PDA

View Full Version : How to identify and value 1960"s cue?

01-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Can anyone give me a hand as how to identify and put a value on an older cue stick. I have one that I won in 1968. I need to get it identified and appraised so I can sell it. It is in a Brunswick soft case, but I don't know if it is a Brunswick cue or not. It has no identifying marks on it that I can find. It is 2 piece and has no wrapping on the handle, rather the handle is very ornately carved with what appears to be Leaf figures and a couple of squiggly figures. I don't have enough knowledge about such things to accurately describe this stick, and would have to have questions directed to me to better describe as I don't know the correct terminology of such things. Any help would be much appreciated in this detective work. Thanks Jim

Fred Agnir
01-10-2003, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jim:</font><hr> Can anyone give me a hand as how to identify and put a value on an older cue stick. I have one that I won in 1968. I need to get it identified and appraised so I can sell it. It is in a Brunswick soft case, but I don't know if it is a Brunswick cue or not. It has no identifying marks on it that I can find. It is 2 piece and has no wrapping on the handle, rather the handle is very ornately carved with what appears to be Leaf figures and a couple of squiggly figures. I don't have enough knowledge about such things to accurately describe this stick, and would have to have questions directed to me to better describe as I don't know the correct terminology of such things. Any help would be much appreciated in this detective work. Thanks Jim <hr /></blockquote>

Pictures/photos would help.

Fred

Pizza Bob
01-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Jim:

I collect B'wicks from that period. From your cursory description, it doesn't sound like that's what you have, but I can't tell for sure. Fred's right, need some pictures - or if you're close enough (Philly/Trenton area - an in-person examination. Simple question that may indicate if it's worth pursuing further: Is the threaded pin for the joint in the butt or shaft half of the cue?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

01-10-2003, 04:56 PM
After speaking with a couple of guys with some knowledge today, it's been established the stick is a snooker cue. So, in searching French antique sticks this is what we came up with: see - http://users.skynet.be/billard.billiards/hitsa.htm is where we found our stick. Look at # 1, it appears to be an 8 point Hiolle. Ours looks exactly like it, but is missing escutcheon (can see where it has been). Any ideas as to value? Have a note in to site asking info. Thanks for your help, any comments or help greatly appreciated.
Jim