PDA

View Full Version : cue cases?

01-08-2003, 02:07 AM
hello all, I dont know if you all remember me, but I was the guy who was asking about the graphite cues. i ended up purchasing a used mcdermott cue from ebay-- not sure as to the actual quality... here it is in case you want to take a peek-- ebay mcdermott cue (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21212&item=1986825 303&rd=1)

now I need to buy a pool cue case. at first, I almost bought a $10 cue case from Wal Mart, but then decided to do a little more research... I have searched the archives, and found such names as Whitten, Justis, and Instroke, however all of these companies are WAY out of my price range. I'm looking to spend as least as possible for this cue case...

Can you guys recommend any brand names? perhaps a cheaper case, below $30, that will still provide protection for the cue? I am also looking to purchase some end protectors for the cue..

also, I live in southern california... I've been trying to find a good pool shop but have so far been unlucky... any good ones out there?

thanks in advance for any information--

-john

Fred Agnir
01-08-2003, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote blah909:</font><hr> here it is in case you want to take a peek-- ebay mcdermott cue (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=1986825 303&amp;rd=1) <hr /></blockquote>
That's a McDermott?

[ QUOTE ]
Can you guys recommend any brand names? perhaps a cheaper case, below $30, that will still provide protection for the cue? I am also looking to purchase some end protectors for the cue..<hr /></blockquote>
Guiseppe and Porper cases would be my choice for a first case. But, their lowest model for 1B/1S is still $50-70, I think.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2003, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> That's a McDermott?
<hr /></blockquote>

In my uninformed opinion...no

I've never seen a McD without the shamrock on the butt.

Chris Cass
01-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Well, It doesn't seem to be one recent as far as ever seen but it does have a 3/8th 10 pin notorious of McDermott. I'd have to call Jim's son and find out the real deal.

C.C.~~I'm sure he could get a low end McDermott for somewhere easily for that price with the shipping and all. Stealth is putting out some great looking low end cues also and better looking. I'd have to back out on this one. IMO

C.C.

eg8r
01-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Fred listed some cases you can look into and there are also knock offs that you can get also. I wonder sometimes when I hear statements like these [ QUOTE ]
at first, I almost bought a $10 cue case from Wal Mart, but then decided to do a little more research... I'm looking to spend as least as possible for this cue case...
<hr /></blockquote> If you want to spend the least amount for the case (you never mentioned a level of quality you desire) then go with the Walmart case. Most billiard and recreational stores will have knock off Porper cases that should be in your price range. I don't know how long they will last but you might have good luck.

eg8r

Pizza Bob
01-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Yeah Fred, that's a McDermott. It was a real inexpensive line that they manufactured in the early 90's in conjunction with their "E" line of cues, although these never had an "E" designation. They were an entry-level cue comparable to the current "Genuine" series in intent, if not in content. See you in VF.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Allan
01-08-2003, 10:16 AM
How about one of these? J&amp;J cases (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cases/jj/jj_cases_pg1.htm)

Allan

SPetty
01-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Actually, I am real happy with my J&amp;J case. I have a 2X2. I chose it because of the ergonomics of the case - I like how the top and bottom pockets are designed. I can't seem to find that in a more expensive case. It has so far held up very well.

01-08-2003, 12:17 PM
thank you to PIZZA BOB for confirming that i did, in fact, buy a mcdermott... u guys had me very worried that i bought a fake pool stick!

as for the case, does a better case actually provide a substantial increase in protection for the cue? or is the protection of the cue all determined by other factors, ie keeping it in a temperature-controlled environment, etc? are there some guidelines i should know to protect my cue?

thanks again for the input... i'll be looking into porper cases perhaps... j&amp;j also looks to be a nice option as well

Rod
01-08-2003, 12:56 PM
John,
Originally you wanted to spend 80 to 90 for a cue and not over 100 including the case. Why don't you go buy the $10 wallmart case. I'm sure it has a little padding etc. If I was going to buy a case, whether I spent 10 or 30 would make little difference in protection. Unless you got a real deal on a used one. One selling point on the more expensive cases is protection, like if a car drives over it. Another is an extra pocket for holding a tip scuffer etc. People including me have used the old soft cases for years without incident, plus it's light and easy to carry around.
I have a 3x6 case I carry because of three cues, but I still have a couple of soft cases for an inexpensive cue if I was out at a bar, party etc. Down the road if you buy a more expensive cue, then buy a good case to carry both cues in. JMO