PDA

View Full Version : Rededication or Redirection

Voodoo Daddy
01-13-2003, 09:38 AM
I have taken what seems to be a turn for the worse in my pool game. I have many things on my plate <like most of us do> but I'm finding it very easy to blow pool off for the other subjects. Could it be that my 23+ years at the table have come to an end? Could it be a glitch in my mental strength? Am I suffering from what I feel could be burnout? I hardly reach out for help but I'm reeling here...I feel and I have felt for some time that I could walk away from pool forever and not turn back, but I also know that pool <for me> is a life sentance with no parole. Waiting for common sense comments......

Karatemom
01-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Steve. You need a break from pool, or anything else, take it. It will always be there when you get back. You've got to get your priorities in order first, take care of what needs to be done, then you can see what fits and what doesn't fit in your life anymore, whether it's pool or not.

I can tell you that lately, I've wanted to shoot, but just didn't have the desire. I was too busy with something else or just too damn tired. Eventually, I got into a routine and I work in pool whenever I can. Just like you said, it is a life sentence with no parole. It'll be there for you, waiting patiently, while you get your life in order.

You know if you need to talk, we're here for you.

Heide

Tom_In_Cincy
01-13-2003, 10:03 AM
VooDoo Daddy,

Umm? seems that when ever a life changing event happens in our lives.. the first thing that suffers is OUR Pool Game. I've had this happen many times.. Work Stress, Family Stress, my health, and other MAJOR factors all come before POOL.. and so pool gets re-prioritized and rightly so. I have priorities and I assume you do to.. you have something else going on in your life that has become more important. When you have delt with this issue.. Pool will still be there.

Then again.. maybe you lost your stroke and can't make a lag shot? LOL

John in NH
01-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi Voodoo Daddy,

Losing interest in pool happens to everyone, I feel it's part of life's journey and sometimes a person needs to step back and let other things in life dominate whether it is a family, job or other more important activity.

When I quit playing pool I was in my pool playing prime and some of my friends didn't believe that I could do it, first I gave away my pool table to the State YDC (Youth Development Center) in NH, my kids were young and I needed an extra bedroom so I decided to convert my pool room into a bedroom and bath, that was twenty years ago and I have never regretted it since, now that the kids are gone from home, I'm considering redoing the pool room again, I'ts been about five years since I started playing pool again and friends of mine have told me that I am playing better that ever.

I have a renewed interest in pool and I play whenever I have the chance (when I'm not playing golf)I began playing one pocket with someone that I met on the internet, it so happened that he was someone that I had known twenty years ago, anyway that's a whole other story.

Pool is a game and should be treated as such unless you have decided to make it your vocation, otherwise concentrate on more important issues and pool will take care of itself.

Good luck,

John

Barbara
01-13-2003, 10:08 AM
Steve,

I sounds like you need to take a little break from pool to take care of the other things on your plate.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like Tom and Heide posted, pool will always be there when you want to come back to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~should be seeing Voodoo on tv soon... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
01-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Steve, every one's interests change from time to time. Obviously, your interest has move away from pool for the time being. That doesn't mean you will never play again.
Another possibility is that Life gets in the way of a good pool game. Stuff happens and you just can't find the time to play and then lose interest for a while, maybe a very long while.
In either case, when you are ready to play again, you can and you will. Hopefully, you will enjoy it as much or more than you always have. It works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
01-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Just from your writings I think you may have been a little like me. A lot of the posters on here play on leagues or with their friends. They have a table in their home and like to play and talk about pool. But for some like me and I believe you, pool has been a complete lifestyle. There was a time in my life where pool dominated my entire life. I don't know when it was but at a point that changed. I no longer wanted that life and quit the game all together. I did not know what to do other then to quit. When I finally came back to the game, I could not believe how different it was. The people I used to hang with, I now looked at like, how could I have ever been friends with those guys. People just change and this may be the case with you. You may come back to pool with a different perspective and become interested in the game again, the reason you began playing in the first place, and not the lifestyle. I myself don't regret having lived it, but I think at a point, I just grew up. When I see Keith or some of those guys, I can't help but feel sorry for them. I enjoy pool now, maybe more then ever before.

WesK
01-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Not only that, but, we'll still be there.

...For you and each other.

wes - been taking some time off myself.

Kato
01-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Steve, my friend, my compadre. As usual you've got a lot on your plate and I've got a feeling you're re-assessing your priorities again. After shuffling the deck you realize that pool is something you can cut out right now to handle all the other things you've got going on. When the stresses from your other priorities ease you will again jump back into your game with both big feet.

Steve, you're a great man. Everyone who's life you've touched can attest to that. You also are somebody that puts their heart and soul into every shot you take and prepare like it's the last shot you'll ever shoot. If you're mind is elsewhere and you're not giving everything you've got the results are less than what you're willing to accept and it frustrates you. You don't know how to quit so you keep fighting and getting more frustrated. Then you get to the point where you want to walk away. You already know that you're stuck. You may stay away for a week, 6 weeks, 6 months, 3 years BUT..............you'll be back.

