PDA

View Full Version : APA handicap question!

=k=
01-13-2003, 10:57 AM
my question is, is it really a handicap system? think about this. if a #2 rated player, plays a # 7 rated player. in a hundred matches how many do you think the #2 rated player would win?? my guess 2 at most! what do you think? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Scott Lee
01-13-2003, 02:40 PM
=k=...I think you're way off here. I have seen plenty of APA 7's runout and scratch on the 8, giving the 2 one win. When a 7 knows their opponent is on the hill, and any mistake they make could lose the match, they tend to be very careful. I would say out of 10 matches, the 2 will win at least one, and possibly 2! The numbers would likely be the same for 100 matches. jmo, but it bears out from my involvement with APA, both as a player and a league operator.

Scott Lee

jjinfla
01-13-2003, 03:11 PM
The one session that I played in the APA there was only one SL2 and she only won one match all session. And if it wasn't for my having a bad night.....Jake

SpiderMan
01-13-2003, 04:50 PM
A captain doesn't put his SL2 up against a SL7 and expect to win. Usually it is done to make the SL7, who is expected to win against most opponents, waste his victory against someone who usually loses anyway. It's one of the reasons experienced players get frustrated/bored with APA. I'd like it much better if the teams were forced to match off players high to high and low to low.

A typical APA SL7 is most likely to lose to a SL4 or to another SL7. A SL4 has to win only 2 games, but he is actually capable of snatching a win from a moderate opportunity (unlike the SL2).

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2003, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote =k=:</font><hr> my question is, is it really a handicap system? think about this. if a #2 rated player, plays a # 7 rated player. in a hundred matches how many do you think the #2 rated player would win?? my guess 2 at most! what do you think? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think it's designed to level the playing field totally, just to give the weaker player a chance to win.

The better player should usually still win.