PDA

View Full Version : CCB at the DCC and more

Tom_In_Cincy
01-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Dissapointed that we didn't have enough of a turnout for the DCC CCB tournaments. There was just too much happening at the DCC.. 9 ball and One Pocket matches still going on.
Special thanks to Greg Sullivan for adding $100 to the CCB tournament.. sorry I had to give the money back..

Greg Sullivan, of Diamond Tables, throws a great party... the DCC was the biggest field ever, in all three divisions. 350+ in the Banks, almost 300 in the 1 hole, and 260+ in the 9 ball. With this many players there were lots of NEW challenges to the DCC and Greg Sullivan's support staff. Greg and crew made the very best possible decisions based on what they had to work with and in the end he made more players happy than not.

CCBers that I had the pleasure meeting;

"RalphS" from Ft. Wayne, Indiana and his Dad Willis..
"Rhino Chaser".. from Lima OH.
"dddd" from the Louisville area.. btw he was doing well in the team tournament.

I know I met some others, and I apologize for not remembering.. but there was so much going on.

I spent about 30 minutes talking to Pat Flemming about the DVD products.. and they are comming soon. Pat is promising that this will be an offering very soon. Details that need to be worked out are in the process.

I chatted with Mike Howerton (AZBilliards) for about an hour, about the tournament coverage, state of pool, the good, the bad and the ugly. We also agreed that the scenery at the Derby was very good this year.

Brady Berhman was there in new clothes, the airlines rerouted his luggage to some warmer area.... he was there taking entry fees for the Mid Atlantic tournament this month. Always a pleasure helping the younger generation Brady..

Bill Incardona introduced a pool betting website that is in the works. More info in the future?

Mike Segal was there hawking his new cues.

Willie Joplin was there selling his One Pocket tape and telling stories.

Charlie Williams and Mika Innomen were there..

Alex Pagulyon was there... and making people laugh everywhere.. playing cards and matching up.. Alex seemed to have a very good time.

Corey Duel, Troy Franks, Dee Adkins, Tommy and Whitey Stephenson, Steve McAnnivich, Shawn Putnam (all Ohio boys)

Truman Houge, John Brumback (KY Bank kings)

Met Thomas Shaw of "Pool and Billiards" and introduced him to CCB. He's really one nice guy. He gave me a copy of his "legends of Johnson City" articles from the 9 part story he wrote for 9 issues of "Pool and Billiards" And, its worth reading.. he promised to check this board out.

More later.. I need to go and play some pool.. to relax..

Harold Acosta
01-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Keep up the great info Tom!

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Drake
01-12-2003, 06:27 PM
I apologize that I did not get to meet any of the CCB'ers at DERBY. My non pool playing wife attended the event with me and I was trying to juggle Louisville tourism with good play in the tournament. My pool play suffered.... and I didn't make time to meet everyone. I witnessed all of the big money matches and will tell everyone about them later. I'm short on time.

Ralph S.
01-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi Tom, I just got back home. I stopped for for of all reasons... to play some more pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am very pleased to have met you. It was an honor and you are a very nice person as well as a knowledgable player.
Ralph S.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Drake.. Next year, we will have to have a DINNER meeting that you and your wife can attend. Pool spouses have a difficult time feeling welcome to pool world.. but not not CCB folks.. its encouraged...

Sorry we missed hooking up.. I'm sure it would have been my pleasure..

Wally_in_Cincy
01-13-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
...Bill Incardona introduced a pool betting website that is in the works. More info in the future? ...
<hr /></blockquote>

Oh my goodness. There will be no corrupt activity stemming from this I'm sure. (sarcasm) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NH_Steve
01-13-2003, 05:21 PM
I was there the first half of the week (for most of the one-pocket), but saw no CCBer's /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif . 'Course maybe I coulda looked harder, but there was so much great pool to watch, and great stories floating around -- I was pretty occupied.

I would echo what others have said, if you like pool action -- expecially One Pocket &amp; Banks, you HAVE to go to Derby City. It is non-stop great pool &amp; high rollin' action, and stories, stories, stories...

Highlights for me were listening to Danny DiLiberto spin yarns to an unknown fellow having dinner the next table over from my wife &amp; I. Fortunately my wife is a very good sport, and she understood me wanting to sit through most of our meal just quietly, discreetly listening! The gist was, that Danny would like to do a book, and he just happened to be telling the guy he was with a few of the stories that he would want to include! Other highlights include watching Eric Durbin bust Tony Watson, then seeing him scrounging for a new backer later (which he apparently found, 'cuz I hear he got back on board with wins over Chohan &amp; a rematch with Durbin after I left).

Just anywhere you happen to wander in the hotel, any conversation you'll overhear is just pool, pool, pool! The oldtimers telling old stories, and of course the young players telling new ones.

If you like One Pocket or Banks, clearly there is a strong future for both games, 'cuz there was tons of young blood playing both, which bodes very well for both games, IMO.

After I got back, I was talking about the DCC with a guy that hung for years with Boston Shorty, and he made the statement that none of these young players can really play one pocket like Shorty and the old timers could. I had to politely disagree, there is so much more exposure to the game these days through tourney's like the DCC, through books and of course through Accustats, that I think he was flat out wrong -- these young guys can DEFINITELY play! The game is a lot more accessible to learn now than it was then, and it shows with young talent like Shannon Daulton, Alex Pagulayan, Scott Frost, Tony Chohan, Amar Kang, and on and on and on. It seems like in some parts of the country (like the midwest), even the damn nineball players know how to play One Pocket. Perhaps with the 'one foul ball in hand' rule, and the improved jumping &amp; kicking &amp; safety play in 9-ball, there is more stategy spill over from 9-ball to One Pocket, and vice versa...

I am going back for more next year for sure!!!