PDA

View Full Version : 9Ball Sardo Racking solution

bigbro6060
01-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Well racking in general

Been some debate about the use of the soft break in 9ball changing the game for the negative

How about this ?

instead of having a spot, have an area where the position of the oneball in the rack can be put at random, maybe a 6 inch by 6inch area

that would kill all sneaky calculations for potting particular balls in the rack, so we would be back to the 'twat em' break

thoughts ?

Predator
01-07-2003, 11:32 PM
I know what you mean, I personally don't think the spot
should be changed, or removed though. In my opinion, making a ball on the break and keeping your cue ball in
the center of the table is not just a necessity, but an
art in itself. I personaly am against the "soft break"
in 9-ball. It just takes a lot of the fun out of it. I mean, 9-ball is the game in which you get the most action
on the break and have a very high percentage of pocketing a ball. That's why the pros alternate the break shot in competition, because it's such an ADVANTAGE! Damn, we got enough slow games as it is. 9-ball is supposed to be a quick game, lots of action, lots of runouts, thats exactly why it is shown on television. Viewers would surely get even smaller than they are now, if the pro's starting with this "soft breaking" crap, too. If this starts, will the break be considered an ADVANTAGE, or a DISADVANTAGE? I hope it doesn't catch on, if you can't make a ball on a nine ball break most of the time then you just don't break hard enough to break-wind! Of course, this is just MY opinion. Good subject! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
01-08-2003, 05:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr> That's why the pros alternate the break shot in competition, because it's such an ADVANTAGE! <hr /></blockquote>

You've been watching too much pool on TV. The majority of tournaments do not have alternating breaks. Winner breaks.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr>
9-ball is supposed to be a quick game, lots of action, lots of runouts, thats exactly why it is shown on television. Viewers would surely get even smaller than they are now, if the pro's starting with this "soft breaking" crap, too. If this starts, will the break be considered an ADVANTAGE, or a DISADVANTAGE? I hope it doesn't catch on, if you can't make a ball on a nine ball break most of the time then you just don't break hard enough to break-wind! <hr /></blockquote>
The pro's are using the soft break because of the Sardo Rack. The soft break seems to be the best way to make a ball, spread the rack, control the cue ball and run out. It is all about winning, not showing off.

Predator
01-08-2003, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr> That's why the pros alternate the break shot in competition, because it's such an ADVANTAGE! <hr /></blockquote>

You've been watching too much pool on TV. The majority of tournaments do not have alternating breaks. Winner breaks.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr>
9-ball is supposed to be a quick game, lots of action, lots of runouts, thats exactly why it is shown on television. Viewers would surely get even smaller than they are now, if the pro's starting with this "soft breaking" crap, too. If this starts, will the break be considered an ADVANTAGE, or a DISADVANTAGE? I hope it doesn't catch on, if you can't make a ball on a nine ball break most of the time then you just don't break hard enough to break-wind! <hr /></blockquote>
The pro's are using the soft break because of the Sardo Rack. The soft break seems to be the best way to make a ball, spread the rack, control the cue ball and run out. It is all about winning, not showing off. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm sorry Rich, I misunderstood what you meant. For some reason, I was thinking "safety break". This happened to me the other night in an 8-ball tournament, twice! I guess it was still on my mind. But, yes, I understand about the soft break. I've seen it done a lot in 7-ball. Sorry about the misunderstanding! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif