PDA

View Full Version : Got a gift !!

Hopster
01-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I was at my local cue repair guys place with my wife the other day and i was looking at a dufferin sneaky pete. he wanted $65 for it, i liked it, felt nice and all. So anyway, i said i might pick one up in the future. I come home today and my wife had gone back and picked it up for me !!! That was a nice surprise, lol.
Anyone ever use one and have any comments about it in general. It doesnt have a steel joint, its just wood to wood with the pin in the middle. I figured for that price, how could i go wrong ?

tateuts
01-20-2003, 06:12 PM
For the money, dollar for dollar, ounce for ounce, your wife just bought you the finest stick ever produced. It is rock solid Canadian maple full splice cue. My custom cues can only aspire to hit like my Dufferin cues. I've had them for 14 years now, and every one is still perfectly straight.

The only thing that has really gone wrong with any of them is on one stick the dark maple expanded at a different rate than the light maple over a long period of time. It only takes a tiny amount for this to show (the finish cracks at the splice). A simple sand and refinish did the trick.

Have fun with your sneaky pete!

Chris

01-20-2003, 06:58 PM
I've owned a couple of Dufferin Sneaky Pete's, about 15 years ago, and for the money I think they're very good. I used to use one as my "incognito" bar cue when I didn't want to take my custom, and as a break stick when I did use my custom. I wish I still had them. I just bought 4 Brunswick Medallion 2-piece cues (as part of the Centennial kit) which retail for around $100 each, and they don't feel nearly as nice as I remember my old Dufferins feeling.

David

bell
01-20-2003, 07:16 PM
You got a good cue. You got a GREAT wife!

NH_Steve
01-20-2003, 08:16 PM
I don't know about the cues, but my xmas gift from my wife to me this year was her sending us to the Derby City Classic -- airfare, hotel, and entry in the one pocket! That was the biggest surprise I've ever received for a present, by far, and I had an incredible time there. Have fun with your cue!

ps She owns her own pretty successful business, so no, the money didn't come out of my own credit card /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif -- although even then it would have been well worth it!

qSHAFT
01-20-2003, 09:51 PM
I picked one of those up about 6 months ago. Its the only sort of cue in the cheap price range that has a pro taper, which I had been wanting to check out since most cue's in Australia have constant tapers (our english ancestory no doubt). Also a bonus was the wood to wood join which I rate higher than any other form of join (I usually go for the one pieces to avoid joins altogether).

Word of advise though, strip of the clear sealer coat on the shaft and give it a couple of coats of scandenavian oil to it, makes for the best finish one could ask for.

Nothing pleases me more than having leauge teammates who have expensive custom cues using my dufferins. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
01-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi NH_Steve,

Yes, you are extremely lucky. I too have a wife with the airfare, Riv room, Entry fees paid, and I'm not even out of woods yet. hahahah Gotta lov'em. Without Heide, I wouldn't be here. Without, her relentless devotion and taking on some extreme hardship taking care of me. Yes, she's my "Rock." I appreciate it too.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
01-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Wow, im surprised to hear all the positive feedback about dufferin. Thursday i will get a chance to put it to some use, it would be funny if i like it better than my helmstetter that ive had for about 7 years.
Anyway, thanks for the input folks, always appreciated.

Rod
01-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Where does one find an understanding wife? LOL Not that I'm looking. Dufferin is a good cue and the price is right.

9 Ball Girl
01-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Never mind the wife! Where does one find an understanding husband? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wendy~~Naz did surprise me with my very own custom made break/jump cue last year with some nice words on the butt... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
01-21-2003, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Wendy~~Naz did surprise me with my very own custom made break/jump cue last year with some nice words on the butt... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Be very careful with those guys that put nice words on your butt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif