PDA

View Full Version : 3 lame questions...

Icon of Sin
01-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Ok here are three questions that I have that I cannot remeber what the terms are or mean...

what is a carom?

what is the process of having the size of a shaft and tip made smaller (from 13mm to 12mm)?

Some people tell me that blue master chalk sticks better then tan or any other quality, is this true? i used to use blue but now i use tan and never have a problem with it...

Eric.
01-16-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> Ok here are three questions that I have that I cannot remeber what the terms are or mean...

what is a carom?

what is the process of having the size of a shaft and tip made smaller (from 13mm to 12mm)?

Some people tell me that blue master chalk sticks better then tan or any other quality, is this true? i used to use blue but now i use tan and never have a problem with it...

<hr /></blockquote>

Just curious- which Icon of Sin are you(I've got a decent list myself) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To answer your questions:

Carom- in pocket billiards, is usually sending the CB bouncing or caroming off another ball to send the CB in a different direction i.e. carom the CB off the 2 ball to knock in the 9 that is hanging in the corner pocket.

Downsizing a shaft/ferrule/tip involves a cue lathe and someone who knows what he/she is doing. Basically, remove the old ferrule/tip, turn the shaft down to the new size, install new size ferrule/tip. There's more to it, just giving the Readers Digest version.

Masters chalk-per Tweeten(the company that makes it) they are all the same composition. The only diff is the dye. I personally like Masters chalk. It's been said that is goes on smoother, less caking and may grip better.

Hope this helps,

Eric

01-16-2003, 01:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> Ok here are three questions that I have that I cannot remeber what the terms are or mean...

what is a carom?

You remember the traveling carnivals when you were young? They used to serve the most delicious apples on a stick covered with gooey carom.

Circumcision

Enough spittle on the bottom and they all stick equally as well.
<hr /></blockquote>

Ok I apologize in advance and since my answers were useless I would wait for someone else to elaborate! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Jimbo

Brent
01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
1) Carom is a game of billiards with a table with no pockets. The object is to get points. Its played with 3 balls ( red yellow and white or 2 whites and red) One of the whites is youre cue-ball and the other is ur opponents) U score when u hit the object ball (red) with ur cue-ball and then make 3 banks and then hit the opponents cue ball (white or yellow).

2) dont know the word

3) MASTER ROCKS /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The chalk they make the different masters is the same..only the color is different..lol but I sometimes feel that the Blue one sticks better than the grey one.

Hope I lightened all of in a game of Carom /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Europeans know these kind of things. There is a game in europe that u also prolly havent heard of..its Russian Pyramid. Its quite popular here in Estonia and very popular in Russia of course...but thats another story for another time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later

Wally_in_Cincy
01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
Carom- in pocket billiards, is usually sending the CB bouncing or caroming off another ball to send the CB in a different direction i.e. carom the CB off the 2 ball to knock in the 9 that is hanging in the corner pocket.
<hr /></blockquote>

I have always heard that referred to as a "billiard" shot.

A carom shot I define as sending the object ball off of another ball into the pocket.

Never noticed a lot of difference between different colors of Masters chalk. I can say Masters is by far the best chalk though IMO.

Fred Agnir
01-16-2003, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> what is a carom?<hr /></blockquote>
Same thing as a Cannon.

[ QUOTE ]
what is the process of having the size of a shaft and tip made smaller (from 13mm to 12mm)? <hr /></blockquote>
Reduction by turning (on a lathe). That being said, I reduced a shaft diameter with some low-grit sandpaper, and ended up with surprisingly decent results. Not for the faint of heart. I don't suggest any decent stick undergoing such a horror.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people tell me that blue master chalk sticks better then tan or any other quality, is this true<hr /></blockquote>
This is true. That is, different color Master Chalk behaves differently. I think that the difference between Green vs. Blue is the easiest seen.

Although it may be true that the "chalk" itself is identical (it's silica mixed with some foo foo dust), the colorant itself must have an impact if all other things are equal. That's consistent with other industries.

Fred

TomBrooklyn
01-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Ovington Billiards in Brooklyn has tan cloth and tan Master chalk and I never noticed a problem with it sticking on the tip. -Tom

Eric.
01-16-2003, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

I have always heard that referred to as a "billiard" shot.

A carom shot I define as sending the object ball off of another ball into the pocket.

Never noticed a lot of difference between different colors of Masters chalk. I can say Masters is by far the best chalk though IMO. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with ya. Actually, I've heard the same shot called a number of things like "kiss" "carom" "billiard" and "Plant or Cannon"(can't remember which is what).