Why will you come back Steve? Three words brother, Omen Custom Cue. I know it talks to you when the moon is full. I know it calls your name when you're eyes are closed. If you decide not to come back I'll take that cue off your hands. $100, cash money /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Kato

Rod
01-13-2003, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I have taken what seems to be a turn for the worse in my pool game. I have many things on my plate &lt;like most of us do&gt; but I'm finding it very easy to blow pool off for the other subjects. Could it be that my 23+ years at the table have come to an end? Could it be a glitch in my mental strength? Am I suffering from what I feel could be burnout? I hardly reach out for help but I'm reeling here...I feel and I have felt for some time that I could walk away from pool forever and not turn back, but I also know that pool &lt;for me&gt; is a life sentance with no parole. Waiting for common sense comments...... <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo,
If your feeling the above then the answer is yes to all. For the hard core player at a younger age we would never let anything interfer with pool, well almost anything. Times and priorities change and we change our thinking. No longer do we need to be one the best, at least in our area. Lack of desire creeps in and loss of concentration. When we lose desire to play at at high level then the ship has some small leaks and the holes get bigger. Then the come back, and I'm sure this has happened to many, me several times. We get near our old level but realize how much "work" (instead of enjoyment) and time is involved to keep that level. Once again our game falls off because of lack of commitment and desire. Added to that is our daily life filled with who knows what's going to happen next that has a higher priority. Well this story is never ending.

Let it go for time being, you'll get the urge to play once in a while. When you do just have some fun and enjoy the game and company. Don't make it out to be more than it is, a game of pool. Your life sentence may be over, your just on parole.

NH_Steve
01-13-2003, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John in NH:</font><hr>...I have a renewed interest in pool and I play whenever I have the chance (when I'm
not playing golf)I began playing one pocket with someone that I met on the
internet, it so happened that he was someone that I had known twenty years ago,
anyway that's a whole other story... <hr /></blockquote>Hey, that would be me! LOL
So John, how's Florida treating you?

The thing I would add is, if you're not trying to set your table (no pun intended?) with your pool winnings, then try to keep in mind you're playing FOR THE FUN OF IT (even if there is a little cash involved /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I see so many players beating themsleves up over how poorly they think they're playing. Hey, we are who we are -- warts and all, and if you can't find peace with your real talent level (or lack thereof /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), then you are missing the point of playing, IMO.

I've quit pool numerous times over the last 30+ years when it wasn't fun -- but not lately -- Cuz once I discovered One pocket about 12 years ago, pool has been consistently a whole lot more fun day in day out, as long as I can find a One Pocket game, LOL!!

HOWARD
01-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Dear Mr. Voodoo,

I am in the dark what is on your full plate.

I will make the guess that you had full plate before, but pool was always fun - so there was always time. Yes?

Now you have a full plate but it would appear something has move from the edge to the center piece. If the new thing is fun and consume your mind then I would say take a vacation from the rolling balls clicking on the table.

If it is a problem that you have to deal with - Then chip away or jump on it or how ever you have to deal with it - but keep atleast one oar in the pool.

Best Regards,

Howard

snipershot
01-13-2003, 07:55 PM
The only thing I ever put ahead of pool is family. I have lost numerous girlfriends, jobs, etc. because I put pool ahead of them. If you do decide to quit pool I found a website you should visit!

http://www.mentalhealth.com

Pool is life, the rest is just details.

Voodoo Daddy
01-15-2003, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HOWARD:</font><hr> I will make the guess that you had full plate before, but pool was always fun - so there was always time. Yes? Howard <hr /></blockquote>

HOWARD, I wish it was fun but its a life work. I feel I might have found the problem. Confidence, "You gotta have it. I need the money...gotta pay rent, cell phone, I need to make that shot and I used too". Psychology, "I put the heat on a guy and he folds, I know the heat is boilin' hot when I could apply it". I lost these two factors, when I get them back...the desire and drive will be right next to them. Sorry to say it hasnt been fun in a long time and it never will be for me due to my Hardcore mentality. Thanks for the response....

Eric.
01-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Dude,

Look at it this way, I have an idea what's on your plate and it's a win-win proposition! Door #1 is a good choice, and door #2(pool) will be there if you decide to come back to it. The beauty of Pool is that we can play it into our twilight years. I remember a story about O. Lauri playing someone at a local poolhall. At the time, he was no spring chicken, was running out the rack, shot a ball, and said "That was my last shot", then passed on. Brings me to my point- You can play pool til the day you die.
Oh well, enough rambling...pick your stick up and start hitting balls, Dammit!

Eric

Chris Cass
01-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Hi Voodoo,

I've walked away from this game 6 times in my life, for periods of over a couple yrs. As you know my situation. Again, I'm walking away. This time by force. Could very well be, I might not be back. However, all my life, I've been able to come back. Something sparked it everytime.

I believe, your troubled over other things you have no control over. I believe, your strong mind knows already the demands your, pool game requires to put you at the high level, it's accustomed to playing at. It's 100% of you mentally and in order to fulfill this, you must be happy. Your not right now. It's understandable.

Your friend let you down for the DCC. Mom, isn't feeling well and then, the challenges of a new relationship with things to tie up. Don't make this hard on yourself my friend. Call me anytime and we will get through all this BS together. Your one of the strongest men I've ever met. You have to give in a little and when it's all said and done? You will becomes once again, at peace and ready to return to killer status. Your "A" game will be back.

I used to think there was nothing in the world, but pool. Everything has changed. The love from people in every corner of your life is what matters, before you can show the love that shooting pool requires. The desire and killer instinct is amplified and a calmness that makes shooters tremble, becomes evident when, Emotion, Psychological and Physical states are at one. I call it a freight train coming, barreling through. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~Voodoo's brother...my regards to Mel...