PDA

View Full Version : Monica Webb's grip

Wally_in_Cincy
01-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Did anyone see the WPBA Nats match with Monica Webb?

Not only is her grip arm tilted inward at least 10 degrees, her wrist is bent another 10 or 15 degrees. I guess it works for her, but it seems she could improve her play with better fundamentals. But what do I know, she could kick my arse.

01-13-2003, 09:27 AM
LOL, I thought *exactly* the same thing, and immediately thought of posting here about it. But who am I to criticise -- like you said she's the pro and it obviously works for her. She really smoked Lorrie Jon (although Lorrie really didn't seem to be on her game).

One of those rare cases of unorthadox style that flies in the face of fundamentals, yet works for someone. I always cringe at those though, because you know there will be people coming up in the game trying to copy her awkward style and probably ruin themselves for life!

David

Wally_in_Cincy
01-13-2003, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> LOL, I thought *exactly* the same thing, and immediately thought of posting here about it. But who am I to criticise -- like you said she's the pro and it obviously works for her. She really smoked Lorrie Jon (although Lorrie really didn't seem to be on her game).

One of those rare cases of unorthadox style that flies in the face of fundamentals, yet works for someone. I always cringe at those though, because you know there will be people coming up in the game trying to copy her awkward style and probably ruin themselves for life!

David <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know but you would think her shooting would improve with a prettier stroke.

Now, about those pants /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
01-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Not only that but she's got quite a punch stroke as well.

About the pool. My roomate is a pretty good SL7 who has a back hand just like that. He tells me he knows it holds him back but he's been playing like that for 25 years and won't change. I think I remember Voodoo talking about how great Monica was playing and thinking maybe she would take the tournament or place high (which she did). He thought she'd made the biggest jump of any of the girls on tour.

Scary pants for Monica, very manly but I thought her face to be quite feminine and pleasant, at least on TV. We all should be in agreement on how well she played in that tournament.

Loree Jon played great on Saturday but just didn't have the goods when she got to the TV table. I probably watched her play 2 or 3 matches on Saturday and she was strong. Running out, great pattern play, very simple, very pure. On top of that she's a darn good looking woman.

Kato~~~TV star, Barbara says so.

Bob_in_Cincy
01-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Pants, hell ....... what about the hair ?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif And did you say arm tilted inward? If inward is toward the body &amp; outward is away, I was sure I saw her elbow tilted outward even farther than her cocked wrist. Is this a reverse chicken wing?

Workin' on terms here, boss.

Bob_in_Cincy

01-13-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Pants, hell ....... what about the hair ?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif And did you say arm tilted inward? If inward is toward the body &amp; outward is away, I was sure I saw her elbow tilted outward even farther than her cocked wrist. <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, Bob, that's the way I saw it. And I noticed the hair too -- too much mousse and parts sticking up here and there. I thought maybe it was just one bad hair day, but when they showed interview clips from a previous day it was even worse. Guess she likes to be noticed, with that hair, manly pants, and broken-arm stroke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif But hey, she can whip my butt so who am I to criticize...

David

cuechick
01-13-2003, 03:25 PM
I have always noticed Monica's odd grip, yet yes you can't argue with the results. Though I have heard a lot of comentary over Allison's recent mathces about her recent renovations of her game. So I guess it is never too, late.
I have to also say I enjoy Monica's style, she is a real trendsetter, and I'd say one of the more fashionable women on the tour. It may seem a bit odd to the average joe but she wear s a lot of cool designer stuff and I admire her indivuality. This jus tmay be more effident as the under 30 players start making it to the TV rounds. I also think her style has influnanced others for the better (Allison, a case in point) . Hey maybe it's a girl thing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Wally.. this is a pic of Monica from last year.. the only thing that I see odd.. is that her back hand is a little forward.. but everything else looks great

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/wpbany/dscf0037.jpg

Rod
01-13-2003, 07:59 PM
The picture is kind of dark but it appears her wrist is cupped in big time with the elbow flying. Someone mentioned a short punch type of stroke which that wrist and forward arm plus way up front on the cue would lead to.

I've never seen her play, she looks fairly young in the photo? It might take a year to get things aligned but few players will go the distance.

01-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Tom, while you can slightly see the bent wrist in that photo, the angle doesn't do it justice. If you look from behind her back while she's stroking, you can see her elbow flies way out and the wrist has what looks to be almost a 45-degree bend inwards. Think of the shape of your arm curled tightly around a basketball holding it tucked up in your armpit -- that's about like what her arm looked like on Sunday. That may be a tad exaggerated, but it really was "ugly" from a fundamentals standpoint. While we can't really argue with her success, like Wally said you can't help but wonder how strong a player she'd be with a more conventional form.

In the match aired on Sunday, they mentioned that she started playing when she was 8 years old, for 10 hours a day. I'm wondering if maybe nobody introduced her to the fundamentals early on, and she had enough raw talent (if there is such a thing for pool) that she just made it work after a lot of practice. I would assume that later she learned or at least heard of the proper form, but it was probably too late for her to change her style.

David

Rich R.
01-14-2003, 09:03 AM
From the picture, it appears that Monica's wrist is definitely curled in toward her body. It is hard to tell about the rest of the arm.
For years I have been amazed at the way Keith McCready's arm bends out, away, from his body and his wrist also bends outward. It seems that Monica's arm and wrist bend in the opposite direction. Somewhere between the two is the proper "fundamental" arm position. This only proves that there is some balance in the universe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2003, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Pants, hell ....... what about the hair ??<hr /></blockquote>

Her hair has always been kinda wild. She has such a pretty face she can get away with it.

And the pants? Monica, you're on television for Pete's sake. Maybe they are trendy (beats me) but surely she could have found something more feminine. Maybe she wasn't expecting to be on TV and that was all she had packed. Sometimes it is very late on Sat. night/Sun. morning before the tv rounds are determined. The tv taping starts at 11:00 am so...no time to shop!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_in_Cincy:</font><hr> And did you say arm tilted inward? If inward is toward the body &amp; outward is away, I was sure I saw her elbow tilted outward even farther than her cocked wrist. Is this a reverse chicken wing?

Workin' on terms here, boss.

Bob_in_Cincy <hr /></blockquote>

We're talkin' 'bout the same thing. Elbow juts outward, forearm tilts inward, wrist bent inward.