PDA

View Full Version : Derby City Classic Observations

Tom_In_Cincy
01-12-2003, 02:16 PM
If you ever consider yourself a pool player, you must experience the Derby City Classic.

I had to stop carrying my cue case around.... because I couldn walk more than 20 feet in any direction without being propositioned for a game.

Action, Action, Action.. any amount, any game, any spot, any time... for the entire 9 days and nites.. all kinds of action.

When the 9 ball tournament was over.. Tony Watson and Eric Durbin matched up for a 10 ahead for 25K Jellybeans.. and Tony was 5 ahead after 5 games.. btw.. Eric was getting the 7.

Tony W. was up for the week.. but it was a roller coaster ride for him.. winning and loosing.. big time. Eric had matched up with THREE players named Tony this last week. The last being Mr. Watson from Texas.

Lots of little matches.. that were fun to watch also.

Tournament play was still the biggest draw for spectators. The 9 ball finals had Max Elerbe ahead 3-0 and then Shannon Daulton won the next 7 games..

Comments about Max Elerby ranged from "the kids got all the talent and could win the whole thing" to "If this were a race to 3, Max would be the best in the house."

Archer's play in the 3 final rounds was so slow, it made CW look like FlASH.

Shannon Daulton was playing like it was his tournament to win all along.. he just owns this tournament.

Ralf Souquet, what a player, always a gentleman and great sportsman. While he was playing Jammie Ferrell (from New Orleans) Jammie had inadvertantly racked the 9 ball in the wing position.. (surprizingly easy to do with the Sardo Rack) and Ralf made the 9 on the break. Ralf noticed it after it went in.. and told Jammie that it should be reracked. Jammie.. said NO.. if I racked it wrong.. its my fault.. Ralf.. said.. "no.. I don't want to win that way.." Scott Smith was asked for a ruling.. and declared the game should be replayed. The game would have put Ralf on the hill and Jammie with only 3 wins. Ralf won the game anyway..

Rodney Morris played just like he's always played. Fast, freewheeling and deadly. He had some great games.. but just ran up against some players that were playing better. Rodney was my pick in the final 50 players, until I was watching Max Elerby.

Max has one of the most consistant rhymic pre-shot routines I have ever seen. So repeatable, you could amost count cadence with it.. and his ability at the table is awsome.. there is a very good reason he was in the finals with Shannon, and why Max won the first three games. Max is for real..

Mike Howerton has some excellent coverage of the matches and brackets on his site. Please visit www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com) for some very good reporting of the DCC and its matches.

Harold Acosta
01-12-2003, 03:44 PM
This is great info, Tom. It's the only way I could keep up to date on what's going on with the Players in the US. It's difficult for me to attend these events because of the distance and cost involved, and many times I have wondered why I didn't stay in the "States" instead of returning to Puerto Rico....but then I wouldn't have met my wife and had two wonderful kids with her.

Once again, thanks for the updates!

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Ralph S.
01-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Tom, I agree with you on virtually all of the points you made about the DCC. The action was unreal! Shannon Daulton was really cool too. I got to sit with him in his room and shoot the bull for a while. He is a real piece of work LOL. The only negatives from my end are several more tables and a little bit more space for vendors. But then again these are very minor as Brady Behrman did a helluva job for his first promotional event.
Ralph S.

snipershot
01-12-2003, 08:09 PM
wished I could've been there it sure sounds like a blast, impressive list of players there too, guys like Buddy Hall, Alex Pagulayan, Ralf Souqet and many more sure attracted a ton of attention. Can't wait for next year!

dddd
01-12-2003, 08:36 PM
tom
very nice to see you finally
the week went well to end for me i finished playing at ten am the next day and cashed tied for 5 and sixth. one more win, if only.

thanks for coming to town it always makes a difference. this is for the players, they are the heart and soul of this week. anytime of the day or night there are players playing and it could be just as easily been you, me or anyone for that matter.
i saw the end of the a t watson game late in the night friday, he jumped up and took the cash from the light, and whom ever he was playing got right back in action not 10 minutes later with l. gay and was playing when i went back up for my next match. i came down after my next match and he was still at it

another time i came down between matches wishing my eyes would stop burning this was about 6 am and guess who was still playing, nick varner and someone i dont know was up front on the accustats table playing 10 ball, what for if anything i dont know but it looked as though they were races to some number.
but varner still playing as that time of the morning was nice to see. you never know who will be there...

ive been to several of these and played in just as many and of all tournaments i have ever seen, there is no comparsion to the way this one makes me feel. (tired but good)
the ability of the common players to be uncommon if only for a week is worth much

again my heartfelt thanks
dennis

dddd
01-12-2003, 08:39 PM
hey good to see you here this week, hope all went well for you and your father.

a small correction if i may
it is greg sullivan of diamond billiards who is the man
to thank for this tournament. it is his desire to put on a tournament with the feel and quality of the old johnson city tournaments.

again thanks for coming down
dennis

Ralph S.
01-12-2003, 09:31 PM
My mistake there Dennis, I know Brady is involved in promotions and thought this was his first. Greg Sullivan is a great guy and is in a position to do a great deal of good things for the game/sport.
Ralph S.

Brady_Behrman
01-12-2003, 09:33 PM
"WOW" Pretty much sums it up!

ALOT OF RUNNING AROUND AND A HELLUVA ALOT OF ACTION!

It was nice seeing everyone and hope to see you in a week at my FIRST event!

Ralph S.
01-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Brady, it was great to finally meet you and chat for a while. I whish you the best of luck with your first event. Oh yeah, watch out for Rocky the raccoon LOL.
Ralph S.

bigbro6060
01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Boy if i lived in the states, i'd be there in a flash!

Tom, did u see anyone gamble and lose more than they could afford ?

what about any road players not entered in the comp but cleaning up in the backrooms ?

When you get a money match with a total stranger, how on earth do you determine who gets weight ?

Tom_In_Cincy
01-12-2003, 10:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Boy if i lived in the states, i'd be there in a flash!
And, if you lived in the States, you'd be more than welcome to join in on the party

Tom, did u see anyone gamble and lose more than they could afford ? All the money matches I saw, the Money was posted before anyone played. If it was more than they could afford.. no one knew

what about any road players not entered in the comp but cleaning up in the backrooms ?
No Road players that I was aware of.. all the matches I saw or heard of, were by known players. But, I didn't get to see alll the matches either.. nor did I hear of any UNKNOWN players beating the Known players.

When you get a money match with a total stranger, how on earth do you determine who gets weight ? Its all in the "haggling" which is almost as entertaining as the contest itself. If a player is being backed.. the Backer will do the negotiating. Sometimes the bet is just to see how each other play and readjust the game, bet or spot.. if any. <hr /></blockquote>