PDA

View Full Version : "8-Ball Bar Rules"

Candyman
01-20-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm a rooky player in an area that is Totally confused about Bar Rules. Without going into all of the questions that come up, could ya'll give me the "Basics"? I have already found out that BCA, WPA, & APA Rules are totally different from what is usually played in bars. You guys have a cool site and I have already learned a lot. I appreciate all the help.
Thanks, Candyman

Perk
01-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Bar rules here in my area are as follows:

1. Money breaks.
2. Take what ya get on the break. If you make at least one of each, table is still open.
3. Open tables allow combos using solid/stripe, or stripe/solid.
4. Eightball can be used "inside" a combo
5. Call each shot as it is going to happen if it is not obvious. No need to call "short rails". (So if you are going to call a combo or an OB off another ball, state how the ball is going to get into the pocket)
6. Same for the eightball..call it exactly as it is going to go in.
7. The only fouls are scratches, cb off the table, ob off the table, moving any ball accidently. Fouls lose shot. Behind the head string if it involves the cb.

Thats the simplicity of the bar rules in our area...other rules include each game is for a "soft drink"! Hope that helps.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-20-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Bar rules here in my area are as follows:

1. Money breaks.

<font color="red">Not sure what you mean. Winner breaks here.</font color>

2. Take what ya get on the break. If you make at least one of each, table is still open.

<font color="red">Yup </font color>

<font color="red">Doesn't come up often here. I think it might be considered a bad shot here. </font color>

<font color="red">Yup. Just hit your group first. </font color>

5. Call each shot as it is going to happen if it is not obvious. No need to call "short rails". (So if you are going to call a combo or an OB off another ball, state how the ball is going to get into the pocket)

<font color="red">Yup </font color>

<font color="red">Yup. Except some places you can't carom the 8-ball off another ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Stupid rule. </font color>

7. The only fouls are scratches, cb off the table,

<font color="red">Cue ball behind head string on those.</font color>

ob off the table,

<font color="red">spot ball, lose turn </font color>

moving any ball accidently.

<font color="red">Not a loss of turn here. Just move it back to original position. </font color>

Thats the simplicity of the bar rules in our area...other rules include each game is for a "soft drink"! Hope that helps.
<hr /></blockquote>

Perk
01-20-2003, 02:36 PM
When I was down in NC in service, winner would break..I liked that format...here in Michigan, its money breaks. This means that if you win, you rack the balls for the oncoming opponent. Its designed to give them a chance for their money I guess....I find its harder for them to win the table this way (unless they runout), cause a wide open table is all over....

I am out like Minni-Me playin twister!

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2003, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> When I was down in NC in service, winner would break..I liked that format...here in Michigan, its money breaks. This means that if you win, you rack the balls for the oncoming opponent. Its designed to give them a chance for their money I guess.... <font color="blue">I find its harder for them to win the table this way (unless they runout), cause a wide open table is all over </font color> ....

I am out like Minni-Me playin twister! <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah playing bar-caliber players (like me LOL) it's probably advantageous to let the other guy break. If he doesn't make a ball you have your choice. If he does make a ball chances are he's not going to run out, just open the table up for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm out like Yao Ming in a limbo contest.

01-21-2003, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> I'm a rooky player in an area that is Totally confused about Bar Rules. <hr /></blockquote>

In my opinion, 8 ball bar rules are always confusing everywhere!

Perk
01-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Yao Ming and Minnie Me....LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

landshark1002000
01-23-2003, 12:41 AM
1. Money breaks.
Nope. winner breaks.you're playing for the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Yup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Yup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yup, tell us a story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Yes. We frown on anything less. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
7. The only fouls are scratches, cb off the table, ob off the table, moving any ball accidently. Fouls lose shot. Behind the head string if it involves the cb.
Yes. Ball in hand is not an option. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You can sink the 8 on the break and win. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But I can go a mile up the street and the rules change. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sack316
01-23-2003, 02:40 AM
people play so many different ways that my first rule is to just ask my opponent what rules he or she plays by. And during the match if a situation comes up I ask what their rule is there before I shoot. That way if they lose they have no excuse to whine about afterwards.

Fred Agnir
01-23-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> people play so many different ways that my first rule is to just ask my opponent what rules he or she plays by. <hr /></blockquote>

Typical bar conversation across America (concerning rules):

Fred: Can I play a combination?

Barfly: Yeah, as long as you call every ball.

Fred: Ok, 1 into the 13 into the 2. 2 in the corner.

Barfly: Whoa, hold on. You can't use my ball in a combination.

Fred: Oh. I guess that's why I was asking.

Barfly: You don't play much in bars, huh?

Fred: Uh... well... of course I have.

Barfly: What, you don't pay attention to the rules?

Fred: Uh...well.. I've played all over the world, and every place has there own take on the rules.

Barfly: Well, we play by REAL rules here. Straight 8.

Fred: Cringe

Hope that helped.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the term "Straight 8" should be illegal

Wally_in_Cincy
01-23-2003, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Fred &lt;~~~ thinks the term "Straight 8" should be illegal <hr /></blockquote>

LOL nice script.

