PDA

View Full Version : Nine Ball Approach For The Break

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2003, 12:00 PM
I am personally finding out that I have broken enough nine ball racks in my life to simply drop down behind the CB after my preshot stance without ever looking at the one ball, and I hit harder and make balls much more consistently. No other shot seems to have this for me, but the 9-ball break is one that leans toward a school of thought of not looking at the one last. Now I am finding that I don't even need to see it(one-ball) AT ALL once I begin making the bend over the table, my orientation "knows" where everything is, it works better that way...sid~~~today's revelation

01-19-2003, 01:29 PM
Spoken like a player who has never had a "bad" rack put on him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

L.S. Dennis
01-19-2003, 02:09 PM
There's been so much written and tried regarding the nine ball break that you could probably fill a large book. In the final analisys, the main thing is that you hit the one ball squarely I don't how hard (in fact many of the pros are abandoning the hard break in favor of a softer one these days)and that you don't let the cue ball get away from after you shoot. If you can do this consistently your break will be just fine!

Rod
01-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Sid, a very good player here started breaking by turning his head once set up. I'm not sure what that was about, maybe just taking a little tension out of the stroke since he wasn't looking at the ball or table. I don't know, but I do know he eventually went back to looking at the head ball. As mentioned if you can hit em solid and control whitey and make balls then what more can you ask. I just question what happens if you have to move whitey to find a sweet spot.

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2003, 09:31 PM
"I just question what happens if you have to move whitey to find a sweet spot."

Good question, I'll have to play with that aspect some and see how things work. I have moved around a few inches toward and away from the long rail in reference to my usual break spot, and still come into the head ball solid. The balls didn't fall as well, but the hit on the one still made me feel good. It might all fade to black in a few days, we'll see...sid

Chris Cass
01-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Ahh Jimbo,

Your funny man. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~thinking of Scott Lee. hahahahahaha J/K

Paul_Mon
01-20-2003, 05:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I am personally finding out that I have broken enough nine ball racks in my life to simply drop down behind the CB after my preshot stance without ever looking at the one ball, and I hit harder and make balls much more consistently. No other shot seems to have this for me, but the 9-ball break is one that leans toward a school of thought of not looking at the one last. Now I am finding that I don't even need to see it(one-ball) AT ALL once I begin making the bend over the table, my orientation "knows" where everything is, it works better that way...sid~~~today's revelation <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,
My experience is just the opposite. My break has improved recently due to a couple of factors. First is that I've got a BreakRak that allows me to practice the break shot without having to rack balls. Secondly, what I discovered was that I was not properly aligned to strike the 1 ball flush. I actually get down real low to make sure that I'm aimed properly. After that I'll raise up my head/shoulders to a more upright position. Now my gaze will change from cue ball to object ball. I will agree that the last thing I'm looking at is the cue ball.

Paul Mon

Icon of Sin
01-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Is there a picture of a break rack online anywhere and for sale?, that sounds interesting...

Paul_Mon
01-20-2003, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> Is there a picture of a break rack online anywhere and for sale?, that sounds interesting...
<hr /></blockquote>

try breakrak.com

Perk
01-20-2003, 12:50 PM
http://www.breakrak.com/

Has a video that you can view that shows the rack getting pounded over and over...I think it would be valueable tool to use if you were going to use it amongst "friends" where the value can be spread. I guess thats why I might be old fashioned and get bored practicing breaks by reracking over and over.