PDA

View Full Version : J Balukas Adds $100 To Her Bi-Weekly Tourney

TomBrooklyn
01-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Jean Balukas has decided to add a hundred bucks to her bi-weekly "Try to Beat Jean and Gerda Tournament". These Open 9-Ball Tourneys which take place on the second and fourth Thursday of every month at Hall of Fame Billiards in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn cost $15.00 to enter which is all paid out. No greens fees. The format is Double Elimination, Races to 5 and races to 3 in the losers bracket. Tables open for practice at 7:00pm and play starts promptly at 7:30.

Of course as long as Jean wins, which she does most of the time, she gets to keep most of the money.

Vagabond
01-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Howdy Tom,
Jean is my dream girl.Cheers :
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jjinfla
01-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Sounds like a pretty good one two punch. If Jean doesn't get you, Gerda will. But there's always third and fourth place money and probably pretty good experience to play either of them, plus being able to watch them in action. Jake

Jim Walker
01-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Where can I get more info on this tourney? I am a fan of Jean Balukas and I would travel 1000 miles to meet/play her just once.

TomBrooklyn
01-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi Jim:

Jean's Pool Hall is:

Hall of Fame Billiards
505 Ovington Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11209
(718) 921-2694

Here is a map of how to get there by car from Florida:

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=red&1g=DOtyJru99kk%253d&1y=US&2a=505+O vington+Ave&2s=NY&2c=Brooklyn&1l=OlGDP%252fVPvbI%2 53d&2ic=31&2ex=1&1n=Columbia&src=maps&2g=mvCn%252b vWAkKA%253d&did=1042395974&un=m&2y=US&2z=11209-1701&1s=FL&1c=Lake+City&2l=BUpGVKkCAn8%253d&go=1&c t=NA&mo=ov&x=60&y=10

They have a tournament every Thursday. The first, third, (and fifth, when there is one) Thursdays are Handicapped. Jean doesn't play in them. The second and fourth Thursdays are Open and she usually does unless she is out of town. It is not really called the "Try to Beat Jean and Gerda Tournament", I just call it that because Jean and Gerda are usually the favorites to make it to the finals unless some good shortstops or other local pros show up.

It is generally a pretty small and cozy tournament. The payouts are pretty small so it tends to attract the locals and regulars more than the big guns around town like Tony R, Ginky, and Frankie H etc.

Jean isn't guaranteed to be there, and the housemen that answers the phone probably couldn't tell you for sure ahead of time if she'd be there, but if you PM me or nAz, maybe we could confirm ahead of time whether she'll be there when you want to come up.

Tom