PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ball Rules Questions

01-18-2003, 11:13 PM
I have a questions for 8 Balls game, My friends insist that when there is just the cue ball and 8 ball on the table and you scratch while hitting the 8ball you automatically lose. yet I look on the World Standardized Rules and it says that "When shooting at the 8-ball, a scratch or foul is not loss of game if the 8-ball is not pocketed or jumped from the table", so my question is Do you LOSE if you scratch while shooting at the 8ball but the 8ball does not get pocketed?

WaltVA
01-18-2003, 11:47 PM
It all depends on what rules you are playing by. The BCA rules you quoted are driven by the idea that you cannot win or lose while the 8-ball is on the table - it must be pocketed, legally or illegally, to end the game.

However, APA league rules state that you lose if you scratch while playing the 8-ball, whether or not you pocket it.

In almost all the "bar rules" establishments, a scratch on the 8 is loss of game, period.

HTH,
Walt in VA

heater451
01-19-2003, 12:11 PM
TAP rules also follow the APA: A scratch on the eight is a loss.

Futhermore, in APA and TAP, an 8 on the break is a win, but in BCA rules it is not (the 8 is spotted, or there is a re-rack).

=================

06-15-2003, 01:20 AM
You certainly do not lose in this case. You are correct, and WORLD STANDARD RULES are just that. Some leagues and such change portions of these rules for their purposes, but they are all based on WORLD STANDARD or BCA rules. These rules are consistent worldwide and utilized as standards by all the major world pool federations. Your friend is just misinformed. be careful to stipulate rules before you play for as the others post, some are ignorant to the standard rules and believe their league or their bars rules are standard.

07-02-2003, 01:13 AM
In Rome, you do as the Romans do. If you roll into Billy Joe bob's bar, you play bar rules, which are different in every bar on earth. They sort of make them up as they go along so trying to find out what they are becomes a discovery process usually costing you several games by the rulings. People will hose you on the rules if they can.
Your official rule book means nothing to them, they never heard of it. Fast Larry

09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
usually people that play bar rules will play like that. it just depends on who and where you are playing.

Billy_Bob
09-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I've played bank eight where scratching is not loss of game... (local rules)