PDA

View Full Version : Hoppe Cues

L.S. Dennis
01-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Anyone remember the old Hoppe Cues made by Brunswick?
I still have my first one that I bought from Jimmy Wise for $21.00 at Sequioa Billiards back in 1963. I also bought the Brunswick case that went with it for an additional $12.00.

They're probably not worth much but I wouldn't thing of getting rid of them! Anybody else out there have one?

Tom_In_Cincy
01-08-2003, 09:43 PM
There are two greyhaired players that frequent the pool hall where I play.. Both have a 22 oz Hoppie cue.. both players bought these cues when they were being sold at Sears. Geeze.. two cues in the pool room that are older than than any 3 players there.. LOL.. and they both play very good.

JPB
01-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Yep, bought a Hoppe from a guy who got it at a garage sale. The shaft was bad so I had one made by Dave Kikel. He did a good job and the cue plays decent. Mine is not a great example, it was one of the ones Brunswick had made overseas I think. I like it though. Not my main cue, but I will hang onto it.

Popcorn
01-08-2003, 10:42 PM
One of the first cues I even owned. Mine had a butt so fat you could not play with it. The leather wrap was awful. If you still have the original cardboard tube with the screw cap they came in. The combo may be worth more then you think. Around $300. or more. There were different models. They had different stickers on the butt. I still have a Brunswick master stroke I bought over 35 years ago.

L.S. Dennis
01-08-2003, 11:23 PM
As I recall, the older models (relatively speaking) had the white ring aroung the but. Mine did not but was a 21 ouncer as were most in those days. I remember Dorothy Wise's had a 2 and 3/4 inch ferrule. Something that to this day I've never seen again!

cheesemouse
01-09-2003, 06:22 AM
My first cue in approx 1961 was a Hoppe with the black leather rap. I have no idea what happened to the cue but I still have a Brunswick black leather case from that era.

Pizza Bob
01-09-2003, 08:05 AM
I have a Hoppe Pro from the early 60's. Like yours, no ivory ring. The labels they used, from oldest to newest, were: Aqua colored, green and white split horizontally and black rectangular (built by outside vendor). The aqua and G&W labels were read with the cue in a vertical orientation and the black label in a horizontal one. Black labeled cues may have a rubber bumper, the other two had no bumper. Mine has the original shaft and one made by Jim Buss. These cues generally bring around $350 to $400 on Ebay - more with a Brunswick case contemporary to the cue, and more yet with the original shipping tube. Hang onto it, it's an important piece of billiard history. Thanks for sharing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

L.S. Dennis
01-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Bob,

Both my Hoppe cues have the acqua seal on them but as I mentioned no ring at the bottom of the but. I don't have the original tube they came in but I do have the rectangular brunswick case (similar to the one that Paul Newman had in The Hustler) for one of them. Once in a while I take them out and hit a few balls with them, but mostly I keep them for historical value.

HOWARD
01-09-2003, 11:15 AM
L.S.,

I know that some of those cues were quite sought after - because they had the "good wood".

Harvey at Sequioa Billiards, has about six he has restored -but he is not parting with them for love or money.

Howard

#### leonard
01-09-2003, 09:26 PM
The Hoppes with the white ring at the bottom where made in the 50s when Herman Rambow was making cues for Brunswick. When he started making Rambows he used the same white ring.####

L.S. Dennis
01-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Looking at my Hoppe Cue here in front of me, I see that it is stamped "BT" on the opposite side of the but where the acqua seal is. I don't see any other serial number markings other than that on it. It's been years since I've had it out, maybe I'll go out to the garage and hit a few balls with it. I forgot how heavey the things was though, 21 oz!

Still would never sell it though, lots of great memories in this piece of lumber!

L.Store Dennis

Rod
01-10-2003, 01:37 PM
I bought 3 or 4 those old Hoppie's. It was my first cue. I liked the leather wrap, problem was it didn't last that long. The fat butt was ok to. It seems most all of the cue mfgr's at that time had a large butt, unless it was a custom.

The Hoppie I own from the 30's was given to me by the pool room owner. He said rod I'll give you this cue if you promise not to sell it. At 40 years I've kept my word!

I think my favorite is an old butterfly splice. I'm not sure of the age but it hits great. It is a one piece abt 56" long that I use to use playing snooker and golf. I liked it because of the smaller shaft, and it is just under 16 OZ. I'm still thinking about making it a two peice with a wrap. Of course it would have to be a plastic joint to keep it near or under 17 oz which would be ok.

L.S. Dennis
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
It's funny, I ran into a guy who has one of the old Hoppe's with the white ring around the bottom of the but, but he's loaned out some time ago and hasn' seen it since. Too bad I told him that thing may be worth some money now!