PDA

View Full Version : Gambling W/O Money Question

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Ok say somebody supposedly has a backer, you begin to play them as if the backer was there. You immediately find that the players is NOT backed once the backer enters the room, and he(your opponent) never had money on him all this time. Do you pay off this guy for the cash he has you down(couple of sets), or is there a code that dictates that he was wrong to begin without any money, and he deserves no payment???sid

Tom_In_Cincy
01-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Sid,

If you take someone's word that the money is posted.. you are stuck..

Cardinal Rule of Gambling.. Post the money first.. then play..

If you don't do that.. you get stuck all the time..

Chris Cass
01-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Hi Sid,

You have no choice, pay him. Next time you know better and next time if you don't? You still pay him. Sorry buddy, that's the long and short of it. Now, if you win? Expect to be paid 100%. You get what you give. If your willing to lose money then, you should be paid when you win. Bottom line.

Regards,

C.C.~~consider it a lesson learned.

Vapros
01-19-2003, 11:42 PM
If he's playing on air, you're probably right - he doesn't deserve to get paid, but you still owe him the money you lost. There's not much excuse for finding yourself in this fix, as the other guys pointed out. Post up and there will be one less thing to worry about.

snipershot
01-20-2003, 12:20 AM
I'm afraid you still owe him, I played a guy a while ago and beat him to find that he didn't have the money, fortunately he borrowed it from his friends. From now on i'll make sure my opponent has the money before hand and I imagine you will too. It's one of those things you learn the hard way I guess.

01-20-2003, 12:31 AM
Yes you owe him the money but you might want to pay the backer instead of the player. This may help curb his little scam somewhat. What the backer does with the money is irrelevant but since he told you his backer was "in" this seems like a fair compromise. Plus it may make you fell a teeny bit better! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimbo

Jimbo

TomBrooklyn
01-20-2003, 03:05 AM
Yes, you must pay him. You don't know for sure that he couldn't or wouldn't have paid you had he lost. He might have had a source of funds you are unaware of. However, if you are pretty sure that you wouldn't have gotten paid, at least you found out now and you are forewarned about him for the future.

Rich R.
01-20-2003, 07:21 AM
If the guy doesn't lose, he doesn't need money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

As others have said, post the money before any one hits a ball.
Collect/pay after every rack/set/race/whatever.

It is best to keep all payments current. Credit if for car salemen.

cheesemouse
01-20-2003, 07:37 AM
sid,
I'd pay the a$$hole but I would also take him off my Xmas card list...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-20-2003, 09:44 AM
Strangely enough I thought that the natural answer was what everyone here said, you're stuck with paying, but in this real life scenario the local concensus amongst the people "in the know" seem to back the theory that there was solid justification in not paying the guy. Granted, he did have a rep for playing on air(I like that slang phrase) in the past but I figured lost money was just that,,,money you pay and a lesson learned no matter what. Thanks for the opinion...sid