PDA

View Full Version : Ankyloo pool tables on E-Bay

01-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this company and their pool tables? They seem pretty in-expensive. Also, if I buy a used table and put Simonus 860 on it - do I need to redo the rails? Any suggestions on the pool balls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

01-20-2003, 09:11 AM
If you're going to go with a new table sold on eBay, I would consider the zBilliards line of tables. I've seen a lot Ankyloo on eBay, but have heard no experiences or testimonials about them. zBilliards, on the other hand, I've heard great things about (for the price). I was considering one until I broke the budget and bought a Brunswick locally. The idea of shipping a table in and then trying to find a competant local mechanic to install it made me nervous -- my local shop's mechanics only install the tables they sell. Besides, I've always loved Brunswick equipment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zBilliards was written up in BD back in September or so. Their feedback is great, and they seem to be of quality construction (1" slate with hardwood frame, MOP diamonds, lifetime warranty). I think they average $1200-$1600 on eBay.

I don't recommend mixing cloths on a table, but that may just be the perfectionist in me. The difference in Simonis and napped cloth is significant enough that I think ball rebounds may act a bit funny and inconsistent. Not to mention that when you play on another table that is all Simonis or all napped, the play will be very different than what you're used to. Not that any two tables play exactly the same anyway, but you're introducing more variables that would possibly add more inconsistency that is harder to adjust to.

As far as balls go, most consider Brunswick Centennials or Super Aramith Pro's the best. I prefer Centennials, I think they are of ever-so-slightly higher "grade" than Aramiths, but not enough to significantly matter to most people. I think they are both made at the same Belgium factory, anyway (Saluc?). Either set will cost around $180-$200 online (my local pro shop has $289 MSRP on Centennials!), but I think www.billiardsexpress.com (http://www.billiardsexpress.com) sells Centennial second-quality sets for around $150. Their seconds will still be far better than any of the Far East made polyester or resin balls. Aramith also makes a lower-quality line that is less expensive. I wouldn't spare too much expense -- next to the table, the balls are the most important accessory.

David