PDA

View Full Version : how do you replace a ferrule?

Mr. Blonde
01-16-2003, 04:00 AM
Can somebody tell me how to take off and replace a ferrule or maybe direct me to a website that shows how it's done?

Kato
01-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Take it to someone. That's a heck of a job if you don't know what you're doing or don't have the right equipment.

Kato

L.S. Dennis
01-16-2003, 09:05 AM
This is a job you don't want to attempt yourself if you don't know what you're doing and don't have a lathe at your disposal. The old ferrule needs to be cut off, then a new oversize one glued on and cut down to size. All this should be done on a lathe. There more to it but basically that's how it's done.

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Kato...Let's assume that a tip replacement(Triangle for instance) costs $15. What should a guy doing a ferrule replacement get, being that a lathe must be at his disposal? The tip will need replacing regardless...do you get a package deal in these cases, say the entire job including tip for $35? Is that expecting too much from the guy doing the install, cuz basically we're saying his ferrule work is only worth $20. Thanks...sid

Cueless Joey
01-16-2003, 10:19 AM
My local cuemaker charges $30 to replace a ferrule with a threaded and capped melamine ferrule. Triangle tip included.

Popcorn
01-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Except for a tip that may cost extra, it is one price. The tip comes with the ferrule because there is no extra labor required. $35.00 should include tip of choice except for something like a layered tip in which case only the extra cost of the tip should be added. If the guy in honest, overlapping labor should not be charged

L.S. Dennis
01-16-2003, 11:15 AM
There's more to the pricing structure than what being talked about. First of all we have to know what type of ferrule and replacement tip are being installed. Different ferrule range in costs as do tips. My guess is that for the most generic or inexpensive ferrule and maybe a Le Pro tip,
that $30. price you got is probably pretty fair!