PDA

View Full Version : The "SLIP-SHOT"

Candyman
01-18-2003, 09:31 PM
I am new to pool and new to this forum, but I have been reading a lot about the game and its history in the last few months. In checking out Willie Mosconi it was said that he had the best slip-shot ever! I have searched and searched the web for this shot and can't find a thing. Can somebody please explain this shot and possibly demonstrate with those funny number thingys. I did figure out how that worked.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Clay,
If I'm not mistaken Mr. Mosconi was a perfectionist at using the 'Slip Stroke' method of delivering the cue stick to the cue ball..

Here's an account of Mr. Mosconi and his 'Slip Stroke'
http://www.billiardtown.com/mosconi.htm

Here is another site that will sell you instructions on how to use and develop a 'Slip Stoke'
http://www.billiardsinstruction.com/trainaids1.htm
The 'Slip Stroke' is the fine art of actually 'throwing the cue' towards the cue ball and catching it in a very controlled manner. Granted its not much of a throw.. the cue does actually come out of your rear hand and is caught by the same hand just a few inches forward.

I have experimented with this technique and have found it very effective with draw and english shots.

JohnnyP
01-19-2003, 01:02 AM
I just did a quick search at rec.sport.billiards:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=slip+stroke&btnG=Google+Search

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=64f4d1de3e44ff0a&rnum=2

I accidentally stumbled onto it back in '69. I started letting the cue slide out of my hand on the forward stroke, and it stopped me from twisting my wrist.

Rod
01-19-2003, 01:42 AM
Clay,
The slip-stroke can not be shown on the wei table. Simply put it is sliding the shooting hand back without moving the instrument. The distance might be from 1" to 6" at the extreme. This is done by snugging up the index finger around the cue on your bridge hand. That enables the shooting hand to slide back. What happens with this type of stroke is impact comes earlier before the arm reaches the "normal 90 degree" position at impact. Benefits to this type of stroke is your guaranteed a full follow through. Down side, it requires better timing to release earlier before the std 90 degree position. Not to mention an added moving part to the swing. One note most slip-strokers have their arm slightly forward at address.

Mosconi was not very noticable with his slip stroke. If you view old tapes you will see some movement. If you really want to see the all time best slip-stroke artist watch any tapes with Jimmy "Cowboy" Moore. Most of the time he was a short step behind Mosconi or Lassiter, but man what a smooth stroke and powerfull if needed. A slip-stroker may let the cue slide forwards (well after impact). Reason being they grip the cue very light so it can happen.

The actual throwing motion ( not having any grip pressure on the cue at impact) as Tom describes serves to deaden or kill the shot. Such a stroke is used on certain shots when you want to kill whitey. It's a toss and catch it after impact. Leonard gave CC a good example of this type of stroke and how well it works. All strokes have a time and place, even a slip-stroke is not used 100 percent.

It falls into the categorie of it's a natural part of your game near the begining. Since I grew up around older players that used this stroke I adapted very fast. Very few if any of the young players use it. Roger Griffis is one who does but he ain't young. It's from the older generation and maybe best left there. But your always welcome to give it a try.

Chris Cass
01-19-2003, 03:01 AM
Hi Rod,

I used to have a slip stroke for many yrs. When, I rebuilt my stroke mechanics from the ground up 2 yrs. ago I eliminated the slip stroke. I noticed, Heide has developed one and been trying to eliminate it from her game as well.

The reason I have done this is because. The slip stroke is extremely hard to teach and also to control. I do use it today, on some shots and works for a killer break BTW also. It takes many yrs. of playing to perfect it. It seems that beginners do better, not to learn this stroke all togather IMHO.

Our friend #### Leonard discussed this with me one day and reminded me of a great reason to use it, for a particular shot. It's a great way to kill the cb when confined to a small wedge. Then again, Mr. Leonard has taught me a lot of valuable things.

Speaking of video on the subject. I know of one person that actually teaches or atleast talks about it. He is a very old and dear friend of mine and Scott Lee'. That would be Don Feeney. He's put out a tape on the subject of different types of strokes one can develope. I don't know the name of the video. I have seen it many yrs. ago when he was putting it out. I'm thinking 1989-90? Don loves snooker play mostly but can play everything.

Don Feeney is a remarkable young man, for being in his 60's. He frequents Chris' Billiards in Chicago and still able to run a hundred in straight pool. He's a BCA qualified instructor and although he's a business aquaintance of Bert K. whom I'm not fond of, Don has always been a favorite of mine. His stroke is very smooth. A pleasent person to talk to and a gentleman 100%. I'm not saying this to sell his videos or break even with him for buying me breakfast at Denny's at 4:30am after a nite of playing at Harolds Billiards. LOL

Thanks for the memories,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
01-19-2003, 04:08 AM
Well Chris that's my thoughts too. Darn difficult for anyone to make a switch. It's light years from a conventional stroke. That's why I said you really had to start playing that way, it's an aquired talent not something to teach. I myself have cut back and it is not near as noticable. When I get to playing well though it creeps back in there to some degree. After all these years it's tough to eliminate.

Interesting on Don's tape. It might be very worth while for those interested. I don't think it's possible to spend to much time in this area. Hey I'd put a good word in if someone bought me breakfast! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheesemouse
01-19-2003, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get to playing well though it creeps back in there to some degree. After all these years it's tough to eliminate.<hr /></blockquote>

Like Rod, the slip stroke only slips into my game when I'm zoning out and I'm very comfortable with the speed of the table. I'm not conscious of when I will hit a shot with this stroke but it seems to happen when I'm really twirling the whiteball with soft strokes...it's a mystery to me...

James B
01-19-2003, 02:47 PM
"Boston Shorty" (Larry Johnson) used a light grip and his hand would slip forward.