PDA

View Full Version : J/B cue in general

Popcorn
01-18-2003, 09:50 AM
There was a discussion on a new jump break cue in another thread. I wanted to give my take on it, but did not want to direct my comments to any one poster or offend anyone, so I started a new thread. I took a look at the web site for the cue. From what I see it is a nice looking cue and for $335.00 probably not bad for the money. Regardless what you are spending though, if you are serious about the game, you want the optimum advantage. That is why you are spending the money in the first place. That being the case, I would not be looking at a jump break cue at all. The dynamics of the jump cue are well known, and I don't believe that you should attempt to mix the needs of a jump cue and a break cue in one cue. Except for convenience there is no reason. Regarding the cue in question, from the information they provide on the website the front part, (jump part) weights 10 1/2 ounces. Most would agree, that is a little heavy for a jump cue, not that it won't work, but a little heavy. The tip is hardened leather, again not the optimum tip for jumping. For breaking we all have different needs and what makes a good break cue can be different to different players. I don't think because of the individual requirements the two cues can be combined. My break cue is 18 ounces, 56 inches, thick in the joint and has a 13 1/4 mm tip kept a certain way. My jump cue is 8.2 ounces, 44 inches, 13 3/4 mm with a phenolic tip. You see the problem here, I have no intentions of compromising what I like for convenience. To sum it up, you need what works for you. It is hard to mix the two concepts in one cue regardless of the cuemaker or quality of the cue. Someone said I was from the old school, not true. I am a good friend of Pat Fleming was using a jump cue when most had no idea what it was. I like new things and am very open minded to what is new. The jump break cue has been around for a long time and at it's best, still has limitations that you can't get around, if the individual player is to have everything they need to play their best game. That is my honest opinion, although others may disagree.

Rich R.
01-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Popcorn, I appreciate your opinion and I have to agree that you can not get the perfect jump cue and the perfect break cue in one stick. I personally have one B/J cue that breaks well but I have trouble jumping with it. I have another B/J cue that jumps well but I have trouble controlling the cue ball when breaking with it.
But you have to agree that all players have their own personal situations and requirements. My current requirements are that I need a cue that breaks well, but jumping is far less of a priority with me, right now. This could change at any time.
For me, right now, a B/J cue, with the priority on breaking, is a good choice. I'm sure you and others have much different priorities. That is what keeps all the cue makers in business. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

John G
01-18-2003, 11:33 AM
As a cue builder I am strongly inclined to aggree with you . While it is possible to attain acceptable results with a B/J, for optium performance, because of the dynamics of each they should be seperate and preferably designed around the playes stature, atrength, etc..But thats just my opinion. John G /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif