PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Clear Vision vs No Glasses + Exper.

01-14-2003, 11:30 PM
I have a unique eye problem. For most of my life I have been legally blind in my right eye. The nerve endings never fully developed. The doctors think I cheated on my eye exams while I was little and they never caught it. I can see out of that eye periphally and gauge depth but it's very blurry. Hence my left eye has always been dominant and 20/20 till I hit about 30 years of age.

Due to my computer career and the fact that I'm getting older I now have an ever so slight correction in my dominant eye. It's barely noticable to someone else trying my glasses on. I mainly need it to focus on distant object while driving at night. Right lense is just there for weight no correction.

to the point......

I have a pair of silouette titanium glasses. They are rimless top and bottom. They look great (even my wife thinks so) and are very comfortable HOWEVER, when I am shooting pool the edge of the lense comes into play on long shots and I'm forced to either look above the lense or bend down further and try to look through it. Bending down further throws me off my usual set up and causes greater problems so I usually look over the top of the lense.

I'm a believer that great vision is a prerequisite for great pool. BUT I've been playing pool since I could stand tall enough to see over the edge of the table (I'm 6' 3" now). Up until this past couple weeks I've played without my glasses on.

The question is, since my correction is a very minor nearsightedness would it be better to play without the glasses (what I'm used to) or learn to cope with them?

Given the short length of the pool table I'm undecided if they really make a difference. Although they do make me look smarter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon from MN
01-15-2003, 07:38 AM
I know what your going through. Im 46 just found out I have stignatism in my right eye my dominent eye. I have glasses and have the same problem looking over the rim. I just got contacs and they work great. Now I lost 1 of them and there is a tourny this weekend. so I will play without my contacts and glasses. Jon

SPetty
01-15-2003, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CoolieRewind:</font><hr> The question is, since my correction is a very minor nearsightedness would it be better to play without the glasses (what I'm used to) or learn to cope with them?<hr /></blockquote>Hello CoolieRewind,

I personally feel you'll be happier without the glasses. CCB's own houstondan convinced me of that, and I've been happy ever since. I have one near-sighted eye and one far-sighted eye, and they have opposite astigmatism - one eye makes things tall and skinny and the other makes things short and wide, as well as something called "mixed astigmatism" in one eye.

These problems preclude the use of contacts or laser surgery for correction, so my only choice is glasses. The glasses get scratched up and make glare and the edges get in the way.

While I sometimes miss the sharpness and clarity, I don't think my play has suffered. I'll occasionally put on my glasses for a long table shot on the 8 or 6 against the rail, but for the most part, I'm seeing well enough to get the job done. But as you note, it changes your stroke mechanics to have to hold your head differently in order to see out of the glasses.

(Or, maybe I'm totally wrong and the lack of glasses would explain my lack of aiming ability! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

John in NH
01-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi Coolie,

Playing pool with glasses was never an option for me and I could never adjust to them due to a lack of peripheral vision. When I was in my 40's I had to quit playing competive pool altogether because I began to lose confidence and I acquired a case of the shakes.

About five years ago I started wearing contacts and after a short time of playing pool with them my game returned to the level it was when I was in my twenties, the shakes have since disappeared.

Some of my friends have told me that I play better now than when I was young.

You may want to consider contacts if they are an option for you.

Good luck,

John

Rod
01-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi Jon,
Is it not possible to go into town, any town and buy a single contac? I lost one of my originals and they gave me another. I bought one for 5 bucks. Once I found I only had one in, that was in my left non domanant eye. Actually the balls were pretty clear wearing just one. You could use one, bring your case and if you did not like it take it out.
Just a thought. I buy mine on line, $40 for a dozen pair. I only wear them for pool but sometimes leave them out if it's a real smokey joint.

L.S. Dennis
01-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Another option is get a pair of "pool sport glasses". There are several on the market these days I have a pair myself.
These are adjustable so if you tend to aim with your chin right down on the cue there's no problem. The leses are big so nothing gets in the way.

Just a thought to consider.

Rich R.
01-15-2003, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I personally feel you'll be happier without the glasses. CCB's own houstondan convinced me of that, and I've been happy ever since. I have one near-sighted eye and one far-sighted eye, and they have opposite astigmatism - one eye makes things tall and skinny and the other makes things short and wide, as well as something called "mixed astigmatism" in one eye.

