yourself? <hr /></blockquote>
I recall someone telling me (tongue-in-cheek) that it was unfair that I was "hogging" the table. My response?

"I haven't spent all this time getting better just to lose on Friday night."

Fred

Tom_In_Cincy
01-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Fred,
I understand your comment.. but I do have a question.. ?

Other than Friday nite.. is there a nite that you will consider not hogging the table.. ?

You can have my cue when you can pry it out of my dead hands.. ONLY give up the table when the young lady says... Let's go.. there is another game ON..

SPetty
01-07-2003, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> She begged me the entire time to miss so she could get a shot. I do, she wins and I'm out and she's braggin how she beat my a$$. <hr /></blockquote>That's your story and you're sticking to it, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif hahahaha

bigbro6060
01-07-2003, 06:43 PM
I hate the whole playing for the table at pubs thing

Most of the pubs i goto are too busy to play pool properly and there aren't any proper players anyway. Everyone is pretty easy to beat. I've never lost in a pub, but i ususally give up the table after 3-4 games. I feel like a tosser keeping the table.

Anyway i mainly goto pubs to get pissed and scout the babes, if i want to play pool properly, i goto a poolhall

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr>
.....I feel like a tosser keeping the table.....
<hr /></blockquote>

Bro,

Just for the Americans,in case anyone's wondering, a tosser is a wanker. HTH

Actually sometimes playing pool is a good way to meet babes in a pub. Just find a girl that knows how to hold a cue and tell her you need a playing partner. Then carry her on your back for a few wins.

Chris Cass
01-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi Popcorn,

We're somewhat in agreement on this subject. There's been open tourneys at the ph with $5. entry fee and no table time on some days. I see my wife and son get in a few and mainly all "D" players. Sure, I could enter but don't. I could drill them and easily win the 30 bucks. I don't think it's fair to them, so I don't.

There's another bar tourney around, where it's a little more like $100. win with $10. entrys and mainly "C" players. At the end the winner buys a round and that's about $30. Some of the "C" players at our hall go and a few have taken it off frequently. I still find it a waist of time and don't care much for the bar seen. A few local shortstops have showed up and took it off but they all get pissed to no end about it too. For me it's not worth the aggravation.

I'm into a challenge but I will do something if I'm bored. Over kill, is another thing. At this point in my life I want to win big money or a tourney that's rated like AA or AAA. With $1500. added or more atleast. I like the tourneys in MN. and Peoria. Ones that are ran with consistancy. I also hate the fact that you have to place in the top 5 to break even though. So, the little events might help in aiding in support for the biggys in two ways, finacially and warm up too. JAT

Regards,

C.C.~~doesn't have the nuts everytime but knows there's a chance.

Chris Cass
01-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Well, what was I suppose to do when she laid her chest over the pocket? It reminded me of that kiddy bowling with the rubber things in the gutters to stop from scratching. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

C.C.

nAz
01-08-2003, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well, what was I suppose to do when she laid her chest over the pocket? It reminded me of that kiddy bowling with the rubber things in the gutters to stop from scratching. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm thats just how wendy picked me one day /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod
01-08-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well, what was I suppose to do when she laid her chest over the pocket? It reminded me of that kiddy bowling with the rubber things in the gutters to stop from scratching. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm thats just how wendy picked me one day /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm begining to think it is we, the men, that are getting sexually harassed. I want a stop put to it ------------------- sometime /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

~~~ rod thinks untill the daisies are planted

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2003, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Well, what was I suppose to do when she laid her chest over the pocket? It reminded me of that kiddy bowling with the rubber things in the gutters to stop from scratching. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm thats just how wendy picked me one day /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I thought you picked me. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/remybussi.gif

Chris Cass
01-09-2003, 01:01 AM
He did Wendy. Don't let him make you think any other way.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

nAz
01-09-2003, 01:36 AM
actually a flipped a coin for her or sister, wendy won /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#### leonard
01-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Dan as a father of 5 daughters Way to Go. ####

9 Ball Girl
01-09-2003, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> actually a flipped a coin for her or sister, wendy won /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

As if! You know my sister is not interested in the male species! You can tell that off the bat!http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/splitform.gif

Wendy~~Don't worry, I still luv ya anyways...Teehee teehee http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/1040083642.gif

Perk
01-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Fair? Keep the table as long as everyone seems to think they can win. I bartended at a small bar, and was the best player in the house. Of course I tell them that I really wasnt all that good, but what would I know that a professional drunk wouldnt?

If there was no money/drinking games: I would try to run the table as long as possible, but I wouldnt let myself runout. I would practise two way shots. If ya make it, you move on, if ya miss they dont have an easy shot. Most of the time this works. It allows them to get at least one shot. As Chris Cass has said that he can tell a shooter within 10 minutes, I too can tell if people can play. So you know who and how many times ya can let them to the table as so it is fun for them. Of course occasionally they pull the all mighty and runout and beat ya, but who really cares. No jelly beans were switched. As previously stated, everyone that keeps putting up there quarters to play the "champ" act like its an act of congress when they win. Let them feel that way...Might get ya a free drink or a Fin later on.

Of course, this rule doesnt apply to spouses/girlfriends...I cant stand that ride home listening to that amazing game where they won! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

01-09-2003, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Dan as a father of 5 daughters Way to Go. #### <hr /></blockquote>

5!!!??! i've got one and...

oh well, those little girls are so cute and giggly and they were looking at me like if i beat up on their daddy then they'd all 3 sneak out in the middle of the night, in their little bunny slippers, and set fire to my house.

dan

Sid_Vicious
01-09-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm going to border on being in the minority here. Being that you are in a small town, single table bar where most of the patrons are probably "born there regulars", I'd personally whack some experimental shots which I'd otherwise not do. It doesn't feel right to me(my opinion)to be a killer pool player on a single table for hours with locals sitting in their chairs wanting to play. Fair doesn't really have to be an issue, it just doesn't strike me as "city manners." Like I said, I'd probably lose due to playing a lot looser than usual, and if somebody ventured to want to play for bucks after seeing I could be beaten, then I'd tighten up and get on the cash wagon train...sid~~~you were neither right or wrong

Wally_in_Cincy
01-09-2003, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Unless they were gambling, what is the point. You obviously play much better then the rest of the players to hold the table for that length of time. After a short while I would have given up the table and just let them play amongst themselves....<hr /></blockquote>

If I find myself in that situation that's what I do. Shooting fish in a barrel is neither sporting nor fun....IMO