PDA

View Full Version : Edge Of Pocket, or Corner of Pocket

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2003, 02:13 PM
I have always disliked the description of the corner or edge of a pocket being call a "T-I-T".

In the south, where there were many women players, we started referring to this as a 'nibbons' . The first person I heard it from was Bill Nolan in Memphis.

I try to use this as often as possible.. but it seems that the norm is not to..

Can CCB start a new trend? Maybe.. I sure hope so..

snipershot
01-15-2003, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I have always disliked the description of the corner or edge of a pocket being call a "T-I-T".

In the south, where there were many women players, we started referring to this as a 'nibbons' . The first person I heard it from was Bill Nolan in Memphis.

I try to use this as often as possible.. but it seems that the norm is not to..

Can CCB start a new trend? Maybe.. I sure hope so.. <hr /></blockquote>

Many of the girls that I play with get pretty offended if I call it the "T-I-T" so I'm just used to saying the corner of the pocket. Getting someone to change the name of it after they've been calling it TIT for 20,30, who knows how many years might be hard for them to do though, it's kind of like quitting a bad habit.

Sid_Vicious
01-15-2003, 02:33 PM
I've had females call it the tit also, so it's as established as Love40 in tennis as I see it. Besides, even men have the proverbial tits, and most have more than enough necessary to deflect a CB path. Lighten up, it's "just a thang"...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
01-15-2003, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> 'nibbons'<hr /></blockquote>

Dude, that sounds English /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif as in England. I'll have to check with somebody at the Matchroom forum /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How about point ?

snipershot
01-15-2003, 02:40 PM
I know lot's of girls that call it a TIT as well, I dont have a problem calling it a tit, I was just saying some of those feminine (sp?) girls might get offended.

P.S- has anyone ever seen someones "tits" deflect the path of the CB, (sorry, Sid brought it up and i just couldn't resist!)

Wally_in_Cincy
01-15-2003, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I know lot's of girls that call it a TIT as well, I dont have a problem calling it a tit, I was just saying some of those feminine (sp?) girls might get offended.

P.S- has anyone ever seen someones "tits" deflect the path of the CB, (sorry, Sid brought it up and i just couldn't resist!) <hr /></blockquote>

No, but more than once I have seen hanging tits move balls around inadvertently. There was actually a thread about this a few months ago. Can't remember who started it. The point was the guy that saw it was too embarrassed to call a foul on her /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
01-15-2003, 02:45 PM
tit1 (tit)
n.
A titmouse.
Any of various small, similar or related birds.
adj. New England &amp; Upstate New York.
Small; undersized.

[Short for TITMOUSE. Adj., Middle English tit-, as in titmose, titmouse. See titmouse.]

REGIONAL NOTE Tit is an old Germanic word for “small” and is used in various northern European languages to refer to small objects, animals, or people, especially girls—for example, titta is a Norwegian dialect word for “little girl.” The word is most common in American English in combinations that denote various small birds, such as the titmouse or tomtit. A titman in the 19th century could mean a small or stunted person, as Henry David Thoreau indicates when he calls his generation “a race of tit-men.” Tit and titman are still used in New England, mostly by farmers to refer to the runt of a litter of pigs.

tit2 (tit)
n.
Vulgar Slang. A woman's breast.
A teat.
[Middle English, from Old English titt.]

yet another version.

TITS
TITS stands for:

Taking It Too Seriously
That Is to Say
Submit a New Acronym

I guess it depends on where ones mind is. I called it a tit for many years and never once thought of it in the slang defintion. Numerous women have done the same, I doubt they were thinking of slang either. I personally changed to call it the "point" which I think is best in mixed company or otherwise. It was called that years before I started playing so it will take time for that expression to go away.

9 Ball Girl
01-15-2003, 02:49 PM
I usually refer to the "tit" as the "point". So I'll say something like "did it hit the point?". On occasion, I might say "nipple". But that's not as bad as "tit". Although I don't get offended by any of these terms, I do hear much worse than that in pool rooms.

Wendy~~has been known to have a mouth like a sailor when she misses a shot! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/suomi.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Wendy makes two good "points" ..

