PDA

View Full Version : What do joint protectors do?

01-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Obviously they protect joints, but how do they help?

SteveFromNY
01-07-2003, 09:34 PM
if u have ur own case, i think a joint protector is then just really for show.

nAz
01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
well i heard of this one guy that while taking his Butt out of his case it slip hit the floor pin first cost him a $100 to fix, besides it helps keep dirt off the treading.

Popcorn
01-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Not really, if you have a nice cue they protect the nice crisp edge of the collars on the shafts. If they get chipped up it really hurts the cues value and can be expensive to replace. Especially if the cue is one of a kind. The cap on the butt protects the screw as well as the inside of the case from the screw. Some guys have cases that cast as much as a cue. What is showy about a joint cap anyway?

Predator
01-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Yea, joint protectors are pointless to me also. If you have a cue that is worth putting joint protectors on, then you would obviously be very careful with it in the first place. Probably at least enough not to drop it when your putting it together! Just another way for the distributors to make a few extra bucks IMHO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
01-07-2003, 11:47 PM
You can get a plastic set of JPs for under $3 and a nice wood ones for under $10.

Ralph S.
01-08-2003, 01:15 AM
I use joint protectors to help avoid case damage. IMO a good investment for minimal dollars.
Ralph S.

Fred Agnir
01-08-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I use joint protectors to help avoid case damage. IMO a good investment for minimal dollars.
Ralph S. <hr /></blockquote>
Here's a crazy problem. In my Whitten and Justis, joint protectors end up being a problem as there isn't room for them, especially if you have a longer radial pin. In my Instroke, joint protectors for the butt is a necessity (in order to pull the butt out) unless you don't mind pulling hard on the sharp peaks of the pin (if you have a 5/16-14 or 18). In my Porper, some shafts needed a joint protector to help pull out as they'd get trapped in there.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Not really, if you have a nice cue they protect the nice crisp edge of the collars on the shafts<hr /></blockquote>

You are correct as usual. Unfortunately I learned this thru personal experience. Not an expensive cue, but the best one I had at the time. Didn't realize the case was unzipped, shaft hit the floor, now has a permanent flaw. Shoulda had JP's /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Popcorn
01-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Are you just playing devils advocate, or do you actual believe what you are saying. You would not spend an additional $15.00 to protect your $1000. cue as much as posable? To each his own, I have a neighbor who doesn't carry insurance on his home because he feels it is a rip off. I could not believe it when he told me this the other day. I pay over $4000. a years for my homeowners policy and as much as I hate paying it, I do.

eg8r
01-08-2003, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a cue that is worth putting joint protectors on, then you would obviously be very careful with it in the first place. <hr /></blockquote> While your logic is on the right track, you fail to adjust for any anomalies. For example (and this is only one example), you are at the pool hall pulling your cue out, and you get bumped for some reason or another, then your butt falls out of your hand and lands on the pin. You might have been as careful as you could be, but the rest of your surroundings are not always as careful.

[ QUOTE ]
Just another way for the distributors to make a few extra bucks IMHO. <hr /></blockquote> Everyone is in business to at the very least "make a few extra bucks" otherwise they would not be in business. If I continue to follow you, why would anyone even have inlays in their cues, surely that is the cuemaker just wanting to make a few extra bucks.

eg8r

SpiderMan
01-08-2003, 10:17 AM
The only time I ever dropped a shaft on a concrete floor, it landed on the joint and cracked the collar.

SpiderMan

Barbara
01-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Okay Junior,

Joint protectors are very important to protecting your cue joints. Having a protector on the pin will help keep it from getting bent if you're predisposed to storing your butt pin end in first. Never mind the potential for bending the pin by dropping it accidentally. Having a protector on the female joint helps keep crap out of the joint that may not be extractable should any such crap get in there. Think about it. If you got some kind of crap in the female joint, you may not notice it until you try to screw the cue together and it won't screw all the way. Then what do you do?

