PDA

View Full Version : 3-BALL FLUKE POOL

snipershot
01-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Wednesday night I played 3-ball fluke pool for the first time and won, there was ten people playing and the game lasted fifteen rounds, it took two and a half hours to finish before I won with a score of three, I took home a good sized pot of about $160 (after the beer!)

Have you played three ball recently? If so what did you think of it and how did you make out?

MarkUrsel
01-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Always liked playing that game...it's a good bar game that can get you a decent pot without breaking you if you don't win. Where were you playing?

My best ever at 3-ball was a 2. Never had a 1, but I've seen one - and contributed to the beer - er - prize fund!

Give my best to the ol' homestead!

wolfsburg2
01-13-2003, 09:14 AM
i played a couple of weeks ago for the first time. it was fun, but hte kid who won, sucked, and got a lucky "2". i had spoiled a good three or four wins already, the pot was like $64 with 5 or 6 guys. overall fun game, money adds up quick.

01-13-2003, 12:08 PM
what are the rules of this game
dont think i have ever played.

Perk
01-13-2003, 12:37 PM
I have played 3ball two ways..both very similiar.

1. Every jumps in that wants to play...commonly 1 dollar a round per person, maybe more.

2. Everyone gets a chance to break 3 balls and runout. Count the shots it takes, that is your total. (We play a scratch counts as two shots, some play a scratch is finished with a max of 5). Lowest score wins.

3. After the round, look at everyones score...One tie, everyone ties. So if two people score 3's, everyone remains in and throws in a another dollar and starts another round.

We have also had 3Ball tournaments...Get a number of participants..Lets say 16....Everyone gets to play a certain number of rounds...say 5 or 7...total low score wins...If there is a tie, then the tied scores play 3 more...

The best 3 ball games are with 7-10 guys or gals....We throw into a empty pitcher at the bar...10 guys it seems to take a long while...I have saw a "4" win before....

<---The guys I play with, it usually takes a 2 to win, and even 1's.

wolfsburg2
01-13-2003, 01:09 PM
i would say when playing with at least 5 decent players, a 2 is pretty much needed to win. a 3 getting by i sa fluke. i played the rules stated. scratch is 2 shots, and break counts as one.

Rod
01-13-2003, 02:35 PM
We played 3 ball on occasions when heads up or team play didn't seem to be an option. A three might be good for a tie but usually two's won it. I have a hand full of ones and have seen several others. It's an ok game and can build a hefty pot. It creates a lot of imagination sometimes making two balls in one shot. As a prior room owner it sure is hell on tables though! I wouldn't let anyone play that game on new cloth. If the table was worn a little but in good condition, I'd have them use a break cloth.

snipershot
01-13-2003, 07:08 PM
I was playing at a popular bar around where I live, I didn't see any 1's that night but there were plenty of two's scored. The only problem with this game is that it is "fluke pool" so players of less skill can win spoiling the fun for us!

snipershot
01-14-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi Perk, the rules you described where the rules that we where playing with except you left out one and it's a good one! When a player scores 2 or better and wins he get's to make up any any rule he wants that the person shooting must obey, failure to obey this rule will cost the shooter a buck, this is a good way to build pots really big. This rule is only in effect for the person shooting not the entire bar. Some of the rules made up are very simple and some are downright wacky, such as doing a shot of tequila each time you scratch-Aussy style!, hitting on the ugliest woman in the bar, and anything someone's twisted and sick imagination can muster up, this rule is what makes 3 ball a truly fun game.

SPetty
01-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Okay, stupid question: a score of 1 means that all three balls go in on the break? Or is the break a "free" shot?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2003, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Okay, stupid question: a score of 1 means that all three balls go in on the break? Or is the break a "free" shot? <hr /></blockquote>

not speaking for Rod here but,

The way we play a 1 would have to be all balls on the break. The very first time I broke 3-ball I got a 2. But nobody was watching, they didn't believe me, they thought I didn't understand the rules. I got pissed and quit, lost out on a $8 pot.

Hey wouldn't that game be great practice for the state fair? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally~~has spent a few very fun Saturday afternoons shootin' 3-ball, drinkin' beer and eatin' cheeseburgers...

Rod
01-14-2003, 02:24 PM
That's right Wally, one stroke. As I said I've made a hand full and here's how most of them went. The 8 and 5 go 4 rails with the one being forced straight in the corner. Some tables it works on better than others and all three balls need to be frozen. BTW we played on the bar box.

START(
%AN7O5%EM7P1%HM7N8%Pg9J1%UB9C6%Vo7[6%YC8[2%ZN8O2%_C9G1%`E7H6
%aL7N3%br8X3%ch3S2%dG0C2
)END

~~~ rod has not played 3 ball for a couple of years

01-14-2003, 02:58 PM
So that is how you rack three ball in Arizona? I have always lined the balls up in a straight row. The center ball will often drop in the corner opposite from the side you break from, with the head ball banking cross side and the rear ball ocassionally goes a long one rail into the corner. All this providing you miss the many potential kisses! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

START(
%AN7O5%EM4O5%HL1O5%Pg7G0%Ur7C2%VB4M3%WQ8Z7%XN7O3%Y C8[2%ZN8O2
%[Z8C2%\R1[4%]C5[6%^M4O3%_C1M4%`K8O4%aB3M1%bD2A9%cE4A2%dG0C2
)END
My WEI table skills are lacking so please do not take this as gospel. Plus it has been at least 10 years since I played a game of three ball.

Jimbo

Rod
01-14-2003, 03:41 PM
SO that's how you rack in Oklahoma! LOL Actually many years ago on the road I think I saw it racked that way somewhere. I've sure seen a lot of wild shots watching that game. Your right about the kisses. I've had that head ball going only to have the other ball come around 4 rails and kiss both of them out. Lots of luck sometimes.