PDA

View Full Version : My Predator experiment is over

Kato
01-17-2003, 05:44 PM
2 cues and 1 shaft later my days of playing with Predator are over. Just for S & G I decided to put my Manzino shaft back on my Helmstetter and that was all it took. A shaft that I didn't think could make balls anymore hits straighter and gets more action than any of my Predator shafts and cues did. At this stage of my playing I couldn't believe it. My Predators are now being saved or sold I haven't decided which.

Kato~~~can't believe it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Can't believe it /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Can't believe it /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

silverbullet
01-17-2003, 05:58 PM
WOW. I dont see that the pred shaft is any better than the one on the cue from blackheart, but then i may not be as alert to fine points as some.

bw

Cueless Joey
01-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Sell them crap.
I'll give you a hundred for the shaft. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Mr. Kato..
Maybe all the cold weather in your part of the woods has crimped your style a bit..

I put a Predator shaft on my old Meucci and played with it for almost 3 months. At first, I missed everything.. the shaft played like it was bouncing off the cue ball. I've never had that feeling from a cue before.. and it was very annoying. I tried to play with it, and I did eventually start making shots but I couldn't shake that annoying feeling.... so I sold the shaft and got a Joss.. and have been playing with the Joss effectively. NOW I have got a Pete Omen Cue.. and its in its second week of use... I am still evaluating its play.. but so far.. I am very pleased.. I can tell you one thing.. The hit is solid.. wood to wood joint that makes the feel of the shot just great..

Voodoo Daddy
01-17-2003, 08:53 PM
When yor done messin' around with all that wood, lemme know. I'll hook you right up with an OMEN!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
01-17-2003, 09:04 PM
You Da Man!!!!

God knows that there are things of nature you can fool with and Predator did just that.

You are a Natural Man!! WooHee!! Oh Baby!! You have seen the ways of the dead
wood to make shots go in but have seen the ways of the natural wood to live for the next shot
and FEEL for that SHOT!!!

I've heard players of the Predator tell me that the shaft feels "dead", but they can make a shot.
Something akin to Fran Crimi posting about feeling vibrations through your skin without wearing
a glove.

Hey Buddy, stick to natural. It's what Nature intended.

Barbara~~~Kato made a big step tonight..... I'll sweeten it up later.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
01-17-2003, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A shaft that I didn't think could make balls anymore hits straighter and gets more action than any of my Predator shafts and cues did. <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,

Oh My!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Why how can that be? Pred says 25% more accurate and 14% more spin. Heavens to Murgatriod, could they be spinning a tale? LOL Stay tuned for the next episode! Can Batman spin his rock? Can Robin find his rocks? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Will Kato crawl from under the rock? Will Bon Jovi continue to rock? -------------------- /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

c.holtz009
01-18-2003, 10:01 AM
WOW!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I was going to buy a predator shaft for my cue, with mine being a little warped and the cue company not willing to replace it(long story /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif) however now I am re-considering it. I'm sure there are better shafts out there. I just don't know what they are. Any suggestions?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Harold Acosta
01-18-2003, 10:06 AM
How many times have I posted that Predators are just hype? I've almost been blasted off the face of this earth because of my negative posts about Predator but what the heck, I don't care. There's nothing better that the old regular wood shaft! I'm glad to know that many CCB'ers are now realizing that; and needless to say, I'm more happy than a dog with 2 tails!

Nonetheless, I still give those players that own Predators, the benefit of the doubt. Maybe some day they'll convert back to the regular shaft.

I still own a Uniloc Predator shaft (Lucasi) with checkered rings and Talisman soft tip, anyone interested? Just email me.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Fran Crimi
01-19-2003, 12:42 AM
OK, my turn. I love Predator shafts. As soon as I tried one, it gave me exactly what I was looking for in a shaft. Minimal deflection, stiffer hit, all with a pro taper. My love for the Predator is what prompted Ray Schuler to find out what was so special about the shaft and why so many pros were using them. After checking it out, he finally admitted to me that it was in fact, the real deal and not a gimmick. Schuler never admitted to another cue maker being comprable to himself, except this one time. I'd still be using the Predator if Ray hadn't developed a comprable prototype which is what I use today. Unfortunately it was still in developmental stages at the time of his death and isn't for sale. So when I'm ready for a new shaft, I imagine I'll get me another Predator.

It doesn't suit everybody. We all have different tastes. But I would never knock another cuemaker just because their cue doesn't fit my taste. I'm really surprised at some of my friends here who see fit to be so nasty towards Predator. I thought they were above something like this.

