PDA

View Full Version : Letting my P&B Subscription Run Out

03-13-2002, 12:34 PM
I just got my new copy of Pool and Billiard Magazine, and I've decided to let the subscription run out.

I usually read the Letters to the Editor first, and I could not get past the first one. There are at least four spelling errors in it, including one passage that is so jumbled I had to read it five times to figure out what the writer meant. This is not a complaint about the writer; it's the magazine's responsibility to "professionalize" its content. Unless P&B is trying to embarrass the author, I can't think of a reason in the world they would let these mistakes stay untouched. It's one thing for an internet message board to have such errors, because people who contribute here are busy all day and write posts quickly when they have time. Not proofreading their own posts is perfectly acceptable, because they're not asking people to pay to read their thoughts.

And although spelling and grammatical mistakes are rampant throughout all the industry magazines (except for the initial issue of Inside Pool, and believe me, it has not gone unnoticed), I really got fed up when I flipped through P&B to "Ernest Player's" article on 8-ball. After spending a few minutes and precious brainpower trying to determine the runout, I was SUPREMELY PISSED when I discovered that the runout wasn't very hard at all. Apparently, you just had to metaphysically pass the 8-ball through the 2-ball so it could go in the upper right corner. How could the proofreaders not notice this glaring error??!! The damned 8-ball DOES NOT GO in the pocket they say it does.

Then I got to Phil Capelle's article on position play. While I respect his work a lot, this month's article on Right Side/Wrong Side position is a very poor example of that very important notion. In fact, Cueball Position B (listed as "bad") is in fact much superior to Cueball Position A. Both positions CAN lead to perfect shape on the next ball, but position B allows you to come into the correct angle. Position A demands that you pass through the correct angle. Your margin of error with Position B is much larger, and therefore it's the better shot (actually, by far). Again, Right Side/Wrong Side is a key idea in pool, but there's a million easy examples to list where one side is clearly better than the other. He chose to list one that at best is optional, and at worst is just plain wrong.

Anyway, I found myself really upset that I was being asked to pay for such shoddy work. And I won't do it any longer.

Thanks,
Steve Lipsky

SPetty
03-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Hi Steve,

I hope you won't forget to send this letter to the editor! They need to know how you feel about this.

Sure makes me want to check out Inside Pool.

Drake
03-13-2002, 06:49 PM
The only good about P&B is Buddy's advice "Perfect Pool".

Doctor_D
03-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Good evening Steve:

Even the New York Times has spelling and gramatical errors. Oh how said it is.

Dr. D.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-14-2002, 03:48 PM
----Good evening Steve:

Even the New York Times has spelling and gramatical errors. Oh how said it is.
-----

Good Afternoon Dr. D,

I get the joke /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif. Hope you all are having fun up there. Say hi to Fran for us.

Please give us another update when possible. We can be there vicariously thru your laptop.
Dr. D.