Barbara~~~had Santa make her some JPs... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

01-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Popcorn, it's not just $15. There is a time issue involved. I used to have them, but I started getting seriously annoyed with the extra 30 seconds it took to take them off, and then the 30 seconds to put them back on when I was done playing.

I know it probably sounds trivial, but it was honestly driving me nuts.

And when I would take a table to play with someone, the other guy was always getting to take his warmup rack before me. I was always slower getting my damn cue together!

Predator
01-08-2003, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Are you just playing devils advocate, or do you actual believe what you are saying. You would not spend an additional $15.00 to protect your $1000. cue as much as posable? To each his own, I have a neighbor who doesn't carry insurance on his home because he feels it is a rip off. I could not believe it when he told me this the other day. I pay over $4000. a years for my homeowners policy and as much as I hate paying it, I do. <hr /></blockquote>

I see your point popcorn, I understand that you should be ready for the worst. Like someone else said, I think it's not that I don't believe they are a good investment, just the extra 30 seconds,or so that it takes to mess with them gets on my nerves a little. But, if I did have an accident, I would feel pretty stupid if I didn't have my joint protectors on. 30 extra seconds is a small price to pay for a 800+ $ cue. Thanks for pointing that out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2003, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> In my Porper, some shafts needed a joint protector to help pull out as they'd get trapped in there.
Fred <hr /></blockquote>Hey Fred. I have a Porper 2x4. In the slots for the butts, I have marker caps shoved down at the bottom so that the butts don't hit the bottom and I can easily pull them out. The shafts are a different story. They started out good but now they sink in so that I can't pull them out. My break shaft doesn't have a joint protector but I pull it out with the butt by screwing the butt in. My Viking shaft has a joint protector but if it sinks in too low, I can't remove the joint protector. It happened to me the other night and wound up pulling it out with pliers! I know they sell cap thingys for the case but I can't find them. Anywhere. So I use marker caps.

One league night my dear friend Naz was putting my break cue away for me. He told me that one of the marker caps fell out and he didn't know where to put it so he put it in one of my shaft slots. Arghh! I can't get it out and I can't put a shaft in there because then I can't close the case. The cap is halfway down and I'm still waiting for Naz to fix it. So now you can say that from a 2x4 I now have a 2x3 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wendy~~is still waiting for Naz to fix my case.../ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
01-08-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Are you just playing devils advocate, or do you actual believe what you are saying. You would not spend an additional $15.00 to protect your $1000. cue as much as posable? To each his own, I have a neighbor who doesn't carry insurance on his home because he feels it is a rip off. I could not believe it when he told me this the other day. I pay over $4000. a years for my homeowners policy and as much as I hate paying it, I do. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, What do you live in a Castle? LOL That's a hefty premium for home insurance. I don't use JP there a pain. Take them off. I use to put them in my top pouch, then I'd need something from there. It gets left open then the little marbles go flying if the case gets bumped grr. Find the little marbles to put them back on. Crap it's not worth it. I've never hurt a shaft or butt in all of these years.
That's not a necessity as I view it but home, car, and medical sure are. I know people that have a lot to loose but they don't carry medical or car insurance. BTW two of these persons do have joint protectors though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'd say their priorities are stuffed where the sun doesn't shine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SpiderMan
01-08-2003, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Think about it. If you got some kind of crap in the female joint, you may not notice it until you try to screw the cue together and it won't screw all the way. Then what do you do?<hr /></blockquote>

Well, Barbara, I wasn't thinking about THAT but now I'll bet a lot of us are /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Rod
01-08-2003, 01:55 PM
humm

Popcorn
01-08-2003, 02:34 PM
No castle, but I live in Florida near the beach. They sock you for windstorm insurance since hurricane Andrew. The windstorm portion alone is $2300. You know between home, cars, health, and a couple other rental properties I own. I pay over $12000. a year just in insurance. With the increase in property values in Florida the taxes on my properties are another $9000. My main home is protected by my homestead, so it does not really go up much but investment property kills you. I will be writing the check before the end of the month. I think I need some oxygen right now just thinking about it.