Fran

SRpool
01-19-2003, 03:06 AM
I recently tried a predator shaft as well. i'm still debating on whether i want to spend the $300 to buy it. (I play with a cognoscenti so they are hard to come by) i used it for one day and i made shots that i dreamed of making before and had so much action on the cue ball. But then i was thinking...if i ever stop playing with this shaft will i be able to make a ball?? so since i couldnt make up my mind i switched back to my regular shaft and to my suprise using the predator was a confidence builder. the shots i made with the predator shaft i could now make with my cue. maybe it's all mental but maybe you could look at your experiment as showing yourself the things that you, yourself, can do. just an idea

cheesemouse
01-19-2003, 10:07 AM
Like Fran, I love my preditors shafts. I've been using them for two years now and the transtion period for me was radical as I had been playing with a shaft that twanged like a toning fork after each shot. I was lucky in that I have a home table and a pigheaded nature that would not allow me to stop using them (once I had spent the money) during the transition period. I watched my 'A' tank and my confidence wane, slowly but surely my consistancey increased and that was what I was looking for in the first place. Every once in a while I will think "man, I wish I had my old twirler for this shot" but it rarely happens anymore. Like my 15 putters they all feel good when I put them back in the bag after a rest in the trunk but there is one of them that always gets the nod for the cash and in pool shafts the one that gets the nod for the cash is the Preditor. I'm not pushing the thing. I don't care what shaft my opponents have screwed on their butts; it's not my concern.
I'm very hard on equiptment and my two Preditor shafts still have the tips from the factory and look like they will last another two years.

01-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Fran...have not seen your name on the board in a long time...I started a different thread on the PREDATOR 2 cue...I see that you like the shaft...I like the predator shaft on Schon cues. I recently had my Schon stolen so I am in the market for a new cue... I was looking at just buying a Predator 2 cue instead of buying a Schon and then buying a Predatro shaft...(I do not like the shafts that come on the "NEW" Schons....but I love the balance of the Schon cue...Do you know anything about the Predator 2 cue??? What is the balance like????

I only know of one person in Phx that I think plays the Predator 2...(Angel Paglia...or her Dad) but I have not seen her..or him.. in any pool rooms lately....(funny how you run into someone all the time and then when your looking for them you can't find them)

any way if you know anything about this cue...I would love your input...Thanx
(GO RAIDERS!!!!!!)

silverbullet
01-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Great!!

i have sp and pred bk and think that they are wonderful.

I have the blackheart and like it too (think it is a little more wonderful /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and like the weight etc.

When I am off , nothing goes in no matter what i shoot with. When i am shooting good (for me that is) it matters less.

Having been here for about six months and hearing all of these opinions, just have to conclude it is the person and personal preferences.

Dont know why people get so hot and want to bash certain cue makers either. Dont get that and never will.

bw

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Kato...I wonder if you are going through a mental phase with your Predator shafts, meaning your return to the beginning shaft and it working so well wasn't so much that the Predator was inferior, just that the Manzino tweaked old memories and you played instantly better. I'd suggest this,,,put the Predators away for 2+ months and then try one again just out of curiosity one day. I have many cues, one being a 314 shafted cue, and I rarely play pool with it since I have a new cue as a favorite. BUT every once in a while I will grab that 314 shafted cue on the home table and find that the reduced deflection and stiff hit I get still finds my appreciation. Is there a valid reason I am not using it? No, just that I like something new and the newer it is the better I seem to play(dumb, I know.)

I'll always keep my 314, and I think you might too after taking a break from them for a while. Still, your opinion concerning your own equipment is the one which counts...sid

Kato
01-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Lot's of pros use 'em. I've seen people improve with them. The reality is that I never adjusted. After 2 years I'm not better and I know more. I invested a lot of time and money into Predator. Who knows, maybe someday I'll go back. Right now in my developement it's not for me. Others yes, me, no.

Kato

Kato
01-19-2003, 02:48 PM
I'll probably sell my SLP, I wasn't using it anyway. I had Dennis Searing do a nice work up on my Predator shaft for my Helmstetter. That I'll keep. Unfortunately the shots I burned into my muscle memory I just never unburned. I continue to miss the same shots over and over. Now, I'm making them.

Kato~~~ain't knocking it, I tried it and it wasn't for me for now.

Fran Crimi
01-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey RC,

I don't know about the balance of the Pred. II cues. I wouldn't take anyone's word on the balance as gospel. People perceive things differently. Besides, balance is the kind of thing you have to feel for yourself. Maybe Predator will agree to send you one and you can return it within a certain time. You'll probably have to pay for it, though.

Pred. shafts are slightly lighter than solid wood shafts so the balance of your Schon will change to slightly back of where it was before. So, keep that in mind if you haven't tried a Pred. shaft on your cue. It takes some players a little while to get used to the difference in both balance and weight, about 1/4 oz. (I think.) I felt the change for awhile in the beginning, but settled into it the first week.

