PDA

View Full Version : How FAST do you play ?

bigbro6060
01-14-2003, 09:14 PM
I play pretty fast but i think i need to slow down. I don't think i'm experienced enough yet to play fastish

Rod
01-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Most people do need to slow down while some may need to speed up. I take my time studying the table and position route. I have a taped pro match between me and Tony Ellin. In that match from the time my bridge hand was on the table untill I shot was 3.5 sec min to 5.5 sec max. I imagine abt 4+ sec as an average. I lost 13 to 10 but it could have easily went the other way. such is 9 ball

01-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Intersting question. As a complete beginer I have no idea which is better for me and I'm sure I won't figure it out for a long time to come. However, I do know that sometimes my shots are just on, and in those instances I play very fast. I walk quickly around the table, take only one or two practice strokes and do not hesitate more then 2sec. from the time my bridge hand hits the table. Maybe I should slow down, but every time I have a good run of balls (which is very few still) this is the way it happens. I think as a beginer I have read so much on the game about how to aim, control the Q, etc that often I overthink the shot and screw it up. When I fell on and I give into and just shoot, it usually works out well for me.

L.S. Dennis
01-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Shooting speed is such an individual thing., If you had to choose a speed to adopt as somewhat normal for most people I would probably say somewhere between Earl Strikland and Jeff Carter would probably be just right.

snipershot
01-14-2003, 11:24 PM
I don't think you will find two players who shoot exactly at the same speed, personally I am trying to play at a slow speed, my instinct is to just shoot away but that's usually when I start to make stupid little mistakes, so I force myself to back away and take a moment before each shot.

bigbro6060
01-15-2003, 05:18 PM
any others ?

Mike H
01-18-2003, 07:14 AM
It took me a while to discipline myself to really slow down, but it's helped my game over the last couple years. I sometimes really have to force myself to study simple shots, so I stay in line on my pattern and develop a slow rhythm, but once I have that rhythm I stay there.

TomBrooklyn
01-18-2003, 07:33 AM
I think with most things that require certain physical and mental skills to be learned, if you go as slow enough as neccessary for you do to do it right, you will gradually get faster and continue to do it right. However, if you move at a speed wherein you don't do everything right, your skill in doing it right won't increase much because you'll be reinforcing bad habits to a large extent. Then your faster speed will only serve to make you miss quicker.

c.holtz009
01-18-2003, 09:41 AM
I think playing speed depends on one's confidence level, and mood that day. Sometimes you can get down on a shot, no matter how difficult it may be, and just know you are not going to miss. When you start getting that feeling, and you seem to play on pure instinct, your playing speed can increase dramatically. At least that's what I find with my game.

wolfsburg2
01-18-2003, 10:31 AM
i am trying to slow my game down. what i have been doing lately i scarry a piece of chalk in my back pocket, and kiterally every shot chalk the cue. it helps me take a little time to see the table. i think most people shoot too fast. if you look around the table, you will see shots that might be better for a run(8 ball).

nAz
01-18-2003, 11:09 AM
I definitely shot too fast. works really well for me 25% of the time.
when i force myself to slow down i shoot way better can string a couple of games together and best of all i dont jump up on my shot as much.