Points, nibbons... I do like 'Points' better...

eg8r
01-15-2003, 02:53 PM
In general when I am in mixed company I still call it the tit or nipple. This is out of habit, and since I don't find offense in it, I probably will continue saying it. One of the ways that I refer to it without saying tit/corner/point is to say "It must be cold in here!!" I usually use this reference when someone is shooting down the rail and hit the corner of the side pocket. Since I do not mean to offend someone then in my own little world it is alright. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;Too hard-headed to change old ways

9 Ball Girl
01-15-2003, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>"It must be cold in here!!" <hr /></blockquote>

When that's said and I'm around, it's usually 'cause there is a chill in the air! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We can always use the word udder but then that would probably be udder-ly ridiculous! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wendy~~couldn't resist! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Where's G. Fels these days when these threads get started? You could usually count on some crafty witticisms from him once he dove into the subject...sid

snipershot
01-15-2003, 03:07 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I would be too embarassed to call a foul on her as well, she would probably too embarassed herself as well!

Fran Crimi
01-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Good for you, Tom. I'm in your corner. No offense to the titmouse, but I doubt anyone's drawing an analogy to a titmouse when they use or hear that term in pool. Something else definitely comes to mind. The problem I have with it is that it lacks class. Even Websters refers to the use of the word as 'mostly vulger.' I guess when I'm teaching kiss shots, I could tell my students to make sure they line up the ass-crack of the two balls to the pocket. I dunno....probably not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

eg8r
01-15-2003, 03:28 PM
LOL, I don't know that that would be a bad idea. Thinking about it right and I am cracking up laughing. I think I would laugh my butt off if my instructor said that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I cannot stop laughing. Maybe the next time I am out shooting I will see if visualizing the plumber helps make the shot (Actually I will not do this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

eg8r

Rod
01-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Glad you didn't offend my little mouse! Even Cheese might become offended. LOL

[ QUOTE ]
I guess when I'm teaching kiss shots, I could tell my students to make sure they line up the ass-crack of the two balls to the pocket. I dunno....probably not.
<hr /></blockquote>

Fran, proper edie-quit here is line up where the cheeks touch to the pocket. If they miss just say, no your right cheek overlapped the left cheek a bit to much. I think I've seen that! Jeez lets keep it clean. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

TomBrooklyn
01-15-2003, 04:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>In the south, where there were many women players, we started referring to this as a 'nibbons'. <hr /></blockquote>How about teat? That may not be much better though.

From Merriam Webster, a teat can be pronounced as 'tit or 'tEt. The latter is a long 'e' like in 'easy. While the first definition is the nipple of a breast, the second is a small projection or a nib (as on a mechanical part.) A nib is defined as a small pointed or projecting part.

Then there is a nub. A nub is pretty much like a nib. A nub can be a 1. KNOB, LUMP, 2 : NUBBIN, 3 : GIST, POINT. Now does that mean point as in a sharp part or point as in meaning?

A knob is a rounded protuberance, so that probably wouldn't work. A lump is a protuberance also, but protuberances are generally rounded. A nob is probably an alteration of knob, but it doesn't mean the same thing at all. A nob is a head. A pool table already has a head. And a foot for that matter. And legs and feet. The feet are not the same as the foot.

A beak can be a pointed structure or formation. So could a bill. A beak and a bill are the same part of a bird. There seems to be a propensity for naming things based on their similarity to the shape of a human or animal body part.

A nubbin is a small nub. I don't think a pocket point is very small, but that's relative.

A nubble is a small knob.

There is no such word as nibbon. Not nibbin or nibben either. But I guess you could make the word up and consider it a small nib.

Then there is a prow. I think prow probably came from brow. A brow is the projecting upper part or margin of a steep place. A prow is a pointed projecting front part, such as the bow of a ship.

How about just calling it a point; or since a pocket has jaws, maybe lips.

Fran Crimi
01-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Ha! You're sicker than me, Rod.

Ok, tell you what. If we're going to use the word tit, let's go the whole gammit: Here's a new way to describe a kiss shot in it's totality: Line up the ass-crack of the two ob's to the inside tit and shoot the cb medium-hard in the nuts. That should do it.

Hey, why stop just at tit? Ok, ok, I'm done. I think I made my convoluted point. LOL

Thanks for humoring me, guys.

Fran

TomBrooklyn
01-15-2003, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>I could tell my students to make sure they line up the ass-crack of the two balls to the pocket. I dunno....probably not. <hr /></blockquote>That might be a good way to get the student to understand if you were giving lessons to a plumber.