Talk about cringing. In the bars around here they call 8-ball call-pocket "straight 8" or {shudder} "straight pool"

Perk
01-23-2003, 08:39 AM
LMAO...Nice post...

Barfly's!!! LOL

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leviathan
01-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Hehehe--beautiful, Fred.

Cringing in sympathy,
D.M.

(Your vignette has reminded me of an encounter I had with a glassy-eyed drunk who wanted to play 8-Ball by "the Texas Express rules.")

dave
01-23-2003, 08:57 AM
The one that I run into sometimes and really irritates me, is when they want to play "call shot", not "call pocket"! And then, they want you to call the number of rails the object ball will contact when cut along the rail and every potential kiss and try to tell you that the rail facing inside the pocket counts as a rail. Some guys have NO clue and make this sh*t up out of desperation and call it straight eight. Sheesh.

phil in sofla
01-23-2003, 06:05 PM
There are already some good summaries of bar pool rules here that I agree with, and will only add a couple more details.

Some places, if you break and make one of one group, and two of the other group (say, 1 solid, 2 stripes), you are the group that you got more down with (stripes in this case).

Whether the 8-ball has to go in clean (no caroms with other balls) or not is a very important rule, and it seems it's about 50-50. (If not 'clean,' as per normal in bar pool, you'd have to describe all the shot, including the kisses).

Sometimes safety play is frowned upon, or outright a cause for a fight if much money is involved, and you are supposed to make a 'good faith effort' whatever that might be. (The well-timed miscue that ends up safe is a big play for that situation).

Sometimes if the opponent scratches, and your last object ball or 8, if you're on the 8, is behind the line, you have the option to spot the ball up to the foot spot for a behind the line shot on it.

Lasty, one regional rule that I understand is played in the Chicago and NY areas-- if you are shooting on the 8 as your object ball, you must make contact with it, or you lose the game. Note, you do not have to make any 'legal' shot, as in get the 8 or something else to a rail after you hit the 8 first. You just have to hit the 8, or lose.

That's why the previous paragraph is important to clarify. Otherwise, potentially, you'd have to kick out of the kitchen, one or more rails back to that ball, and maybe lose if it was the 8.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2003, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> There are already some good summaries of bar pool rules here that I agree with, and will only add a couple more details.

Some places, if you break and make one of one group, and two of the other group (say, 1 solid, 2 stripes), you are the group that you got more down with (stripes in this case).

<font color="red">I've seen this years ago but not lately. It seems the APA rules are slowly creeping into the "barroom" rules causing them to evolve slowly. </font color>

Whether the 8-ball has to go in clean (no caroms with other balls) or not is a very important rule, and it seems it's about 50-50. (If not 'clean,' as per normal in bar pool, you'd have to describe all the shot, including the kisses).

<font color="red">Some places (very few) you can't carom the 8-ball even if you call it. </font color>

Sometimes safety play is frowned upon,

<font color="red">That's an understatement /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but like you said, a good player can disguise it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Sometimes if the opponent scratches, and your last object ball or 8, if you're on the 8, is behind the line, you have the option to spot the ball up to the foot spot for a behind the line shot on it.

<font color="red">I've seen that in bar table nine-ball but not eight-ball </font color>

Lasty, one regional rule that I understand is played in the Chicago and NY areas-- if you are shooting on the 8 as your object ball, you must make contact with it, or you lose the game.

<font color="red">I've heard of that but never actually encountered it. The more common rule when I was a kid was called a "table scratch", if you don't hit a ball (any ball is okay, go figure that /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), it's cue ball behind the headstring. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally~~likes to discuss bar rules, can you tell /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfsburg2
01-24-2003, 09:47 AM
rules will vary but here is how i play.

1)winner breaks

2)open off the break

3) combo off other balls as long as you call it

4)eight must go clean

5)spotting the ball is unusual because it is rarely discussed before the game, and often the deciding shot

*6* very imoprtant rule: winner calls rules!! my table my rules( as long as it's not rediculous. i have found that a lot of spanish cats in my area like to call last pocket(eight must go in the same pocket as the last ball) this is used as a tactic when they are playing an obviously better player

typical conversation for me

me: open off the break

regular: nope, whatever you sink you is

me: combo off other balls if i hit mine first

regular: yup

me: 8 goes clean

regular: yup

me: wanna play for a beer /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2003, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr>

...last pocket(eight must go in the same pocket as the last ball) this is used as a tactic when they are playing an obviously better player...<hr /></blockquote>

The same can be said for "Bank the eight". If the opponent calls that game I usually don't even bother to play.

wolfsburg2
01-24-2003, 10:59 AM
i agree. trying to prolong death. i usually play anyway, but throw out all my morals, and play dirty pool just to win(sink to their level to win at all costs, just to remove them from the table). then once the table is mine we go back to normal rules.

it is frustrating though.

Buzzsaw
01-24-2003, 11:02 AM
You're right there are so many different rules, I like to just ask my opponent what rules they can live by. When I'm playing my friends I end up having to play one handed with my eyes closed, and then after awhile having to bank balls as well (my friends don't play that well).