PDA

View Full Version : drills and exercises - before you reach the table

HOWARD
01-10-2003, 04:45 PM
We have heard a lot about drills for the tables.

Does anybody work on drills for the mind? Mental gymnastics?
I use to try to gaze out a window - door or whatever at a pleasant scene - attempting to make my mind a blank.(Yes, I agree with all those that are now writing about my blank mind.) For matches in big tourneys before I arrived at the table. Mix results.

How about you all?

Howard

houseman
01-10-2003, 06:17 PM
In my younger days, when I wanted to beat everyone I played, I
would imagine myself breaking and running racks on my way to the pool room or bars I played in. It sure seemed to work for me. Now that im older and dont play as much I just play and have fun.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-11-2003, 10:59 AM
I like to listen to certain favorite music while driving to a match. If time permits I will play some faves on the juke before I start, but usually not during a match, unless I'm getting thumped.

Wally~~has time to program the juke while opponent runs 36 balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
01-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Instead of trying to clear my mind altogether, I try to relax it as best as I can, I usually listent to music on my headphones so nobody can talk to me and I can relax my nerves before a big match.

dddd
01-12-2003, 11:54 PM
nothing really.
what i do i have done earlier.
enough practice to provide me with the knowledge i am shooting well and able to play at my best level.
it is this time before i ever show up to play.
it is this time that gives one the phyical and mental skill to play

without this practice time before i notice the feeling i am missing something and feel the need to shoot some balls

with this earlier practice time i feel dangerous and able to play right from the start

01-13-2003, 05:09 PM
It's not exactly mental but one "drill" before you reach the table I know about is something you can do w/ your eyes. What you do is focus your dominant eye at some small print or something small at a distance. First, you look at it casually, then you try and focus more and more, almost zooming in w/ your eye, so you can see whatever you're looking at best you can. It's sortof eye training. Your dominant eye is the eye you hold over the cue mostly when you stroke. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

HOWARD
01-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Fireball,

I do believe it is a good drill.

However for myself the main thing on the pool table is the stroke. As my mentor gave the following example about "you have a good eye" verses you have a good stroke. He spread a group of balls on the table and said "anyone can shoot the object ball in the pocket so there are many good eyes. But to make with the cue ball requires there is a good stroke that you cant trust.

Howard

01-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Practice is great if that's what it takes to give you confidence so that you can relax. Music, staring out a window...anything you do to get you focused. Personally, I prefer a silent car ride to the big match and I kind of give myself a mental pep talk. Vince Lombardi style. Something to get my emotions flowin'. A little strange, I know. Most importantly is that when I get out of my car, my game face is on and I'm all business.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. As long as you're in the right frame of mind when it is time to play.