PDA

View Full Version : Have YOU ever been HUSTLED ?

bigbro6060
01-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Just interested to see if anyone has been hustled ? and i don't mean those silly tricks, a proper playing hustle

silverbullet
01-15-2003, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Just interested to see if anyone has been hustled ? and i don't mean those silly tricks, a proper playing hustle <hr /></blockquote>

I do not know what a real hustle is not being a gambling person. All I know is that when I used to go into a pool hall to practice, 75% of the time, someone tried to bother me to play them.Stuff like 'I can tell you are better than me, do you want to play?'. I never let it get far enough to know if it was a play hustle or even worse a sex hustle.

I do not go without a guy anymore. It is sad, I just went to practice and be left alone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

bw

JPB
01-15-2003, 10:32 PM
Sure. When I was just starting pool and was even worse than I am now, I went to a poolroom where there was some action occasionally and started practicing. A real squirrely loser type guy saw I couldn't make a ball so he started bothering me to play him. I resisted, but he pestered me into playing cheap. The first game I lucked into a few amazing shots and this guy started crying and accusing me of hustling him, even though he was hiding what speed he had at the time. I didn't know how to handle it then. Well, he ended up beating me easily after a few games as I knew he would. So it was funny because he hustled me, but I had him thinking he might have been the one hustled for a minute. I think I lost like $5, so that should have taken car of his rent and car payment that whole month. Well, for him I think the rent and car payment were the same thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Man I miss that poolroom, even though it wasn't my regular one.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-15-2003, 10:46 PM
If the hustler is doing it correctly.. you will never know you've been hustled.

Two friends of mine were playing One Pocket.. lots of moves that don't require pocketing a ball.. Well.. two college kids challenged them to a friendly game of 8 ball partners, alternating shots... $5 a man.. after my two friends won the first 4 games.. Breaking and running out all 4 games... the kids pulled up and asked if they were PROS.. I had to hold my laughing in, it was halarious.. these two kids were going to show the old men how to play pool.. RIGHT..

Ward
01-16-2003, 07:15 AM
I may have been, I don't know...I probably wouldn't know if it was a good hustle...

Later
Ward

01-16-2003, 09:42 AM
I have come close to being hustled twice in my life. The first time was just prior to my induction into the US Army and that was by Mike Waltrip from Pittsburg, Kansas. I have a good story about that and ended up turning it around on him.

The 2nd time was after I had moved to Oklahoma and owned my clubs. I had a reputation of playing pretty high and welcomed road players so long as they offered a fair game and identified themselves. I am still not sure of this characters name but I believe it was Hippy Jimmy, I had played him in the mid 70's and this gent reminded me of him. At any rate he strolled into my club asking specifically for me and said he lived in Florida but was in town visiting relatives. I told him if he could show me a Florida drivers license I would play him even otherwise I wanted the seven. Well he hemmed and hawed, shuffled his feet and strolled back out never to be seen again, at least by me. LOL

Jimbo

Wally_in_Cincy
01-16-2003, 10:35 AM
More than once I have played younger fellers for a couple bucks or beers. At first I thought maybe I might be getting hustled because they didn't play too well or at least didn't show it. Well it turns out that was their true speed, they just thought they were good. I guess their success against their frat brothers had given them delusions of grandeur.

Sorry for boring everyone with the story, I'm sure it's happened to y'all.

Perk
01-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Can ya share that story jimbo? I am interested...I like hearing some stories like that. Thanks in advance!

Icon of Sin
01-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Just last night this happened...

I got to the bar about an hour before the league starts as usual just so i can shoot a few racks and get used to the table... this guy walks over and starts playing one of the poker machines near me... I am only 23 and he looked about me age maybe a little older... he came over and asked to play me a few, (free table btw) and I said sure, he was increbily convincing before the game started by saying that he never shot before and which games to play. I said i normally play 9-ball and told him that they have to be run in order, then he said well which is the one with all the balls, i said 8-ball probably... he said yeah thats it and that he has seen people play that before. He gave me the break cause he said he never broke before. I dropped a solid and ran 5 more balls. He came to the table and was not a beginner at all. He cycled through 3 different hand bridges to get a good feel for the shot, before I even shot i knew he was just BSing me before the game just by watching his stance and hand. He sank 4 balls and missed and I dropped my last 2. I said there is no way you never shot before now be honest with me, but he continued his charade (SP?) and we shot a few more games, we shot a total of 4 games and it ended up 2-2. In the end he was still saying that it is his 1st time shooting. I just simply smiled and said whatever man, shook his hand and said good game. He kept talking about how hustlers can make money playing the game and stuff like that during our matches, I think he wanted me to put up some money, but i knew better after watching his first shot. He was rather persistant with saying that he is a newbie even after i called him out and 6 other league members showed up. i think he was just trying to make me look like an ass in the beginning, but by the end he only ended up embarrassing himself by saying stuff like that in front of other league membersand experienced players... it was rather humorous...

wolfsburg2
01-17-2003, 10:07 AM
at the bar i used to frequent, i played a kid, he was good and hammered, and hadn't been paying attention( i was on my 5th or 6th game when i palyed him). he asked if i was a good player and i told him it was my first time shooting. he goes on to say he is really good when he's drinking, and he is hammered. now i don't play for money often, but i regret not taking this kids allowance.i ran 5 or six on the break, and he say "no way this is your first time dude", i stick to my story, he misses, after making one or two easy shots, i run out finishing with a nice full table bank, no he's drunk and mad, talking about how i am trying to hustle, a buddy of mine from the bar walks over to him, and says that i lied, and it is actually my second time playing, he had given me a lesson the day before. drunk people suck!! sorry for the boring story. i do not think i am good at pool(far from it imo) but in local bars you get a rep pretty quick if you run a rack once in a while.

SpiderMan
01-17-2003, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Just interested to see if anyone has been hustled ? and i don't mean those silly tricks, a proper playing hustle <hr /></blockquote>

I will often play with strangers if they ask me, but when they mention a wager I usually decline (not into gambling). But once in a blue moon I do, and I don't always lose. Often the hustler is not an exceptionally talented shooter.

Once I was hustled for $10 a game by a guy who was a poor shooter. I was up about $30 when he laid his stick on the table and went to his car for his wallet. Last I saw he was walking across the street, apparently had no car.

Last year I was alone at the PH and working on my left-handed shooting. I was trying to run racks by alternating hands, so it was sort of like playing Scotch doubles with a left-handed beginner. I didn't run many racks. A guy watched me for about 10 minutes and then asked to play cheap 9-ball. I had seen him around and knew that he was much better than me, but I told him I'd play 8-ball instead. After about 2 hours I quit with him only 4 or 5 games ahead. Sure, he beat me, but he worked his ass off and didn't beat me bad. 9-ball hustlers of moderate skill seem to have trouble switching to 8-ball ... they try to run every table from the go, even if it doesn't make good sense to do so. Great shotmakers though /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

snipershot
01-17-2003, 02:01 PM
silly tricks yes, but I haven't been "properly hustled" as of yet, I'm pretty cautious about wagering with strangers.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Actually I am in the process of hustling Tom_in_Cincy right now. I have him convinced he's a better player than me. As soon as I can get a proper wager from him I will show my true speed.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2003, 02:39 PM
that could be arranged.. Wally.. becareful.. you might get what you wish for.. and how do you know I've been playing my true speed?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2003, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> that could be arranged.. Wally.. becareful.. you might get what you wish for.. and how do you know I've been playing my true speed?
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif