PDA

View Full Version : J. Lee's preshot routine

landshark1002000
01-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Jeanette Lee writes about a four step preshot routine. (The Black Widow's Guide to Killer Pool, page 133)
1. Decide: Choose the order you'll be shooting the balls. Look ahead as far as you can. Plan the cue ball routes.

2. Visualize: Picture the cue ball moving, the object ball falling, and the cue ball continuing to its proper place.
3. Aim: Get down on the shot. Look at the cue ball, object ball, and pocket. Concentrate on finding the smallest possible target. Focus your thoughts on the shot.
4. Release: Take your practice strokes. Trust yourself to make the shot. Just let it go.

Other posts have named examples of both, Intuitive Players and Methodical Players. Jeanette seems to be describing a Methodical preshot routine. In your opinion, is there a different routine used by the Intuitive Players?

Karatemom
01-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Yes, what she is describing is methodical, but after enough repetition, it becomes intuitive. You don't need to think about doing it, you just do it. I believe everything is methodical until it becomes "habit". Everyone had to learn their pre-shot routine, step by step. They did it often enough that it has become "intuitive", and don't have to stop and think about what to do next. So I believe that the intuitive player is just an advanced methodical player. They've played long enough to know where to hit the ob, how to get down on the ball and aim, and where to place the cb each time to get out, without thinking about it.

JMHO,

Heide ~ wishes she was as intuitive as Jeanette Lee

rackmup
01-10-2003, 03:40 PM
I like to look several shots ahead, then suggest to my opponent that he "check out the drunk chick who has half of her clothes off in the men's room."

I then pocket those three shots with my hand, leaving myself in perfect run-out shape for the remaining balls on the table (also set up by hand while my opponent is answering the call of his naturally perverted male instincts.)

This will work on guys like OnePocketChamp everytime and on repeated occasions.

I will also try to set up an easy 9-ball ride, if time allows and the risk of being caught is minimal.

Regards,

Ken (Cheating? No. Creative? Oh yes.)