Fran Crimi
01-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Yep, I like the term 'pocket point'. That IS what the thing is, isn't it?

That whole reference thing to body parts is kinda strange. I guess I could clean up my kiss shot description a little but it still wouldn't sound great if I said: Line up the rectum of the two balls to the inside nipple, and strike the cue ball medium-hard in the scrotum.

I dunno...still doesn't sound that great.

Fran

heater451
01-15-2003, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> . . .has anyone ever seen someones "tits" deflect the path of the CB, (sorry, Sid brought it up and i just couldn't resist!) <hr /></blockquote>Well. . .I have seen guys miscue while watching girls walk by--does that count?

~~have nearly crashed my m/c at least twice, while rubbernecking. . . .

===============

silverbullet
01-15-2003, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I've had females call it the tit also, so it's as established as Love40 in tennis as I see it. Besides, even men have the proverbial tits, and most have more than enough necessary to deflect a CB path. Lighten up, it's "just a thang"...sid <hr /></blockquote>

I keep hearing a certain person say 'lets raise the standards' to paraphrase. When I first heard this word, I was so mad. Then I did what this person said not to do. I let the 'bird of compromise' sit on my shoulder and was not true to my own standards, caving into the desire to fit in and started saying that word too. The fact that women say it doesnt make it right, perhaps, they,like me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif stooped to people pleasing or they just werent brought up like me.

I dont know. I heard a churches mission statement once 'to change the world, one heart at a time'. In the same vein, we cannot change the whole pool world single handedly. But if enough people start using other words and expressing distaste upon hearing t-i-*, then it should make an impact over time.

bw

silverbullet
01-15-2003, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> .

No, but more than once I have seen hanging tits move balls around inadvertently. There was actually a thread about this a few months ago. Can't remember who started it. The point was the guy that saw it was too embarrassed to call a foul on her /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

ROFL We just could not go without this tidbit, Wally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
thankyou for sharing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bw

Rod
01-15-2003, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S- has anyone ever seen someones "tits" deflect the path of the CB, (sorry, Sid brought it up and i just couldn't resist!)
<hr /></blockquote>

Well my answer is definately yes! Then a few months ago I saw a woman shooting pool shots with her massive T's. Late night stuff. Problem was she couldn't make a ball unless the c/b was close and the o/b in front of the pocket. Not very exciting and she miscued a lot. Bad form and the cue was lost in between them somewhere. LOL Just happened on it and didn't stay long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Hi all, and this thread has made my night, LOL. Fran, you are a scream. Just to add my thoughts to the confusion here, having been a member of two teams so far, in which I was the only female, the guys noticed that I used the word, "Tip" in place of their word, "Tit." On both teams, it became a joke between us. Then one night before league we were practicing, Phil broke, I had to run to the ladies room, and when I got back I said, "Gee Phil, you only have two balls?" and Phil says, "Gee Gayle, I only had two balls when you left, too" Leave it to me.
Since I grew up with all my team members, we are very relaxed together, but have definately had some hiliarious conversations about tits, shafts, and butts, LOL. Words are really not an issue when the intention behind the thought expressed is applicable to the situation at hand, Opps, at large, Oh, opps again, prevailing, lol. Men always have their minds on sex, so they use sexual terms to express everything from nuts to bolts and plugs, so I say hooray for men! And Tom, where I come from, "Nibbins" are "Nubbins" and both words are considered more offensive than "Tits" LOL. Hey, just get the ball in the pocket!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Gayle.. good to see ya posting again.. hope all is well with you and yours..

"points" seems to be the popular term for a replacement. I like it too..

Barbara
01-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Gayle,

Isn't it funny how pool seems to have so many "sexually connected" terms and innuendo associated with it??

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Hmmm. Lets think about this...