Eric

TonyM
01-16-2003, 03:14 PM
I don't think that you're questions are lame at all!

A carom occurrs when you send a cue ball off an object ball, and then the cue ball strikes or perhaps even pockets a second object ball.

So a carom is the second collision that the cue ball makes after a first collision has occurred.

This is different from a combination as it is the cue ball that is used to hit the second ball, not the first object ball directly.

The process of having a shaft made smaller in diameter is commonly reffered to as "re-tapering".

Yes, I think that blue Masters sticks better.

Tony

TonyM
01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
I should mention that a carom can also occurr when an object ball is directed off of another object ball as well. Some call the cue ball version I mentioned a "billiard", although technically, I think that they are both examples of caroms.

Tony

Icon of Sin
01-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Thanks Tony for saying they wernt lame questions

Thanks everyone else for defining Carom for me...

About the process of resizing a shaft, i heard it called one of these.. one of these or somthing like it is what i wanted as an swer, i just cant remeber to save the life of me:

Is it?
Taking in
Taken down
turned in
turned down
or somthing like that?

Icon of Sin
01-16-2003, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious- which Icon of Sin are you(I've got a decent list myself) <hr /></blockquote>

Got my name from the last level of Doom II, i used to be a big online gamer, still play sometimes, i use the name for message boards, online games, everything, kinda like it... hope that helps.

01-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Just to add my chalk experience regarding blue Masters chalk:

The shop where I bought my new table sent along a box of green Masters to go with the green Simonis cloth. I've been using it, and I haven't noticed any difference between it and Masters blue.

I always liked Triangle chalk myself. Don't know why, it just seemed to work better for me. Didn't seem to be quite as hard.

Vapros
01-16-2003, 04:44 PM
I see that your questions have already been answered, but I might add a word of warning. Going from 13 mm to 12 mm is a drastic move. You're about to create a fly rod. Get some good advice and advance slowly. Maybe go to 12 3/4 or 12 5/8 first and see how you like it.

01-16-2003, 05:23 PM
"Turned down" is the phrase I've always heard.

Rod
01-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Regarding the chalk. Masters, NTC, Triangle, makes little difference to me including the color. I haven't used all colors such as red because I won't play on a red table not to mention some others. I'd rather just watch. It's my belief (first hand viewing) that people either blame the tip or the chalk. Sometimes their complaint is valid but most times it is not. More likely, what their arm and back hand is doing. I can get more english, draw ect; with blue, or I miscue a lot with green or tan or whatever. It's not founded since me or another is using the same color and hasen't miscued for a month! Well you get the point, it's mental and they believe it to be true. If they believe that, it will come true. No difference than thnking your going to miss a shot. If that is the mind set chances are the ball may not scare the pocket. The focus is not on the shot. If quality chalk is used it should not matter.

BTW there is some really poor chalk being manufactured.

landshark1002000
01-16-2003, 08:38 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
In Phoenix I've heard your second question described as a pro-taper. But maybe not down to 12mm. I went down to a 12 and 3/4 mm and that was fine for me. I've played with 11mm and even smaller! (But I would never own one.)
13mm is bar cue size, generally. As you get smaller the cue stick gets more flex. (The english gets accented too.) It only takes a tiny change in width to experience the difference. The point is: it'll change a lot of your game. As you shrink in width your stroke has got to become more and more accurate. That extra english from a whippy cue is also going to affect your sense of speed. So try some other guy's cue first. It's a big change, maybe something in-between is a safer step than all at once. I have a friend with an 8mm! But I can't play with his cue. It's bizarre what happens.

TonyM
01-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Turned down would be the technically correct term. An object is "turned" on a lathe, so the process of removing material is "turning it down".

Tony
-and my Mom used to yell "turn it down"! when my stereo was too loud as well!.....

TonyM
01-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Removing diameter from a shaft in stages is good advice. It is easy to remove material, but awfully hard to put it back on!

However, turning a shaft down to 12 mm does not neccessarily mean that it will become excessively whippy.

It depends on how the material is removed. If you create a long cylindrical section (a "pro taper") of 12 mm in diameter, then yes this might well be quite whippy. But a shaft can be re-tapered to have a compound taper if desired. Thus, a 13 mm shaft could be re-tapered so that the tip was 12 mm in diameter, but the profile of the shaft could be more conical than cylindrical. Such a taper can actually feel "stiffer" than the original shaft because of the conical shape.

My 9 ball cue has a 12 mm tip, but it is not a fly rod. In fact it is stiffer than most 13 mm standard pro taper pool shafts.

It's all in the taper.

Tony
-and as Fred says, in how you use it!.....