PDA

View Full Version : cue weight?

silverbullet
01-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Right now, I am playing with a 19oz. All of my sticks are 19 oz, but I have liked 20oz sticks too when I got a chance to hold them.

I guess I had two questions, especially to those who have played a long time.

Since I am a relative newcomer to the sport, I am wondering will my weight preference change as I get better and more experience. While I know there is no crystal ball, I am wondering what has been your experience.

Also, since I have a fluctuating hand tremor, I wonder if a heavier vs a lighter stick will tend to minimize this.

thanks

bw

Brent
01-12-2003, 04:16 PM
HI. Well Im quite new at this game too and no offence but do u really think it matters so much ? if its 19 or 20 cuz like the difference is so small. Its not like when u use the 20 ur shots are more or less accurate. I belive some guys like Tom in Cincy and Chris Cass could beat our asses with some golf putters. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So dont bother ur brain with these thaughts. If u like the 20oz and feel comfortable then buy it and enjoy. Good luck. If my post is total BS then tell me and lighten me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TonyM
01-13-2003, 02:02 AM
For someone with a hand tremor, I would think that a heavier cue would be preferable. The greater inertia (thank you Mr. Newton!) will tend to help keep the cue on line.

Over time, many people find that as their stroke improves and their speed control becomes finer, that they tend to gravitate toward slightly lighter cues.

Keep in mind that there is a compromise at work here. The heavier the cue, the easier it is to keep on line, but you do lose some fine speed control.

Tony

silverbullet
01-13-2003, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> For someone with a hand tremor, I would think that a heavier cue would be preferable. The greater inertia (thank you Mr. Newton!) will tend to help keep the cue on line.

Over time, many people find that as their stroke improves and their speed control becomes finer, that they tend to gravitate toward slightly lighter cues.

Keep in mind that there is a compromise at work here. The heavier the cue, the easier it is to keep on line, but you do lose some fine speed control.

Tony <hr /></blockquote>

thanks. i have heard that in time people go lighter so was wondering if this is true from the perspective of players who have been at this much longer than i. also it seemed that the heavier sticks seem to help the hand tremor. also since a more front or even weighted cue seems better, this makes it lighter in the butt, so wondered if i needed a heavier one to compensate ie to get more weight into my stroke arm.

the sceptre which is very front weighted and the blackheart which is even weighted i shoot better with than the predator which is back weighted. but due to the change inweight distribution my husbands sceptre which is 20,5 feels only slightly more heavy than the sp pred which is backweighted and weighs 19.

i can see what you say about speed control, although i dont see much of a p4roblem with that. i can hit very soft with all of the ones i tried and use a soft tip usually moori because the talisman soft hits like a moori medium. no preferenc other wise, talisman is jut as fine a tip imo and the wb of various brands also fine.

bw