PDA

View Full Version : About Holding the Table

Tom_In_Cincy
01-07-2003, 10:23 AM
One of the many times I made the trip from Cincy to my old stomping grounds in Memphis, I had asked two of my friends to meet me at an old hangout.

This place had added two barboxes since I was last there.. one of my friends and I had played on an APA league and had enjoyed a lot of good matches. He and I played about 6 games early in the evening with me winning them all. He was getting frustrated (he'd not played in a while) and people started to come in and challenge the table.. (Buck and a Beer + challenger pays quaters)

My other friend and my pool playing friend were sitting at our table laughing their collective A$$ off the entire nite as I proceeded to win all the matches. I was having so much fun and the table had pockets the size of a beer pitcher.

There was a stack of Ones and way too many bottles of beer on our table.. we had to start giving them away.. and my buddies were just laughing their A$$'s off the whole time.

I was challenged by this one guy at least 4 times. On the 4th time, he asked if I was going to let him shoot.. He told me that I had broke and run the last 3 times on him. So, I let him break. He ran down to the 8 and missed.. I ran out. I was in heaven.. feeling good.. my buddies laughing and having a good time..

The APA teams that were playing out of the joint.. came in and took over the other table. The SL6 and SL7 on that team, took on the challenge and both lost 2 times each.

When it came time to go.. I had $27 and a lot of bottles of beer.. and my friends were still laughing.. it seems like they found some people that were taking side bets.. and they had won almost $300 betting on me..

It was a very good nite.. and my friends were laughing the entire evening.. Love those bar tables.

I would have been glad to give up the table.. to anyone that would have beaten me..and just enjoyed the company of my two good friends..

Needless to say.. its always going to be a nite to remember.. and BTW.. this happened in 1992

Yeah.. I'm bragging.. but what the heck... I love this story.. and would love to tell another just like it again.. real soon.. but its been more than 10 years.. those bar table pockets never looked that big since.

snipershot
01-11-2003, 03:38 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif There had to be a reason why your friends were laughting their a$$'s off so bad, I would've asked for a portion of the profits.

01-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Tom- great story... Can't say that I've every managed to hold off challengers like that, but I do love great big bar box pockets /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ralph S.
01-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Great story Tom, I have had similar table holdings occur like yours. I just never had someone behind me making a killing like that. Your buddies shoulda cut ya in LOL. Oh yeah, did ya get the other beers to go? LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ralph S.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-12-2003, 10:56 PM
LOL.. I didn't ask for a split.. but they did offer a to buy be a late nite steak... and I accepted. We all had a great time.. Its a story I will remember forever.