<font color="blue"> The next time we meet, please, only use the eye that makes things "tall and skinny". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif</font color>

These problems preclude the use of contacts or laser surgery for correction, so my only choice is glasses. The glasses get scratched up and make glare and the edges get in the way.
<font color="blue"> Consider buying glasses with real glass lenses, instead of the plastic lenses. They are heavier, but they don't scratch as easily as the plastic. Unfortunately, some prescriptions end up being too heavy for comfort.</font color>

While I sometimes miss the sharpness and clarity, I don't think my play has suffered. I'll occasionally put on my glasses for a long table shot on the 8 or 6 against the rail, but for the most part, I'm seeing well enough to get the job done. But as you note, it changes your stroke mechanics to have to hold your head differently in order to see out of the glasses.

(Or, maybe I'm totally wrong and the lack of glasses would explain my lack of aiming ability! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Long before I started wearing glasses, I was involved in a conversation between a world class player, of that time, and one of his friends. He advised the guy to avoid using his glasses, as long as he could see the table and the balls well enough to play because there is an optical shift between your eye and the glass. I have always remembered that conversation and I find that I play better without the glasses.
If you must wear the glasses, try getting a pair from http://www.sportglasses.com/
Many players are using them and liking them.</font color>

Bob_in_Cincy
01-15-2003, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CoolieRewind:</font><hr>
Given the short length of the pool table I'm undecided if they really make a difference. Although they do make me look smarter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Coolie,

My eyes are such that I wear mono-fit contacts. That's where one contact is focused close (left) &amp; the other (right) is set for distance. When I play wearing contacts, only the cue ball is clear everything else is a little fuzzy. My glasses on the other hand, are standard: Both lenses focused distance with noline bi-focals. When wearing these even the cue ball is fuzzy. I can't say that it makes much difference in the level of my play either way. I'm trying to source some glasses with a pool-only script locally, but no luck. You can get glasses like that from Decot Sportglasses - http://www.sportglasses.com/frameset_2.html . I know a guy that has them &amp; loves them, but I think they're way too big.

All in all though, in your situation, I'm guessing you'd be happier playing without the glasses.

Regards,

Bob_in_Cincy

Eric.
01-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Sorry, just digressing for a minute.

I have lousy eye sight, also. I'm nearsighted and have worn glasses since I was a teenager. Like you, I stare at a computer screen all day long trying to read moving numbers. My take on this is that whether you wear contacts, glasses, or squint at the balls, either can work provided that you are consistant. If you decide on glasses, wear them always and the brain will adjust. Same goes for contacts. I think that both glasses and contacts have their good points and bad. The bad with contacts are that they are dust-magnets! When I wore contacts, if I played in a hot/dusty/smokefilled/your-personal-complaint type of room, it is brutal! There is nothing worse than shooting with your eyes burning.
Glasses seem to have a problem with vision distortion if the head isn't in the same position every time. Also, if you have the small, designer frames, you don't have enough lens to see the full table.
I decided to use glasses, and wear them 24/7. I found a good compromise frame that affords a good field of vision, without being so big to border on stupid looking http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/showpicture.cfm?eventnum=16&amp;photographernum=99&amp;pic num=618 (reference the glasses, not my stupid expression)

Another option is Lasik Surgery, I hear it's great but I'm gonna let them experiment on a few more people before I jump in. Hell, in the past 10 years they have come out with at least 4 "better" procedures. I'll wait.

Hope this is useful.

Eric &gt;1 step above Ray Charles

eg8r
01-15-2003, 03:10 PM
I have just recently started wearing glasses and I cannot wear them when playing pool. I have the same problem as you are describing however I have a small titanium rim around the glass. My biggest problem is my stance. When I am bent over and shooting, I see the cueball through the glasses but when I move my eyes up to look at the OB I am looking over the top of the glasses (everything then goes out of focus for a second). I have tried to overcome this, by moving my head up and down moving between the CB and OB but that just seems to tedious. Since my vision is not really bad I just play without the glasses.

I guess my question is on head movement when down in my stance. I try to keep my head still while aiming/stroking/shooting and only move my eyes back and forth from the CB to the OB. Should I continue this way, or should i be moving my head around to look at the CB or OB instead of just my eyes? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

eg8r

01-17-2003, 04:16 PM
After reading this thread I remembered a time back in 1975 when I was playing out of Killeen, Texas. There were 5 of us that took nearly 100% of the local as well as travelling action. I was probably the least skilled of the 5 but I made the most money month in and month out. One morning we were discussing this phenomenon and Bob Dubois said he couldn't understand why I got so much more action than everyone else. At that very moment in walks a tall lanky player from Tyler texas, looks right at me and says "I can beat anyone that wears glasses, screw up!" Well I just looked over at Bob and smiled, tall Tyler had just answered his question.