Tit
Butt
Shaft
Stroking
Ride the 9
Balls

Wendy~~has some more but those are between me and my pro bud! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/hdiva.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Geeze Wendy.. you forgot

"The Kiss", "putting it deep into the pocket", "how satisfying it is to make it" and "long strokes develope good form"

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 09:33 PM
HA HA HA HA. Barbara, this may not be the right time to ask you this, but I was wondering, when am I going to get some of your famous nuts? LOL!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-15-2003, 09:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I was wondering, when am I going to get some of your famous nuts? LOL!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Do they come in a sack? OMG! I just couldn't resist!!! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/LolLolLolLol.gif

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks Tom. Points huh? OK, then, cause tip is at the end of the stick, right? Then the tip is connected to the nice smooth shaft, which must be stroked just right, then the shaft has a joint, with male and female parts, which is connected to the Butt? OK so far, then after the stroke, the ball goes deep into the pocket if it doesn't hit the Tit, oops, point, and nobody gets scratched. OK then, I think I got it now, and if you really want to stroke good, then you eat the peanut butter, but you gotta mix it with the whipped cream, so you won't get hurt. And if you can't get the peanut butter, then Barbara has the nuts! Whew, this game is makin' me horny.
Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 10:05 PM
AH HA HA HA HA!!! I dunno, maybe it's a pouch, ouch! Would you eat them in a sack, would you eat them in a pouch, would you eat them in your hat, would you eat them on the couch, I do not eat those famous "PEECANS" she does not send them, Sam I am.
Gayle, LOL...it's like the old days around here tonite!

Fran Crimi
01-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Gayle, Gayle, where's them high standards, girl? What you been smoking? Get a grip. LOL

Fran

9 Ball Girl
01-15-2003, 10:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Thanks Tom. Points huh? OK, then, cause tip is at the end of the stick, right? Then the tip is connected to the nice smooth shaft, which must be stroked just right, then the shaft has a joint, with male and female parts, which is connected to the Butt? OK so far, then after the stroke, the ball goes deep into the pocket if it doesn't hit the Tit, oops, point, and nobody gets scratched. OK then, I think I got it now, and if you really want to stroke good, then you eat the peanut butter, but you gotta mix it with the whipped cream, so you won't get hurt. And if you can't get the peanut butter, then Barbara has the nuts! Whew, this game is makin' me horny.
Gayle in Md.
<hr /></blockquote>

Let us not forget the Q-Slick for protection and Q-Glide for the extra smoooth stroke! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies/mhihi.gif

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Hi Fran, geez, I'm not sure what it was, LOL, but I haven't had this much fun since you and I went out to the villiage to gather nuts and berries, LOL.
Gayle...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 10:39 PM
AH HA HA HA HA! So that's what that stuff is, LMAO.
Gayle in La La Land... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2003, 10:40 PM
and JOINT protectors.. keep them straight... so they screw properly..

Gayle in MD
01-15-2003, 10:44 PM
AH HA HA HA HA! Right, you gotta keep polishing those shafts to win the game, and wear your glove before you stroke,LOL, forgot about that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Gayle....

Ralph S.
01-16-2003, 12:18 AM
I am tellin ya'll ya could make a sailor blush with shame LMAO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Ralph S.

John in NH
01-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Hi Tom,

Where I come from we always called it the point or the tip and I have also heard edge of the pocket, sometimes someone has said tit of the pocket (which always raised a few eyebrows)which never did quite fit with me or my friends.

Regards,

John

Fred Agnir
01-16-2003, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> .I guess when I'm teaching kiss shots, I could tell my students to make sure they line up the ass-crack of the two balls to the pocket. I dunno....probably not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.<hr /></blockquote>
LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

How's that for an informative post with plenty of feedback.

Fred &lt;~~~ LMACO

Barbara
01-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Gayle,

One time at the ph (when I used to go there) this guy Big John was playing some 9-ball for a few jelly beans at the gambler's table (the only triple shimmed in the house). Anyway, I was just banging balls around a couple tables away when he shoots this bank shot and it looks like it's slowing down too much just before it gets to the pocket. Big John says, out loud, almost too loud, "Oh baby, don't stop now!". And as soon as he said that he looked up and turned to me and proceeded to turn 7 shades of red. He stayed red for quite a while that afternoon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara~~~what sexual innuendo??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
01-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Did you hear about the pirate that went into a bar and the bartender said to him, "Hey, you have a steering wheel in your crotch!" "Arrgghh", the pirate replied, "it's driving me nuts."

TonyM
01-16-2003, 03:21 PM
In the U.K., they usually refer to them as "knuckles". I have always used the term "horn" to refer to the outer edges of the pocket.

Can't see anyone short of a Rino or a Unicorn taking offense with that!

Tony
-sorry if I offended any Unicorns!