PDA

View Full Version : INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS?

snipershot
01-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Living in Canada I consider myself to be an international member, I have seen a few others around here like bigbro and Brent ( just because Estonia is small doesn't mean I don't know where it is), I was just wondering why there aren't more foreigners here?

Rod
01-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Well two reasons I can think of. Either they don't know it exists, very possible. Or they don't speak or write english.
I might find a site in Germany but I wouldn't know what they were talking about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

01-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Rod,

here is a good example of your statement.

http://perso.infonie.fr/abc.eaubonne/

Anyone here able to translate this billiard site for me? Perhaps a friendly French-Canadian? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

Brent
01-16-2003, 02:50 AM
Yay. I feel so warm inside now that snipershot knew where I was from and even knew where it was at. The thing is that even alot of europeans dont know where estonia is and that just pisses me off. They will soon know when Estonia joins the EU. I often have to explain people that estonia is south from Finland and so on...lol btw we got a poster of Mika Immonen in our poolroom with his autograph /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ok later all.

mickey2
01-16-2003, 06:15 AM
I am pretty sure that there are many international visitors, but most of them just lurk around like me.
IMHO there are three main reasons:
a) feeling uncomfortable to write postings in a foreign language
b) quit a lot of postings are “local” postings, e.g. APA league, regional tournaments and a large number of postings about meeting each other
c) billiard communities in their own country/language
d) it seems that international topics are not so interesting for the majority of this board, e.g. how many postings are there about the IBC-Tour?

Mickey2

Kato
01-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Don't forget about Marek in the CR. Should have a new story or two coming from him soon.

Kato

Paul_Mon
01-16-2003, 09:57 AM
I live in Greece NY

landshark1002000
01-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Very funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I grew up just south of your "international" location, in Henrietta, New York; but most of us say we're from upstate NY or Rochester. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bigbro6060
01-16-2003, 01:01 PM
One thing i've notieced on the web is that the US cuesports world stays totally seperate from the UK cuesports world. One too many arguments about Snooker v Pool i guess /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There really isn't much of a web presencee about pool in Australia so i goto any pool forum with the most knowledgeable people and taht is mainly this forum and one english forum.

It's actually interesteding when i post the same question in both forums and get two totally different sets of answers /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish i could find more Australian Pool enthusiasts

Kato
01-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Texas is a different country according to Rackmup. All the CCB'ers from the independent country of Texas then are international members.

Kato

Paul_Mon
01-16-2003, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark1002000:</font><hr> Very funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I grew up just south of your "international" location, in Henrietta, New York; but most of us say we're from upstate NY or Rochester. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It's funny how many Cities and Countries have lent their name to towns nearby. I can go less than 40 miles and be in Mexico, Lima and Warsaw. BTW, we're about the same age. I was born in Irondequoit (Indian for: where the water meets the land) and lived there until I was 24.

best regards..........Paul

landshark1002000
01-16-2003, 01:56 PM
OK. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gifWe're both older than dirt. But HOW do you know my age?

Rod
01-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Yes all four are very valid reasons. IBC-Tour, well I have little clue what's happening back east unless it is a national event. Even then it is somewhat limited, let alone outside of the US. People talk more about what they see in person. Since TV coverage is poor at best in the US and near non existant from other countries, I imagine that's one reason why the IBC is rarely discussed. I get my yearly fix from the world snooker championships in England and a supprise this year with the Mosconi Cup.

As mentioned people do plan on meeting at events. That is usually more involved with the group back east( you know the ones with the funny accent)! LOL had to say that. There are a lot more events that take place back there. I imagine if one lived in or around Munich or London similar conversations take place. Language will always be a factor.

01-17-2003, 01:54 AM
I'm from England