After the match and I had given tall Tyler some walking money I explained to him why I wore glasses. I said "Tyler, I wear them so I can see as well as you, it is without them that I am handicapped." Anyway this story came to mind so I thought I would share. These days Iwear daily disposable contacs and they are truly the nuts!!!

Jimbo

NBC-BOB
02-11-2003, 12:24 PM
When my eyesight started to change at (age 46)my game changed big time.I had glasses made just for pool,with a larger frame, but could never get use to them.Last year I had to get a new prescription and the glasses are of the progressive type.The eye doctor said it would take about two wks to get use to them and now that I am they help out the old pool game a lot.Although they help I feel it's not as good as the old 20/20 vision.Oh I had the glasses coated for the glare and that definitely helped.

CRATER59
02-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Greetings,
I have needed glasses since age of 10, (43 y.o. now). I switched to contacts as soon as they came on the market and wore them since last year. I simply could not shoot with glasses on for all the reasons mentioned. The part about moving your head to focus on the ob. ball would give me the worst headaches. Last year I had Lasik surgery and I am firmly convinced it was the best money I have ever spent. There is no comparison between looking at a layout through glasses/contacts and the naked eye. Everything is clearer, the edges of the balls don't "quiver" as they do when contacts float around on the eye surface, even the color of the balls is more vibrant, making it easier to pick out a contact point on two frozen balls. For me and my game, this procedure has been invaluable.

But, (there is always a but), it was not cheap, I went to the best guy in town, he did Jeanette Lee's Lasik also. Also, I am not condoning this for all eyeglass/contact users, I understand that with experience and knowledge such accouterments become secondary to a player. But in my case, clear unadulterated vision was a boon to my straight pool game.

Thank You.

JL

02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
This is an interesting topic. I am very nearsighted, but didn't get glasses until 8th grade. Prior to that, I didn't realize I was blind I just figured everyone saw the same way that I did. I was always an avid basketball player, and was relatively good. I played basketball while being nearsighted and just learned to play. As I said, I didn't realize I had terrible vision. I just played basketball. I guess, it was just a matter of knowing where the rim was, as it never moved. A basketball is bright orange, so it was easy to spot a big orange ball coming towards me. In terms of playing a game, we usually played shirts and skins so it was just a matter of identifying the colors of a shirt as opposed to the color of skin. Of course, I didn't realize how my mind was compensating for the lack of vision until I got glasses. To this day I play basketball without glasses.

On the otherhand, pool is something I picked up long after getting glasses. By this time I had became somewhat dependant on them. Since I have always played pool with my glasses, I have a really hard time playing without them. Whereas with basketball, I had been playing for ten years before I found out my vision needed to be corrected.

I don't think it is the lack of vision that hurts my pool game when I play without glasses. It just makes me nervous, and I have to concentrate a hell of alot harder. This throws me off alot, my concentration isn't there. It is like if you are playing with a really warped cue, and you know the cue is extremely warped you are going to start using that as an excuse for playing bad. With basketball there was a long time where me concious mind didn't know it was using warped vision and my subconcious mind had ten years to develop a system of playing well without great vision. I don't know if that makes any sense... or if it helps at all. Just an observation I made recently when my glass were broken.

cuechick
02-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi JL,
Along with you I know a few others with good reports on laser surgery; but (and theres always a but...) I just met a guy down here with not such a swell story. This guy was on his way to a pro career, till he had the surgery. He has now had SIX corrective surgeries! So if you are considering this option, do your research and don't go for a cheap mall surgeon!
LR
(P.S. I miss Corner, hope your running racks!! )
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
02-12-2003, 12:35 AM
The problem I have with contacs is the lenses get dry. My prescription is to play pool only. I could see better with a stronger script but then driving might be a problem. A little over a year ago I spoke with a respected eye surgeon. It was at my barber's shop so it was casual. He said to wait a year or two and big improvements will be made to procedure and equipment. Time is about up so I'll check into one day. I'm sure if all went well I would be happy. One thing it will not cure is my close up vision. It may be a little better but I'd still need reading glasses.
I'd sure wish I had my 25 year old eyes. LOL