PDA

View Full Version : Fixing my cue

01-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have been playing pool since I could see over the table. I have a pool cue that I bought locally a few years ago and used a lot until we sold the pool table and I put it away for a couple years. I am starting to play a lot more again and have some questions...

1. I have what seems to be a Cobra brand cue. It does not have any designs on it, just a small logo at the butt. The tip is loose to where it pops up to about the thickness of a thumbnail and no further even if I pull on it. The result is a really 'hollow' feeling when I hit the ball and usually a pretty bad shot. What is a good (or the best) way to fix this?

2. Now that I search around on the net I cannot find these cues for sale anywhere, is that a sign of low quality? If I remember right it was in the $100-$175 range.

3. Our table was an old Olhausen with 3 peice inch thick slate. The local pool haul that I have played at once or twice has Olhausen tables too. My friend has another big name pool table (can't remember, maybe Brunswick) but seems a lot slower than the Olhausens. Is this a sign of the quality of table, my imagination, bad felt or other?

4. What is the best way to find out about local leagues and tournaments?

TIA,
Kevin

L.S. Dennis
01-08-2003, 12:12 AM
sounds like you need a new tip. Cut the old one off with a razor blade knife or better yet have someone qualified do it for you and put a new one on.

The speed of the tabel whether it's Brunswick or whatever brand assuming they both have the same thickness of slate is determined be atmosphere and type of cloth. A nice dry climate with Simonis 760 or 860 is ideal.

Rich R.
01-08-2003, 05:17 AM
1. It sounds like you mean that the ferrule is popping up, not just the tip. It can be repaired fairly easily by any good cue repair guy.

2. I'm not familiar with the Cobra name, but it was probably Asian made. You most likely got what you paid for.

3. The speed of the table is more dependent on the type cloth and the quality of the rubber on the rails. Also, the age of the cloth and the rubber. Assuming all other conditions are the same, there are not any other really important reasons why one table would play slower than the other. Inspect the cloth and the rails and you will find the answer to your question.

Fred Agnir
01-08-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iJeep:</font><hr>
1. I have what seems to be a Cobra brand cue. It does not have any designs on it, just a small logo at the butt. The tip is loose to where it pops up to about the thickness of a thumbnail and no further even if I pull on it. The result is a really 'hollow' feeling when I hit the ball and usually a pretty bad shot. What is a good (or the best) way to fix this?

2. Now that I search around on the net I cannot find these cues for sale anywhere, is that a sign of low quality? If I remember right it was in the $100-$175 range.
<hr /></blockquote>
I have a Cobra cue. I believe the company that made it was Lishan Cues. Neither are in production anymore, IIRC. I think I paid $100 for it about 10 years ago. It's an inexpensive cue. But, if it's straight and you get that ferrule/tip changed, you'll be fine for now.

Take your cue to the local pool hall and ask their opinion on the fix. It seems like you just need a new tip, but I can't tell by your description.

Fred