PDA

View Full Version : Question about new blue circle cue ball?

Paul_Mon
01-12-2003, 08:31 AM
I just bought a new Brunswick blue circle cue ball and it is very very white. The blue circle that came with my Centenials is 6 years old and has some scratches and is off white in color. My red circle cue ball is also off white in color and I believe that it was always off white. I don't remember if the original blue circle was ever as white as this replacement ball is. If anyone out there has bought Centenials lately can you verify that the newer blue circle cue ball is snow white.

Paul Mon

01-12-2003, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> I just bought a new Brunswick blue circle cue ball and it is very very white. The blue circle that came with my Centenials is 6 years old and has some scratches and is off white in color. My red circle cue ball is also off white in color and I believe that it was always off white. I don't remember if the original blue circle was ever as white as this replacement ball is. If anyone out there has bought Centenials lately can you verify that the newer blue circle cue ball is snow white.

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>

my blue is going on 2 years old and is about as white as it can get. my red circle looks very dull yellow next to it.

oh, while we're at it. what's with some blue circles on which the circle itself looks fuzzy? mine is crisp but i've seen some that are not.

dan

01-12-2003, 10:56 AM
My Centennials are 2 weeks old, and the CB is also very white. Don't know that I'd say it's an absolute, blinding, snow white, but it seems as white if not whiter than any CB I've seen. I too, am used to seeing CB's a little off-white or even ivory colored, but since this is my first new set I thought it was just because they were so new and clean.

David

Paul_Mon
01-12-2003, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> My Centennials are 2 weeks old, and the CB is also very white. <hr /></blockquote>

David, Is the cue ball the same shade of white as the white stripes on the 9-15 balls?

01-12-2003, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> My Centennials are 2 weeks old, and the CB is also very white. <hr /></blockquote>

David, Is the cue ball the same shade of white as the white stripes on the 9-15 balls? <hr /></blockquote>Well, until you asked, I had never noticed. I just looked, and the CB is definitely whiter than the white in the striped balls. The striped balls have the usual off-white color.

Paul_Mon
01-12-2003, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> I just looked, and the CB is definitely whiter than the white in the striped balls. The striped balls have the usual off-white color. <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that odd. Wonder why that is. You'd think that they would be the same shade of white. Thanks for the info.

Paul

Joel
01-13-2003, 10:58 AM
anyone notice the blue circle holds chalk marks more than other cueballs?

01-13-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Joel:</font><hr> anyone notice the blue circle holds chalk marks more than other cueballs? <hr /></blockquote>I hadn't really noticed. It might appear that way because the CB is so much whiter than others, I don't know. I regularly pick my CB up and wipe it off, so I haven't noticed the accumulation. I do hate how chalk binds into the slight nicks that develop on the balls, and doesn't want to come out. Guess I'll be polishing my Centennials before long.

Paul_Mon
01-13-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Joel:</font><hr> anyone notice the blue circle holds chalk marks more than other cueballs? <hr /></blockquote>

Joel,
I don't know about picking up chalk marks, all balls will get them. But, IMO the blue circle does get marked up faster than the red circle cue ball. My new blue circle already has some darks spots and abrasions on it. I do know without a doubt that breaking causes abrasions to the cue ball. I've filled in 1/2 of the small blue circle with a marking pen. When practicing my break I always place the cue ball so that the filled in portion of the blue circle is up. When breaking I strive to hit the blue circle flush and check out the chalk mark after the break. After breaking about 50 time (I've got a Break Rak) the new cue ball has a 1/4" scratched spot right where it rest on the cloth (Simonis 860). I guess we all know that the cloth takes a beating from continued breaking in one area. But I never realized how it also damages the cue ball.

Paul Mon~~~~~~~dosen't use a break pad

Rod
01-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi Paul,
I always thought the red circle was bad about chalk marks. They may not be quit as noticable though because of the yellow color. The blue does mark of course and it may be more visible because of how white it is. I always thought the best c/b was the black circle. The reason being, abt the same weight as the blue plus it was hard to scuff.

True stuff about the c/b getting burnt on the cloth. If people measured the diameter of the c/b, they would see it shrink over time. It will be the smallest ball in the set with the one ball coming in second if a lot of nine ball is played. I have a near new set of Aramith Pro's and the only games that set sees is OP and 14-1. You might want to consider using your old c/b when you practice the break. Just a thought.

As an end note, the magnetic valley bar box ball has to be one of the worst for chalk marks, plus they don't roll straight. Other than that there ok. LOL