There's really no way you're going to know for sure until you make the investment. Even if you borrowed someone else's equipment, no two cues are made exactly the same.

Fran

Fran Crimi
01-19-2003, 04:13 PM
You know, Cheese, now that you mention it, I did go through a pretty radical transition like you did. I just did it in two stages. I had been using a billiard taper because it gave me the stiffer hit that I wanted for myself. There was definitely a lengthy transition period for me to get used to the stiffness of the shaft, not to mention shooting most of my shots with an open bridge. Then when I discovered the Predator shaft, the transition was easier for me because I had already undergone the worst of it with the other shaft.

Fran

Ralph S.
01-19-2003, 08:36 PM
I am in agreement with Kato about the Predator shafts. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will respect them. I just plain don't like em. I played with one and from what I could tell there wasnt much difference between it and my McDermott.
Ralph S.

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Sounds exactly like the right thing for you to do,,,I'd do the same. The similiar experience for me was the purchase of the Stealth Jumper. My Lucasi works so easy, but I'd heard that the Stealth was the best and I had to know. Well, I ONLY take the Lucasi with me to play now, the Stealth is still mine but sidelined. I put lots of effort into the Stealth, invested in new tips and in the end it just ain't gonna jump for me. Your final answer to yourself is just right(IMO)...sid

Fran Crimi
01-19-2003, 10:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I am in agreement with Kato about the Predator shafts. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will respect them. I just plain don't like em. I played with one and from what I could tell there wasnt much difference between it and my McDermott.
Ralph S. <hr /></blockquote>

Now that's a comment I can relate to and respect, Ralph. Straight forward and to the point. You just don't like it. But when somebody says it belongs in the garbage or it's a phony, well then that not only insults the manufacturer but it also insults everyone who uses it. It's like saying that all you people are idiots for playing with it.

One thing you said did confuse me, though. Why would you not like the shaft if you couldn't tell much difference between the Predator and your McDermott? Is there something about your McDermott you don't like?

Fran

Chris Cass
01-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Does this mean I can get some weight?

Regards,

C.C.~~I'll start with the last two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Voodoo Daddy
01-20-2003, 04:10 AM
Chris, you been a 'lil under the weather lately...shouldnt you start with the 7 and the smash /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif?

Chris Cass
01-20-2003, 05:46 AM
Loves to hear Voodoo describe the blood ball. LOL Out here they say, "What the heck is the blood ball?" I just tell them, the one that you need to survive. hahahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~a lil? that corelates to the hr. sometimes.

Fred Agnir
01-20-2003, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'd still be using the Predator if Ray hadn't developed a comprable prototype which is what I use today. Unfortunately it was still in developmental stages at the time of his death and isn't for sale. So when I'm ready for a new shaft<hr /></blockquote>
Too bad. I wouldn't have minded trying one out.

Fred

Paul_Mon
01-20-2003, 09:06 AM
I have owned three 314 shafts. The first fit my Meucci and it played great. I now have a 314 matched up to a Blackheart custom cue. This Blackheart/314 hits the best of all the 314 combinations I've tried (maybe 10). Of all those combinations however NONE felt sensational. All Predator shafted cues lack feel, IMO. This current 314/Blackheart has the most feedback and solid hit of them all. It may be due to the Blackheart butt contributing or not, who knows. I highly recommend the 314 shafts for one reason only. Less cue ball deflection/squirt. There are, IMO, no other benefits. In reality it is a crutch because of my inability to adjust to any other cue.

socrates
01-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Interesting observation.

When I am able to play a lot of golf (45+ holes/week) I intentionally take two consecutive rounds per month and use another putter.

When I go back to my favorite putter I just feel the blade so much better and believe this helps me maintain my putting stroke and feel.

Since I collect cues I take one weekend a month and shoot with a cue in my collection. When I go back to my regular playing cue I again just feel the cue ball so much better.

It appears your observations are consistent with mine.

Anyone else tried or experienced this.

P.S. Thats why you can always hit the HE.. out of a new driver you take from the pro-shop but as soon as you buy it and take the price tag off the magic disappears. LOL I never take the price tag off when I buy a new driver. (silly superstition)

01-20-2003, 03:02 PM
I've experienced the same. I recently purchased a Brunswick Centennial kit for my new table, and it came with 4 Brunswick Medallion 2-piece house cues (plus a 5th shorty Medallion). I use one as my breaking stick. The other weekend I played for several hours exclusively with one of these cues, leaving my trusty Meucci Original in its case. After adjusting to the initial and drastic difference in feel between the cues, I proceeded to play pretty well with the new house cue. But a couple of days later, I pulled out my Meucci and that good old comfortable feel and hit were back, and I shot better than I have in a long time.