PDA

View Full Version : skill levels in your area

silverbullet
01-17-2003, 10:19 AM
I am curious about what the various skill levels in some other areas can do since it is dependent mostly by the people one plays against, so I can see how our area compares.

I would like to know things like how well they play shape, safe, banks and kicks, how many balls they get in a run per game, can they do masses, jumps or any other hard thing you can think of. I am really interested in good at their level, not the ones who just got promoted and are still playing most like the high players in the sl below them.

thanks in advance.

blu

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2003, 11:56 AM
We have a city legue.. not affiliated with any national organization. That has a simple handicap formula based on average innings for a game.

There is a big differnce tho, if you win 3 weeks in a row.. your handicap goes up one level (levels are 2-7) if you are a 7 and you win 3 in a row, you go up to an 8. You can't average an 8 but you can be accessed this handicap for the wins.

The top player in our city league average less than 2 innings per game and we have some that are averaging just over 1 inning per game.

The top 5 players will only get a loss if someone makes the 8 on the break, or they accidentally make the 8 out of order.

All the top players are capable of breaking and running out almost anytime at the table. If not.. they play excellent safes. They are very good at table management and cue ball control. They are also very good 9 ball players, they play in different leagues, lots of tournaments, and occasionally gamble.

Banks, safes and kicks? They have sucess more than 80% of the time. Runs? if they make a ball on the break, and can manage the table (break out clusters and get shape) they can run 6 or 7 balls consistantly.

This is not a APA or VNEA league.. its a City league. There are different rules than the national orgs, but not that much different.

The bottom line for these players.. they play 6 or 7 days a week. And, they play long sessions. Lots of pool time=good pool skills for them.

silverbullet
01-17-2003, 12:38 PM
wow. sounds like your players are really good. our apa7s are not that good. when i told one of the lo's that lots of them played like a pro one week and then when off played like a 3-4, he denied it. course he doesnt want to admit that he has a few sevens who arent any better than some of the good 5,s...how they got there and stay there beats me. guess if they play like a seven 50% of the time, is enuff.

blu

SpiderMan
01-17-2003, 01:17 PM
BW,

I am in the Dallas APA. I think we have about 15 or 20 SL7 players in this league market area.

There is a "figure of merit" number that is calculated by the APA handicapping software. I'm not certain of the physical significance of this number, but I do know that the better players have lower numbers.

We had our division playoff finals this week, and because of the lineups we suspected that the whole match might come down to a battle between myself and the other team's SL7. Out of curiosity, my captain inquired of the LO about our ratings, and we were told that my rating was 1.15 and his was 1.3, so you might infer that I would have a slight advantage.

I personally consider us to be fairly equal in ability, and I also consider both of us to be average or maybe slightly above average sevens for this area.

So, since your husband is also a seven, you could ask about his figure of merit. If it's around 1.2 or 1.25, then he might be about an average seven in the Dallas area. If his number is more like 1.1 or less, he would likely be a little bit better than average here. At any rate, if you can find out his number that would give you some indication of where he'd fit in with us, and you'd have an indirect comparison of how the APA player skills here compare to where you are.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
01-17-2003, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>...we were told that my rating was 1.15 and his was 1.3, so you might infer that I would have a slight advantage....<hr /></blockquote>

That's probably your average innings per win. Fred Agnir would know for sure.

I think the APA is now trying to nationalize their handicap system to eliminate, or at least minimize, regional disparities. I'm pretty sure our LO is now wired to the national office rather than being autonomous regarding his handicapping.

Fred Agnir
01-17-2003, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>...we were told that my rating was 1.15 and his was 1.3, so you might infer that I would have a slight advantage....<hr /></blockquote>

That's probably your average innings per win. Fred Agnir would know for sure.<hr /></blockquote>
Don't go spreading that rumor. I've got myself into enough trouble with the APA.

I've never heard of the term, but it sure looks like an innings per win. And normally, innings per win are profoundly effected by the regional strength.

For example, in Spiderman's case, if he *always* had to play SL-7's, then he'd lose more games than he's losing currently (which obviously ain't much). Therefore, that "order of merit" number would start to climb.

Fred

silverbullet
01-17-2003, 04:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

That's probably your average innings per win. Fred Agnir would know for sure.<hr /></blockquote>
Don't go spreading that rumor. I've got myself into enough trouble with the APA.

I've never heard of the term, but it sure looks like an innings per win. And normally, innings per win are profoundly effected by the regional strength.

For example, in Spiderman's case, if he *always* had to play SL-7's, then he'd lose more games than he's losing currently (which obviously ain't much). Therefore, that "order of merit" number would start to climb.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

that is kind of what i thought. my innings are high in about 50% of the cases due to playing a lot of safeties (the other 50% due to playing bad, choking or whatever) and my team doesnt count them as defensive shots even when it is obvious.

some body is gonna kill me. i wrote our lo to see what my wl % is. he wrote back and said it did not matter, it mattered how well i played in each game. ( i question if he is telling the whole truth but that is what he said)

i told him that they do not count my safes which makes my innings high when i am playing better players. i knew that they werent supposed to be doing that. whether anybody will do anything, or whether it makes me go up or i stay a 2 for awhile longer is immaterial. fairs fair.

bw