PDA

View Full Version : 13' X 26'

01-08-2003, 05:06 PM
We are buying a house and today went back in to measure a room to be used as our pool room. We thought the room was 14' X 26' and when we measured we found that its only 13' wide. I wanted to put an 8ft table in the room but now I don't know. Will I have to settle for a 7' table. Looking for some input.

Jerry in Minnesota. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brady_Behrman
01-08-2003, 05:51 PM
get you the "Trouble Shooter". That is the best short cue ever invented. 48" and weighs 19oz. Gotta see it! Stay with the 8. You arent exactly perfect but 4 ft around the table is ok..I have seen much worse. You'll get bored with a 7

Good Luck

Brady_Behrman
01-08-2003, 05:56 PM
http://www.palason.ca/c_troubleshooter.html

Pay around 30.00

http://www.poolcuestore.com/troubleshootermainSM.jpg

Rod
01-08-2003, 06:08 PM
I think it is too small. It may be ok in the short run but I'll bet that cramped room will bug you later. It sure would be nice if you could trade some length for width. LOL 13 is pushing it even for a 7ft table. My suggestion, buy another house. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

01-08-2003, 07:49 PM
I don't know guys. I just put an 8' table in a room 21' x 13'2". It works fine. And this room has 4' knee walls that turn to an almost 45 degree slope up to an 8' ceiling, so I was worried about elevated cue shots against the rail, but so far have yet to bump my cue anywhere. It's tight, but it fits. I'm much happier with the very, very slight chance of bumping the wall (and I bought a 48" cue just in case, but haven't had to use it yet) than I would be settling for a 7' table.

Before I decided, I measured the outer dimensions of the table I was buying and taped off rectangles on the floor for 8' and 9' tables. I begrudgingly ruled out the 9' because it would have likely been cramped enough to be frustrating. But the 8' has been great.

Just something to think about before you decide to go with a bar box...

David

Fred Agnir
01-09-2003, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c2000:</font><hr> We are buying a house and today went back in to measure a room to be used as our pool room. We thought the room was 14' X 26' and when we measured we found that its only 13' wide. I wanted to put an 8ft table in the room but now I don't know. Will I have to settle for a 7' table. Looking for some input.

Jerry in Minnesota. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
In my opinion, I would rather fit a table such that I could stroke the cue in every position. As Rod says, even a 7' is pushing it.

A common suggestion is to take a stack of cardboard boxes, go down to your local pool hall, tell them what you're doing at home, and stack up those boxes to mimic the room you'll have and try to play. Then you'll know whether or not you really want to do it.

Another suggestion is to take a couple of sawhorses and a 4'x8' piece of plywood and plop it into the room. Then mimic play and see how you like it.

Personally, I think it's a travesty for anyone to say it's no problem to buy a short stick. It is a problem. Whether you can live with it is the question.

Fred

Perk
01-09-2003, 07:30 AM
I would go with the 8' in your situation. I have a 7' table in a 14X18 room, and I do get a bit bored, but it works...lightning felt, and shimmed pockets make it interesting for me.

With the 8' table, you will have 4 ft on each side...assuming you shoot exactly perpendicular to the side rail, you will get some practise on keeping your short stroke smooth. Actually, IMO using shots like that will help you in the long run for the full 8ft table shot when the cb is almost on the end rail.....Stick with the 8'

Ask your wife...does she want the 8 settle for the smaller 7? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just kidding BTW!

Fred Agnir
01-09-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brady_Behrman:</font><hr> You'll get bored with a 7<hr /></blockquote>
My room is just big enough for a home 7' table, and not big enough for a bar 7' table (without the use of a short stick). So, my table is even smaller than most bar tables. Do I get bored? Well, after I hit balls for about 3 hours in a day, I'll start getting tired. But certainly not bored.

It keeps me in stroke. My bar table game doesn't suffer. And the transition to a 9' table isn't bad since I'm in stroke rather than tied up with short sticks.

Fred

Perk
01-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Agreed..in stroke is important...but there will be plenty of shots where you can let the stroke out in this case.

Could always do what I did...Take a wall out..and have an open room feel. Someday my side bar will be near the table...:)

01-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Well, I guess I should qualify my statement about my room dimensions above. My room is a bit odd-sized, as follows:

<pre><font class="small">code:</font><hr>
&lt;-- 13'2" ---&gt;

^ +------------+
| | |
| | |
| | ____ |
| | ! ! +-------
| | ! 8' !
21' | !Table
| | ! !
| | !____! +-------
| | |
| | |
| | |
v +------------+
</pre><hr>

So while the most narrow dimensions are 13'2 x 21, the open space to the right of the diagram above gives me a good bit of breathing room, so that my only chance for cramping on that side are when I'm shooting directly along an end-rail from one corner pocket to the other. Again, I have yet to bump a wall after a couple weeks of playing nearly every day on this table, including many end-rail shots, but admittedly my stroke is not a long one either unless I'm breaking (and I have tons of clearance on either end of the table). So I'm very happy that I went with an 8' over a 7'.

If your room is really rectangular, without the "cut-out" that mine has, and especially if you tend to stroke long, then you'll probably have more opportunity for things to get too tight. I guess it's your sacrifice -- shoot the occasional shorty cue shot, or shoot on a small table all the time. I think I'd still go for the 8', but that's just my $0.02.

FWIW, while I know they're in business to sell the biggest tables they can, here is Brunswick's room size recommendations. Note that their recommended room size for an 8' table and 58" cues is 13' x 17'.

http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/products/brunswick/tables/roomsize/roomsize.html

David

01-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the input, thats what makes this forum great.
I knew that I should not take the table makers dimensions as gospel and ask the people that actually play. Jerry in Minnesota.